“Do not stay!” 2 of 5 stars

538 SW Coast Hwy, Newport, OR 97365   |
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Newport
“Do not stay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Pubic hair and trash in the bathroom not to mention the tub was broken and it felt like you were falling through the soft cracks. Front desk was a jerk when I mentioned that it was filthy and argued that it was all sparkly clean. Totally disgusted will never stay here again! Also not ada friendly unless you want to pay a ton more!

• Stayed June 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This place is CHEAP. I love to find a deal, so when I found this place for $49 a night on a busy weekend, I jumped. Look before you leap is the lesson here. The room was dingy, the window had no screen, the bed made me want to sleep in my clothes and I felt cleaner by NOT showering. My husband and I had a great time playing at the beach and enjoying some cocktails, which gave me the ability to relax my instinctual "EWWW" response and fall asleep on the bed. (But NOT the bedspread. Never the bedspread. I think I recall hearing it crunch as I ripped it from the bed.) However, I woke in the morning covered in bug bites. SHUTTER! I can't say with certainty what kind of attack I was under, only that I was itchy and disgusted and saw something scamper down the headboard while my husband laid there innocently. I would say that the best thing about this place is that they are located across the street from Pig and Pancake. They would probably get more business if they mentioned that in their ads. Either way, I will take my chances of being forced to sleep in the car rather than stay another night at this motel. Oh, they do offer Sunny D in the lobby as part of their 'continental breakfast'. I can't speak to the rest of the offerings since I was running screaming from the building after I dropped off the key.

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs. Apparently these are the "refinished" rooms. I can't even imagine...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Me and my boyfriend wanted to get away for the weekend, the weekend of the wine festival this yr. We had fun the whole weekend, but when checking into the room with a kitchen the walls had dried snot on them and the kitchen had some kind of crap on the counters. In the bathroom, there was a hand print over the toilet. The maid staff don't clean anything, and me being an ex housekeeper and front desk staff in a couple hotels, I know what to look for. Also the sheets had some kind of yellow stain on them and we didn't sleep on them. The cords to the tv and phone( where it meets the wall) were barley hanging there. If I was to call the code inspector like I almost did, they would have been shut down. Also the heater was broken somehow, cause when you turned on the heat just a little bit, it was like a sauna in the whole room. The size was the only thing that I could say that I liked for the price. I will never ever stay at this place ever again.

Room Tip: Here is a tip, don't stay at this motel ever.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised for what I got for the budget price. I stayed on the 2nd floor. Spacious room, very comfortable bed, micro & fridge in the room, TV & remote worked fine, water temp & pressure was very good. The decor was simple, it's not the prettiest or most updated, but I got a good night's sleep in a clean room. The lobby offered free coffee, donuts, muffins & bananas in the morning.
As with any hotel, you get some road noise if you stay by a busy road, & some noise from neighbors, but nothing that kept me from having a decent stay. Housekeeping could've waited til a little later than 8am to start vacuuming. I will stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

As avid visitors to Newport Oregon, this has got to be the worst looking hotel inside and out me, and my fiance have ever stayed in. The day we arrived to get into our room around 11 am we were told that our room would not be done being cleaned until 2 PM, upon arriving again at 2:40 we were given our room on the bottom floor and found a pair of soiled underwear in our bathroom. We were transferred to another room, again on the bottom floor and this time had the remote missing from our room. The drain in the shower was clogged, paint literally peeling off the walls, and tiles missing from the bathroom, and Earwigs were literally everywhere in our room. The one good point this place has is that the local bars are within walking distance, so you can drink and forget your horrible experience.

Room Tip: If you are forced to stay here, don't stay on the bottom floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The front desk clerk was really helpful and accommodating.. we were on a family road trip and my parents wanted rooms on the 1st floor and adjacent to each other "so they can check on us "kids". 1st floor had no adjacent room but the 2nd floor did. 2nd floor were the "remodeled rooms" and the 1st were not. He grabbed both sets of keys and gave us a tour of the options we had so we could choose. For service this place gets a 5 star. .. We ended up choosing the 1st floor and the bigger floor plan. 1 bathroom 2 queens with couch/tv and dining table. most spacious of all the hotels we stayed in during our trip. Can't really expect too much from here given the price and location.
The rooms both remodeled and old... still needed a little help and smelled like people have smoked in there for decades ( even the non smoking rooms). As for the smell.. nothing a $1 candle from Walmart couldn't solve. oh.. forgot that 1 of the two bathrooms didn't have a shower curtain... Dont know what happened there.. but by the time we noticed it, it was too late, parents just hung up a towel over the bar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This rustic, roadside motel has a very UN-inviting iexterior/interior and depressing looking parking lot. But, it does offer a LOWER RATE, free wifi and free breakfast. Within the BARGAIN hotel class, I'd give it 3 Stars; however, for a GENERAL hotel rating,  it'd be closer to a 2Stars ranking.

This rustic, roadside motel has a very UN-inviting exterior and depressing looking parking lot. Its room's interior renders an uncomfortable feeling. But, it does offer a LOWER RATE ($60-70 in peak season), free wifi and free breakfast. Its reception staff WAS also very accommodating and helpful at our check in.

ADDITIONAL DETAIL:
- A late evening in July, my wife and I were passing through Newport on Hwy101. As none of the hotels had vacancy except Newport City Central, we stopped by to take a look, albeit quite reluctantly. Its appearance reminded us some rundown motels in the back country. They only had 2 rooms left. Our room was spacious, with 2 queen size beds, BUT its interior decor gave us an discomforting feeling. Well, it was available that night for $69.99, and all other hotels were sold out.

The reception desk told us that the motel had several rooms renovated. But, unfortnately, none was available that night. So, I don't know what their renovated room looks like.

It's cheap, but you get what you pay for. It could probably be a good motel to stay for a lower-cost, RUSTIC outdoor trip, e.g., hiking and/or fishing. But, for more comfortable, relaxing vacation trip, another known-brand bargain hotel, is probably more preferrable, even having to pay a little bit more. In my opinion, if this motel continues its renovation, adding more warmth and comfort to its rooms; color and class to improve the appearance of its doors and parking lot, it could well become a very nice motel - what with its convenient location and good staff.

Peterskis, July 2012

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Newport City Center Motel? Share your experiences!