“nice view” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Newport
Newport
“nice view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

It was a nice clean room. Great view and the food was really good. The staff there where very friendly. The beach access was a little steep but it was worth the hike to get to the beach. I really don't have much else to say. Why do we have to have 200 characters?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Shilohotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Dean P,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to offer this positive feedback on your stay here at the Newport Shilo Inn on the Oregon Coast. I am happy you were provided with a great experience from both my hotel and restaurant staff and I will certainly pass this message along to them. We thank you again for staying with us and I hope to have you join us again in the future.

Mike Willock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband & I stayed here our last night of an 8 day Oregon Coast vacation. The night before we stayed at a hotel that wasn't on the beach. I decided to call around to try & find a place with an ocean view (on a Friday morning). Upon calling this Shilo I was told they had a room, but it would only be a partial view. We were able to check in when we arrived at 2:30 pm and were given a room with a full oceanfront view, which I was thrilled with. The check in process was great, the staff very accommodating and cheerful. The room was fine & clean, but could really use updating. We liked being able to park right in front of our room's door as it made for easy loading and unloading of baggage. It was a steep decline down steps with railings to get down to the beach, but there was a bench half-way for resting.
We were given coupons for the on site restaurant when we checked in so we had dinner there. The free house Cabernet was good. My husband had the clam chowder, which was horribly bland. He didn't even eat half of it. My dinner was very good. I had the sirloin with baked potato and asparagus. The sourdough bread was great. Even though we didn't make a fuss about the bad clam chowder, they took it off of our bill.
Overall, it was a very pleasant stay for one night and I took some excellent photos of that night's sunset from the comfort of our room.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have an oceanfront view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Deanna J,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your insightful feedback during your stay at the Newport Oceanfront Shilo Hotel. I am happy to hear about all your experiences during your stay and that my staff was able to make your time with us more enjoyable. I will pass along your kind comments to my restaurant team as well. It is always nice to hear about our guest’s pleasant stays with us and that they were able to the beautiful sunsets from their rooms.

Mike Willock, General Manager
Philomath, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent a Saturday night recently with my daughter and her small dog. We were placed in Building A, which is ocean front. We were fortunate to have our request for an upstairs room granted, because this building has parking up against the walkway to front entry doors. The staff was gracious, and our check in went smoothly. Our room had what we needed, but it was pretty grubby. The windows were dirty, the furniture had not been wiped down for sometime, and the bathroom floor needed cleaning. This Shilo is a large resort complex, and it appears some of the buildings could use some intensive cleaning and reconditioning. We used one of the two pools, which was clean, however there are no dressing rooms or restrooms in the pool room which we found odd.

Room Tip: Might check to see if there are other buildings which allow pets, which have updated rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear reeltravelers,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Newport Shilo Inn. We certainly appreciate you staying with us and will review your insights you have offered for improvements. We are happy we were able to grant your request as it is always wonderful for families to have the option to bring their dogs to this beautiful beach.

Burleson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived very late but the woman working the late shift was very nice. She gave us a room with an ocean view and invited us to have breakfast at the café the next morning. The next morning we woke to a magnificent view and the sound of the waves crashing outside on the beach. The room was clean, everything worked which is always a plus. I had issues with my travel confirmation but the day time employee, a man I cannot recall his name ( sorry ) was very friendly about it and took the stress away. If and when we travel to Newport again, we will pay another visit to the Shilo Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
Dear BWoo84,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Shilo Oceanfront Resort in Newport Oregon. Offering a great view and proving exception service is a goal with every guest and it is rewarding to hear your valued feedback. Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Culver, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am currently staying at the Shilo Inn in Newport OR. The staff are very friendly and courteous, but the rooms have a lot to be desired! I have stayed in many different Shilo Inns over the years and this one is by far the worst.

I am staying in room 117 and it is a better room than room 139 which I was first put into.

These rooms are in horrible disrepair with buckling wallpaper, broken furniture and dirty/outdated fixtures. There is also a pervading odor of must/mold.

I am very disappointed. This was supposed to be a 3 day getaway of pampering and girl fun and I can barely stand to be in the room at all. Too bad for such a great location!

Needless to say we won’t be staying here again. And I doubt that anyone we know will either

This particular establishment has the “affordable” down, but not the “excellence”. There are better rooms in town for less money although they don't have the view. But if you cant stand to be in the room for the view what's the point????

Room Tip: I believe if you don't have a pet, you can stay in the newer building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Impressed with the service at check in which was busy, as there seemed to be many arriving at the same time. With great efficiency from the front desk, I was in my clean, well appointed room in good time. Very comfortable room with a big bright window looking out onto beach. Great spot and good value. There are fancier places nearby, but at higher cost. This place more than covers the basics which I appreciate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

No doubt: this is a great location. It’s a huge hotel (3 buildings) and to be honest: rather aged. It was our second Shilo Hotel. By accident in a row. The idea emerged that tired hotels might be the Shilo trademark. The staff was very efficient. The view from the room (2nd floor) was marvelous. The room itself was absolutely worn down. If traveling with young kids, one should insist on a ground level room: the windows slid open easily without any adult-safety. Breakfast (ala carte) was OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Bastiaan57,

Thank you for offering your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Newport property with a great location. Being situated on the bluff here in Newport is ideal for watching the beaches roll by and the waves crashing along and I am happy you were able to enjoy that with us. I will certainly investigate all rooms and insure that our safety guides on the windows have been reinstalled if removed.

Mike Willock

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport? Share your experiences!