“Awesome location and views. Awful rooms, facilities in poor condition.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Agate Beach Inn

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #7 of 25 hotels in Newport
“Awesome location and views. Awful rooms, facilities in poor condition.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel has the potential to be the premier destination and high-end hotel of choice - a potential that is severely under-tapped by the owners.

Awesome views and location. Mediocre facilities and rooms. Some say two stars are generous for this Agate Beach Best Western hotel. For hotels in this price range, this would be rated the lowest.

Pros:
Awesome unbeatable location right on the beach (with walkable beach access).
Rooms with wall-to-wall glass windows with the view of the beach, the ocean and the lighthouse.

Cons:
Great views handi-capped by room balconies with no furniture to sit in and enjoy the balcony.
Everything thing about the hotel was outdated... felt like they are still using the facilities last renovated a few decades ago. (rooms, wood-trim, furniture, door paints, iron rust on metal surfaces, partly working microwaves, stuffy and smelly hallway carpets, etc). Wood trim was falling apart, chipped, etc.
To be fair, they are going thru lot of construction work and carpet replacements. But they still charge the same rate as a fully normal hotel.
Front desk lady could not have been any less friendlier; it seemed she was banned from smiling ever. Last day, a different front desk lady showed up who was friendlier and cheerful.
Spa was not functioning.

The hotel owners are really missing out on a jewel of a location they have. Other competitive hotels in the area should take note and target BW's customers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Judy K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Hello A4TA,

I am sorry that your stay with us was not a good experience. Yes we are a older hotel but as you mentioned we are doing allot of things to upgrade our rooms and corridors to make them more inviting and up to date, I can't wait for it to be complete. I do hope that when we are done you will come stay with us again and see what we have done! Thank you for taking the time to write your review!

418 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Somewhat dated decor in lobby and rooms. Tiny bathroom. Microwave and mini fridge with freezer were ok but configured in the room in a way that made the room feel smaller/bisected. Bedding was noticeably nicer than most coastal hotels. The temperature of the pool and hot tub was perfect and really increased our use of and enjoyment of both. The fitness equipment is very dated though the eliptical was usable. They have a couple of arcade games.

Priced a little higher than I would have liked to pay for this quality....a phenomenon of the beach location I'm sure.

No breakfast is included. We brought our own and dined at nearby Nye's beach options. About 1/4 mile from tide pools and interpretive center at the Yaquina Head lighthouse.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view. They were remodeling the 6th floor so those rooms may be best in the near futur...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Judy K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hello Lookin4luxury,

Thank you for your review, As you mentioned we have started a redecorating project! We are getting all new carpet in all of the rooms as well as corridor carpet, New art work, and lamps and chairs. So we should be more modern looking by the time we are all done! I am glad that you enjoyed our pool area as we get a lot of guest who say they come here for our pool! We hope that you will return and see all the updated we are doing!
Redding, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Nice room, friendly people, clean... but PAPER thin walls - no privacy. We had top floor best room in house, noisy... neighbor noise like you can hear every word they say, Hall noise. Restaurants have nose dived since we were here 1 year prior. Restaurant staff are sloogy slow old mom types who are very nice, but really slow and unenthused - makes eating there a depressing experience. Menu is plain plain plain but pricy. Great location, great view, awesome beach... just plan to eat away from the hotel as they just do not get good food and good service. Highly reccomend April's in the Nye district for nice dinner or Saffron Salmon in old town. This hotel has Denny's quality food, nothing wrong with that, just plain and way over priced for what it is. This is our 4th time staying here for several days each time in last 6 years.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Judy K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I appreciate your review! It is nice to know how our guest perceive us! I am very sorry about the service you received in the dining room. I usually get good comments on the service so I was surprised! I will be passing along your comments to our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager so that they will know how our guests see things. Again I apologize and hope you will give us another try!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It's a hotel... I normally would have a lot to say, but the hotel is just a well rounded hotel. The beach is pretty neat here. Well worth the stay, but make it a 2 day stop, not one. If your looking for really comfy beds, it comes in a little short. Better than most rooms at the cost. No continental breakfast is a huge draw back.

• Stayed March 2013
I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Due to the full service restaurant we do not offer a free breakfast, However our chef does offer and $5.00 special each morning! I appreciate you taking the time to right your review!
Canby, Oregon, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited this hotel for her birthday and a night away from the kids. The room had a nice view of the beach and ocean. The pool and hot tub are the norm for hotels. We were woke up at 815 by housekeeping wanting to clean the room. After answering the door the lady said sorry then went to the room nect to us. She was banging the vacuum against the wall so there was no going back to sleep. Check out is not until noon but we got the feeling they wanted us out asap. We will not be back and if you want to sleep in I would suggest you stay some where else!

• Stayed March 2013
I am so sorry about your stay with us, What you experienced is unacceptable to me and I will be working personally with housekeeping to keep this from happening again. I appreciate the comments so that I may follow up on this, I do hope you will reconsider and give us another try! Again I apologize!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed at the BW Agate Beach Inn on business this week for one night. I did not have a reservation but was easily able to walk in on a Wednesday evening and get a room. The room was an ocean view, and it the view was beautiful. It had a small balcony, but for standing only. The bed was super comfortable and I appreciated the flat screen TV. There was a small fridge and microwave, but otherwise this was a standard BW as far as furnishings go. Clean, but slightly dated. The heater was hard to find and understand how to set it, so I found myself turning the dial a few times to get the temp just right. There were no instructions, just a dial on a black box on the wall!

I had dinner at the sports bar on property. It was a slow night and I very much enjoyed the company of Miriam at the bar. I could tell as the regulars streamed in that she was a local favorite. Food was as described. Basic menu, but tasted good and fresh and fairly priced. The hotel isn't within walking distance to much where its at, so the restaurant and bar were a very welcome sight. As a female traveling alone, I felt very safe and thought the service was spectacular at this property. All in all it was a great stay and I would stay here again when I'm in town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us! I know traveling alone as a women is sometimes scary so I am glad you felt safe at our hotel! Our hotel is an older property but we will start the end of this month with getting new carpet and other items have been ordered. I appreciate your review!
Portland, Oregon, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The beds are awesome and comfortable. However the Restaurants food was less than agreeable, super greasy eggs and extremely dry and flavorless french toast. The wait staff are amazing. Very attentive and cheerful, but you just can't overcome bad food.

Our room was not cleaned one day. because we took our do not disturb sign down at 11am. Housecleaning never came back to check. Even though we saw them on our way out. When I called the front desk to have them check on getting it cleaned at 3pm. they told me house keeping was gone for the day. They dropped a bag a clean towels but the room went uncleaned.

The view from the room was great right above the beach and beautiful.
Unfortunately, the room was not insulated well and we spent the weekend listening to neighbors conversation.

I would not stay here again. I would just Rent a house instead.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Judy K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I can not tell you how sorry I am about the food and maid service! I do hope that you let your server know how disappointed you were with your breakfast so they could fix it for you! As for the maid service, There is always someone on staff that could have done the service so I am not sure what happened there. I appreciate the comments so that I may follow up on what happened. I do hope that you might change your mind and give us another try!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Agate Beach Inn? Share your experiences!