“More than happy” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 97 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, Asian fusion, Vegan
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are Located on west end of the bay front near by coast guard , Newport , Oregon. All combination of Thai food and seafood in Thai style.
Portland, Oregon
“More than happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Came here for lunch after finding my intended restaurant was closed. Pleasantly surprised. I had Pad Woon Sen with Tofu and ordered it spicy (they have mild, medium, spicy, very spicy or Thai spicy). It had a wonderful kick to it. The kind where your lips tingle and burn a bit but you can still enjoy the flavors. Yum. (Clearly, if you don't like spicy stick with the mild.) The tofu was great, semi-crispy on the outside softer in the center without being mushy. Veges were cooked al dente which was perfectly fine although, if I had the choice, I tend to prefer fully cooked veges with dishes like these because they seem to pick up flavors more. Overall, I was very happy with the dish. An added (unexpected) bonus was the small starter cup of lemongrass tofu and vegetable soup which comes with the lunch. Great! All for $8.95... Not bad.

The service was excellent, very attentive and they aim to please. They are under new ownership as of September '13 and I hope they do well. Other things which may interest you: 1) They are able to adjust dishes to be gluten free as needed, 2) They can make a Thai coffee dairy free using coconut milk, 3) they have Vietnamese Pho as well as Thai food, 4) Delivery, take-out, and catering are additional services listed on their menu.
I'm hard pressed to believe you'll be disappointed if you come here. I'll be back.

Madison
“Great food, slightly inconsistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We were on the Bayfront and looking for a reasonably priced lunch. We spotted M&P Thai and their $8.95 lunch specials looked very good. Another sign said "under new mgt.". Our first lunch there was absolutely delicious. I had the chicken cashew dish and hubby had the ginger chicken dish, ordered "medium spicey". We were both extremely happy. So happy in fact that we returned 3 days later and ordered the very same dishes. Perhaps we weren't clear on the "medium" heat we wanted, but our dishes were VERY hot. Now I like some heat, but this had my eyes watering and sadly the heat was so much that I couldn't taste the excellent sauce and other flavors that I'd enjoyed previously. We definitely plan to go back again and this time I'll make myself try a different dish (oh but I love that cashew chicken....) and be more clear about the heat level. The managers/operators are extremely nice and eager to please. I think they will do well. Oh, and the soup both times was pretty good, though the small spring roll that comes with lunch was fantastic!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Washington
“Awesome and worth a visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were in Newport in early November and decided to check out M&P Thai - it was our first time. The service is excellent - the waitress is very kind and patient and gracious.

What I love about Thai and Chinese restaurants is that I can get a few appetizers instead of a full entree and have lots of variety with more than enough to eat. We shared an order of pot stickers and I got the fish cakes which came with a cucumber sauce but was more like a small cucumber salad. Both of these were very tasty and flavorful. My husband ordered a pad entree that he enjoyed quite a lot. The food is presented well and I cannot wait to go again to try a few other appetizers.

This would also be a good place to order some food for take out. The restaurant is clean and we had a great dining experience. The food is not expensive either. At the end of the meal, they bring you a bowl of orange slices which is a refreshing palate cleaner.

We go to Newport at least once a year for a week and it has become one of our favorites. I also loved seeing the TRIPADVISOR sign on the front door. Always a good sign!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newport, Oregon
“Who wrote those other reviews? This place is not very good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The service (by the owners) was attentive and polite and clearly they have a desire to please. But the food -- if I'm generous I'll say it was average. We've had good Thai in town, and a reliable option is Thai Elephant on Hwy 101, which is decent but not super authentic. M & P tried hard. But the soup was watery, the noodles undercooked, and the spring rolls were pre-made so the wrapper was dried out and chewy. We thought we could improve the situation with a glass of wine, but even the $6 glass of wine was a scant pour, so we didn't feel like ordering another. The experience was disappointing. For the same price, go across the street to Noodle Cafe, where you can get a Thai curry that is thick, rich, packed with veggies, and features noodles made fresh in house.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
South Beach, Oregon
“Excellent Thai food that compares with the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have been coming to M&P Thai since the first week they opened. I grew up in Los Angeles, where some of the best Thai food outside of Thailand is available. Imagine my surprise to discover that the food at M&P Thai compares to the best of the best in L.A. Every dish has been fresh, perfectly spiced and delicious. The Tom Kha Gai soup is exceptional. The Drunken Noodle dish is to die for. One night I decided to try something different and had the clay pot shrimp. It was delicately flavored with ginger and was exquisite. Honestly, every dish we've had has been superb, and everyone we've taken to the restaurant has been delighted with the quality of the food. The owners are a lovely young couple, who along with their mother do all the cooking and serving. We feel so fortunate to have this great restaurant in Newport!

• Visited October 2013