“Good Beer, Inexcusable Service” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: Rogue Ales Public House, originally named the Bayfront Brewery, was established in May of 1989. Rogue brewed its Ales within the Bayfront Brewery until 1992, when "Howard", the 15 barrel brew system was carried across the Newport Bay to the current location. The old brewery was converted into a poolroom which the locals call the Crustacean Stacean. Outside seating and 35 taps
Oregon
“Good Beer, Inexcusable Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We love Rogue beer, enjoy pub foods and have had decent past experiences here while on vacation. I am a member of Rogue Nation. The latest visit, though, was just sad.

We arrived for an early Tuesday lunch, so the place was quiet even for tourist season. The waitperson invited us to sit where we'd like and we found a window seat; we asked if she was sure we were okay -- it was a little out of the traffic flow. She assured us it was fine, and said she'd be back with menus. We waited. I retrieved a beer list from a couple of tables over. We chose beers, but were still waiting for service.

I got up to find out if all the help had left the building; they had not. When I asked if our helper was around, I received some comment about being absent-minded, but no apology. Fairly soon, we received menus and ordered beer. Awhile later (not quickly -- no sign they were trying to make up for neglect), our beer was served and meal orders were taken.

My chili: cold, perhaps something close to tepid if I wanted to be generous. It went back to the kitchen to be warmed up -- but not until our helper managed to spill a third of my cheese (a tiny little container of dried-out grated cheddar for which we were charged $1) onto the table. On return, I was promised that it was "steaming," but I got warm; warm is okay for eating, and it was of passable quality. The crackers were stale.

The rest of our meal was uneventful. We asked for our check, and a swift return was promised. (Ha!) We waited -- patiently. We gave up, again. We went to the cash register and paid as our wait person ran up to the counter with the check. Again, no apology.

For perspective: We are a very patient, tolerant couple. We tip generously (20%) even for average service. We even left a tip this time, though I really wonder why, and enjoyed the rest of the day. (Our late-afternoon meal's service at a different pub was marvelous, btw.)

Wait staff have bad days, just like the rest of us, but this was beyond the pale. The other staff (who weren't anything close to busy) should have stepped in, sent her home for a nap, and picked up the slack.

The beer -- a juniper ale and a red ale -- gave this the second star.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Page, Arizona
“Outstanding selection of beer :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Loved our waitress, she was a beer expert and teacher of iPhone tricks for photography. We tried the 4 beer sampler, I loved the Chipotle flavored beer, really threw me for a loop. Had the grilled salmon sandwich and was very satisfied. My favorite beer was the Morimoto Pilsner (yes, the Iron Chef) and bought a large bottle on the way out. Restroom facilities were a bit funky, but I understand that the brewery came before the restaurant. :)

Visited July 2013
Helena, Montana, United States
“Great lineup of Brews....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Tried a bunch of beers....from Dead Guy ale, Hazelnut Brown to Beard Ale...story is a little weird but tastes good. Probably should have bought a tshirt but settled for a bumper sticker. Went to the brewery later....this location is better for a family on the port and kicking around.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dickinson
“Our server was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We ate here while staying in Newport as part of our 9 day coastal trip. Our server Nikki (I believe that is the spelling) was great! My husband is the beer drinker and she was very knowledgeable about the different brews and brought him samples he might like. She even moved us over to the window when a table became available so we could have a view of the water! The kids loved that their meals came served on a Frisbee and that they had board games to play while we waited. My husband and I shared the sliders (they were very good) and I had the chowder also. Nikki also started the Passport program/card for my husband too (he was very excited about that). The food was very good for a brewery and I liked that we got to walk thru the brewery to get to the restaurant. This Rogue was ten times better than the one in Astoria (that's another review I have if you want to read it!)

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Townsend, Washington
“Colleen was the best server, ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our family of about 16 people were warmly welcomed in the restaurant by Colleen, who efficiently moved some tables together to accommodate our large party and she went on the be literally the best server I think I've ever had, and I'm a grandmother. I could go on and on about her and her personality, but the food and beer were great, two. Several in our party are vegetarians, and we all loved our food. Colleen brought little taster glasses for each of us who wanted to sample different beers, and she was very knowledgeable about their large selection. I would recommend this restaurant and brewery to anyone visiting or passing through Newport.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere