“We liked it!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Save 15% Now!
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Newport
“We liked it!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

After reading some of the reviews I was very hesitate about booking here. I was pleasantly surprised though once we arrived. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was nice and clean and for being a pet room it didn't have a pet smell at all. We were disappointed when we found out there was no hot tub but our daughter enjoyed the pool. Overall we had an excellent stay....especially since we brought our dog and they just have a flat fee instead of a nightly rate for him.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Elizabeth S,
Thank you for taking the time to offer your review of the Newport Shilo Inn on the Central Oregon Coast. We are always happy to accommodate our 4 legged friends at a realistic value to our guests. I am happy to hear that my team was professional and helpful during your stay as that is one of our top priorities. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Mike Willock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

While we really enjoyed the view from our room and the large room, ( we had 2 queen size beds, a table and two chairs and ample room for 2 grandkids to play near the window), the furnishings were dated. The room was very clean and smelled clean. We were greeted at the desk by a very friendly staff and offered an upgrade to be in the building with a pool.
That pool had restrooms adjacent to the pool but the water was a little cloudy. It was 3 feet deep throughout which was perfect for our emerging little swimmers but older kids might find it too shallow. The other pool was a walk across the parking lot and it had NO restrooms or dressing rooms so we had to take our granddaughters back across the parking lot to use our room's restroom then back across the parking lot to the pool again. That second pool was warmer and had a deeper end to it. There was no hot tub as shown on the internet. Towels were provided at both locations.
The breakfast menu at the morning cafe had a good selection for a reasonable cost. However, the evening restaurant, was a little pricey for the quality of food. The morning cafe's staff was warm, friendly and provided great service. While the evening restaurant's hostess was also warm and welcoming, our server was very, very slow. The views in both restaurants were wonderful ... right on the beach and we could watch the surf and sunset.

Room Tip: Rooms in the D building are a bit bigger. If you have little ones, you can simply go downstairs to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear CollinsVancouver,
I am happy to hear about your experience and that we were able to create a nice environment for your grandkids. Having the 2 pools here at the Newport Shilo property is certainly a big hit with the families and your comments on improvemnts are certainly appreciated. I will make sure both the Café and Restaurant receive your valued feedback and we all thank you for staying with us during your trip.

Mike Willock,
Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We love this hotel, this is always our first choice. We like the price, amenities, and the rooms! The restaurant attached is a little pricey, but you don't have to eat there. They have a nice pool and hot tub and the best part is you can get there without running across the parking lot in your swim suit! We love the balcony's off of every room. Great beach access! The front desk staff is always polite and helpful! Ask them for aquarium coupons! They have candy on the counter to keep your kids mouths busy while you check in. lol! Just Kidding. They are very nice to the kids!

Room Tip: All rooms are great here!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear KariHAlbany,
Thank you for taking the time to offer your kind feedback on your recent trip to the coast. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Spring Break 2014. After mistakenly booking a hotel without a swimming pool we moved to the Shilo. We have never stayed at Shilo and will never stay at Shilo again. It looks like a very nice hotel. It is on the bluff above the ocean so you have a lovely ocean view. That's where the positives end. The add NW Coast showed 2 swimming pools and a hot tub at this location. Well, there is NO hot tub and while there are two swimming pools they are a rather distant walk from the building with our room. If you'd like to pay extra you can stay in a room in the building near the pool. By the way, since I'm stuck on the pool....the larger pool has no changing room. We drove to the building with the other pool (much smaller than the first) so that we would have a changing room. The weather was miserable and we didn't want to be walking through a blowing rainstorm. We were surprised by the size of this pool but what was even more surprising was the size of the changing room. It was a bathroom with no place to sit (except the toilet) to change and nothing on the floor (no rubber mat). There was no shower for before or after your swim. The water was clean and a comfortable temperature but several people left because it was small for the number of people in it (most of them small children). Towels are supplied at the pool but we had to ask an attendant to refill them. So much for the pool business. Our room was much smaller than we expected. It appeared that it had been cleaned by a teenager who couldn't go hang out with his friends until his room was clean. The floor didn't appear to have been vacuumed. There was a ring of some sticky substance from the bottom of a glass on the night table. Thankfully before we left to go to the baseball tournament we were watching I checked the windows; both of the windows were unlocked. Had they had screens we might have opened them because the room smelled like an animal (dog or cat) had been locked inside. There was a light outside our room and the drapes are not darkening drapes so all night we were trying to sleep with light shining through our room. I've read other peoples reviews about the shabbiness of this hotel and I concur with them. There was a hole at our door where the doorsweep was broken.....who knows what came through that hole! (see picture) It's unfortunate that "Affordable Excellence" has gone out the window of this hotel. As far as the price, we paid about $20 more to have the swimming pool than to have the fine room the night before without a swimming pool. When my husband was checking out the person at the desk gave him no personal attention....going from phone call to phone call and totally ignoring him. He finally left the key and we left agreeing never again to stay at a Shilo hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to use the pool be sure and ask for a room near the pool (keep in mind only one of them...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear 1mahalo,
Thank you for offering this feedback on your stay with us and for providing areas of improvement. We are always looking for ways to provide better service and amenities for our guests and hearing true input is always valuable. I apologies for the housekeeping items you refereed to and will certainly make corrections to address these matters. Spring Break can be a busy time here in Newport and I know many families like to enjoy our pools and views. Thank you again for providing this feedback and how a wonderful day.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just read the other reviews and I have to say that when I called to make my reservation (Mike) I think was very personable. Then when checking in Mandi working the front desk up graded me to a very nice room overlooking the ocean. When I went down to print some things for work I over heard an older gentleman (no offence) didn't get your name. Having very much fun with the arriving guests. Had dinner in there lounge and (ken) I think, was very personable also. Yes I do feel that the entire town of Newport is over priced! Even tho every hotel told me," well its there high season" because of spring break... REALLY? Its March in OR, its still cold and not a hotel was full so I'm glad this hotel worked (a little) with me. But still over priced. Not fair that I Pay less in Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Milwaukee and many other MAJOR city's, just because I'm by the ocean, there's a lot more to do in a major city. Other than that I would recommend this hotel and hope you will give it a try.

Room Tip: ask for any type of up grade that they will offer you, preferably Ocean view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Brent S,
We truly appreciate you offering your remarks and feedback regarding your recent stay at the Newport Shilo Inn. I am happy to hear that you found both the hotel and restaurant employees to be helpful, professional and personable. It is very important to us that our guests enjoy the views we can provide, but providing exceptional service is a top goal of ours with each guest. Thank you again and we hope to see you back on the Oregon Coast soon.

Chehalis, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on the weekend of 2/28/14 attending the Newport Seafood & Wine Festival. I will recommend the festival but not the hotel.

I am writing this review not as much because of the shabby condition of the rooms but more because of the insult caused by what they charge the traveler for them.

Regardless of what brings you to their community, the hotel industry there should refrain from taking advantage of you the customer. Supply and demand is no excuse when the imbalance is THIS apparent. Put the money you made from me back into the hotel and improve the experience...

The hotel is shabby in appearance as soon as you leave the front lobby and approach the rooms. Our rooms facing the ocean had large decks in front that connected each room. The views are unremarkable and....the boards in the decks were becoming warped, an end of a board in front of our room was protruding up needing to be nailed back down and was an obvious trip hazard, especially to someone arriving at night such as we did ! The paint was chipped and peeling in large areas, obvious neglect on the behalf of the maintenance department, manager and /or anyone responsible for safety from corporate...

The floor in our room shook enough from the simple act of walking on it enough to make the entertainment center doors move, the poor thing just squeaked and moaned as you passed by.... TV was small and old, very dated and unimpressive for $160.00 per night.

You get a luxurious 'single' cup coffee maker, uh-humm...

Finally when you look up at the ceiling in the bathroom you see that the spackle or paint finish is pocked from moisture and coming off... Finally... the hole where the combination light/fan is mounted in the ceiling has space around the housing large enough to stick your fingers through into the space above the ceiling....

AND ALL THIS FOR OVER $160.00 PER NIGHT !

These are small uncomfortable rooms that appear to date back to the 80's (Probably the last time they saw any maintenance).... Worth maybe $45.00 per night at best. We stayed because it was nearly impossible to book ANYWHERE else on the Seafood/Wine Festival weekend but that is what I would recommend you do.... book ANYWHERE else when you travel to Newport ....it will be the last of our stays at this establishment...

Shilo Newport .... I know you from Seaside, Oregon, the Portland Airport and several other locations and while you've never been a luxury or great value location by any measure you've never (to my knowledge) gouged we Pacific Northwest locals like this.... ...You should be embarrassed.....

Room Tip: Don't do it !
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear cobalt61,
Thank you for taking your time to offer this insight during your stay on the central Oregon coast. I appreciate your feedback and will certainly look into these maintenance items you have mentioned. The Seafood and Wine Festival is one of the largest draws to Newport during the year and is a great boost to the local economy in the off season. We have a nice variety of rooming types available at our Newport property and hope you will try them out during a future stay.
Mike Willock, General Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently went to this motel with my family and brothers family the guy at the front desk was very rude about my brothers shirt we asked for conjoined rooms and we got side by side rooms with no entry into each other the TVA were old and no balcony we went down to the front desk and the old guy working there started literally yelling at my brothers wife very un professional and the rooms were just okay not nearly worth the price

Stayed February 2014
Dear Jarrellbrad,
I would like to offer my deepest apologies regarding this matter and to let you know I have personally addressed this issue. Our goal is to create an enjoyable and relaxing experience for our guests and again I apologize that we did not deliver this during your stay.
Mike Willock

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport? Share your experiences!