“It looks pretty cool from 2.2 miles away...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 18 Attractions in Newport
Type: Lighthouses, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Parks, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Soaring more than 93 feet in height, this is the tallest lighthouse on the Oregon coast.
Nashville
17 attraction reviews
“It looks pretty cool from 2.2 miles away...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I planned to visit the Yaquina Head Lighthouse on October 1, 2013, after the remains of Typhoon Pabuk finally blew away. When we arrived, we found the entrance gate locked, and "DO NOT ENTER" signs posted in several places. It turns out that the US Bureau of Land management (BLM) operates the lighthouse, and as of that morning, the BLM was furloughed due to the Government shutdown of 2013. After cussing a lot, and griping with some other visitors who were visiting from overseas, we stopped wasting time and looked for a place to view the lighthouse from afar. It is not visible from where we were due to high ground between the entrance and the lighthouse. The park grounds are quite extensive for just a small lighthouse, and we would have had to walk more than a half-mile (each way) down the park road just to reach a point where we could see the lighthouse. Plus we would have risked arrest. I felt confident that the law enforcement guys were “essential” and were not furloughed. So we drove back into Newport looking for a good viewpoint. We could have driven north and viewed it from about a mile away, but the sun would have been in our faces, so we drove south. We found a spot that offered a great view, albeit more than 2 miles away. For anyone interested, the viewpoint was near 1245 NW Spring Street, just north of the junction with NW 12th Street, about 0.3 mile south of US 101. With my 640 mm lens, I took some decent photos, but we were still disappointed that we couldn’t tour the lighthouse.

The lighthouse might rate higher than 3 stars on Tripadvisor, but I have no way of knowing since we couldn’t get closer than 2.2 miles away.

Visited October 2013

Beaverton, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Great for birdwatching”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Great place for watching birds or whales. We saw a peregrine falcon on the rocks, catching some sun and probably catching his dinner too. We didn't get to the tide pools this time - the wind was too strong and we weren't dressed for it. Spend the time to take the lighthouse tour - I always learn something.

Portland, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Great place to explore!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Although not fabulous for toddlers, we survived! I enjoyed the view while chasing my child. For older kids (old enough to listen and follow directions) tons of fun to explore! Worth the $7 to get into the park!

San Diego, California
47 attraction reviews
“Something for Everyone Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We were rushed for time so unable to enjoy the tide pools and bird watching this trip, but we did enjoy the lighthouse and Interpretive Center. Interesting that Oregon's tallest (this lighthouse) and shortest (Cape Meares) lighthouses are just a couple hours distance apart. The Interpretive Center was so well done - one of the best. Easy to get to and only a short distance off US 101.

San Jose, California
“One of my favorite places to visit on the Oregon coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have been coming here since 2010 and find it one of my all time favorite destinations. From bird watching to tide pooling or just taking a stroll up the vista point, the Yaquina Outstanding area can provide anyone with something to do and see. The lighthouse at the tip of the point is the tallest out of all the lighthouses on the Oregon coast. A must hear/see opportunity are the rocks below the steps to the left of the lighthouse. When the waves crash the shore they bring thousands, if not millions, of these palm sized rounded stones up onto the shore creating a chiming noise and as the tide goes back out these same stones follow the waves back out creating an even louder chiming. Real cool! The area also provides an interpretive center and gift shop, Though the last time I was gift shopping for my family there, a not so friendly "Gene" I believe his name was the cashier. He didn't smile or even thank me for my purchase. After spending $80 plus you would think I'd at least get a thank you. I normally purchase gifts here for two reasons 1) family and friends and 2) it goes to a good cause, now I'll just skip the gift shop and pay the entrance fee. Regardless, the Yaquina Oustanding Area will always have a place in my heart and soul as I look forward to the next time I visit this place.