“Ocean View, otherwise a human warehouse” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Tripadvisor Fans Save 15%
Ranked #15 of 25 hotels in Newport
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Ocean View, otherwise a human warehouse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Not too much exciting to say other than being on the ocean. Price for room seemed to be a premium one for the quality of the lodging. We stayed here in the past and last summer chose to try it again when in Newport for my wife's birthday. Sadly, it was not what we had remembered. Bathroom was not clean (hand grime buildup on door which I was able to scrub off with washcloth and water) and overall furnishings dated. Bed was mediocre. For the cost, you can do better. We have already made reservations for another stay in Newport and have passed on the Shilo for that upcoming trip.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn - Newport, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear WmMorris1960,

I appreciate your return visit to our property in Newport Oregon and I value your feedback in regards to your recent stay. I will make sure to reiterate the importance of cleanliness to my team and will work to ensure these items are not overlooked. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Best Regards,

345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My family stayed here during the 2013 Labor Day weekend. It was a last minute thing. I compared prices from several travel websites but then found a good deal from Shilo Inn website. I was a bit skeptical at first, especially after reading some of the negative reviews. But then decided to book this hotel anyway due to its location to the beach. We got our room in Building D, which apparently the newer building, with spacious clean room & beach view (though the website said 'partial view'). After our first day, the kids begged to stay longer, so we added another night there.In the morning, it felt like we were in a private beach with gorgeous view of the ocean.
Even though the stairs to the beach was a little steep, (about 90 something steps...;-)) but it was worth it! Oh, they also have 2 indoor pools, the kids loved it.
We definitely will stay in this hotel again & highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for Building D, the newer building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vratu,

It is great to hear that your family enjoyed a wonderful Labor Day Weekend with us here at the Shilo Inn Oceanfront Resort in Newport Oregon. I truly appreciate you taking the time to offer your experience during your stay and we look forward to having you and your family join us again for another great beach getaway.

Best Regards,

Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My Fiance went on a road trip down Highway 101 it was the best road trip we stoped in, Newport Or and stayed at Shilo Inn beach front the motel is a nice place our room was very clean we ate at the shilo restaurant the food was good the only down fall was it was a little hike down the steps to the beach but all in all I would highlly recommend this hotel and we would stay here again

• Stayed October 2013
Shilohotels, Manager at Shilo Inn - Newport, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Angie S,

It is wonderful to hear about your Highway 101 adventure and that the Newport Oceanfront Shilo Inn was able to be a great addition in your trip. Having an incredible view of the Pacific Ocean is certainly a reward for anyone traveling to the Oregon Coast and I am happy we provided you with a memorable experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you and your family join for many visits to come.

Newport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

It was a nice clean room. Great view and the food was really good. The staff there where very friendly. The beach access was a little steep but it was worth the hike to get to the beach. I really don't have much else to say. Why do we have to have 200 characters?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Dean P,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to offer this positive feedback on your stay here at the Newport Shilo Inn on the Oregon Coast. I am happy you were provided with a great experience from both my hotel and restaurant staff and I will certainly pass this message along to them. We thank you again for staying with us and I hope to have you join us again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband & I stayed here our last night of an 8 day Oregon Coast vacation. The night before we stayed at a hotel that wasn't on the beach. I decided to call around to try & find a place with an ocean view (on a Friday morning). Upon calling this Shilo I was told they had a room, but it would only be a partial view. We were able to check in when we arrived at 2:30 pm and were given a room with a full oceanfront view, which I was thrilled with. The check in process was great, the staff very accommodating and cheerful. The room was fine & clean, but could really use updating. We liked being able to park right in front of our room's door as it made for easy loading and unloading of baggage. It was a steep decline down steps with railings to get down to the beach, but there was a bench half-way for resting.
We were given coupons for the on site restaurant when we checked in so we had dinner there. The free house Cabernet was good. My husband had the clam chowder, which was horribly bland. He didn't even eat half of it. My dinner was very good. I had the sirloin with baked potato and asparagus. The sourdough bread was great. Even though we didn't make a fuss about the bad clam chowder, they took it off of our bill.
Overall, it was a very pleasant stay for one night and I took some excellent photos of that night's sunset from the comfort of our room.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have an oceanfront view.
Dear Deanna J,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your insightful feedback during your stay at the Newport Oceanfront Shilo Hotel. I am happy to hear about all your experiences during your stay and that my staff was able to make your time with us more enjoyable. I will pass along your kind comments to my restaurant team as well. It is always nice to hear about our guest’s pleasant stays with us and that they were able to the beautiful sunsets from their rooms.

Mike Willock, General Manager
Philomath, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent a Saturday night recently with my daughter and her small dog. We were placed in Building A, which is ocean front. We were fortunate to have our request for an upstairs room granted, because this building has parking up against the walkway to front entry doors. The staff was gracious, and our check in went smoothly. Our room had what we needed, but it was pretty grubby. The windows were dirty, the furniture had not been wiped down for sometime, and the bathroom floor needed cleaning. This Shilo is a large resort complex, and it appears some of the buildings could use some intensive cleaning and reconditioning. We used one of the two pools, which was clean, however there are no dressing rooms or restrooms in the pool room which we found odd.

Room Tip: Might check to see if there are other buildings which allow pets, which have updated rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Newport, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear reeltravelers,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Newport Shilo Inn. We certainly appreciate you staying with us and will review your insights you have offered for improvements. We are happy we were able to grant your request as it is always wonderful for families to have the option to bring their dogs to this beautiful beach.

Burleson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived very late but the woman working the late shift was very nice. She gave us a room with an ocean view and invited us to have breakfast at the café the next morning. The next morning we woke to a magnificent view and the sound of the waves crashing outside on the beach. The room was clean, everything worked which is always a plus. I had issues with my travel confirmation but the day time employee, a man I cannot recall his name ( sorry ) was very friendly about it and took the stress away. If and when we travel to Newport again, we will pay another visit to the Shilo Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
Dear BWoo84,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Shilo Oceanfront Resort in Newport Oregon. Offering a great view and proving exception service is a goal with every guest and it is rewarding to hear your valued feedback. Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Mike Willock

Been to Shilo Inn - Newport? Share your experiences!