“Needs a Facelift, Nice Location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Tripadvisor Fans Save 15%
Ranked #16 of 25 hotels in Newport
Philomath, Oregon
“Needs a Facelift, Nice Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent a Saturday night recently with my daughter and her small dog. We were placed in Building A, which is ocean front. We were fortunate to have our request for an upstairs room granted, because this building has parking up against the walkway to front entry doors. The staff was gracious, and our check in went smoothly. Our room had what we needed, but it was pretty grubby. The windows were dirty, the furniture had not been wiped down for sometime, and the bathroom floor needed cleaning. This Shilo is a large resort complex, and it appears some of the buildings could use some intensive cleaning and reconditioning. We used one of the two pools, which was clean, however there are no dressing rooms or restrooms in the pool room which we found odd.

Room Tip: Might check to see if there are other buildings which allow pets, which have updated rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Newport, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear reeltravelers,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Newport Shilo Inn. We certainly appreciate you staying with us and will review your insights you have offered for improvements. We are happy we were able to grant your request as it is always wonderful for families to have the option to bring their dogs to this beautiful beach.

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Burleson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived very late but the woman working the late shift was very nice. She gave us a room with an ocean view and invited us to have breakfast at the café the next morning. The next morning we woke to a magnificent view and the sound of the waves crashing outside on the beach. The room was clean, everything worked which is always a plus. I had issues with my travel confirmation but the day time employee, a man I cannot recall his name ( sorry ) was very friendly about it and took the stress away. If and when we travel to Newport again, we will pay another visit to the Shilo Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BWoo84,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Shilo Oceanfront Resort in Newport Oregon. Offering a great view and proving exception service is a goal with every guest and it is rewarding to hear your valued feedback. Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Culver, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am currently staying at the Shilo Inn in Newport OR. The staff are very friendly and courteous, but the rooms have a lot to be desired! I have stayed in many different Shilo Inns over the years and this one is by far the worst.

I am staying in room 117 and it is a better room than room 139 which I was first put into.

These rooms are in horrible disrepair with buckling wallpaper, broken furniture and dirty/outdated fixtures. There is also a pervading odor of must/mold.

I am very disappointed. This was supposed to be a 3 day getaway of pampering and girl fun and I can barely stand to be in the room at all. Too bad for such a great location!

Needless to say we won’t be staying here again. And I doubt that anyone we know will either

This particular establishment has the “affordable” down, but not the “excellence”. There are better rooms in town for less money although they don't have the view. But if you cant stand to be in the room for the view what's the point????

Room Tip: I believe if you don't have a pet, you can stay in the newer building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Impressed with the service at check in which was busy, as there seemed to be many arriving at the same time. With great efficiency from the front desk, I was in my clean, well appointed room in good time. Very comfortable room with a big bright window looking out onto beach. Great spot and good value. There are fancier places nearby, but at higher cost. This place more than covers the basics which I appreciate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

No doubt: this is a great location. It’s a huge hotel (3 buildings) and to be honest: rather aged. It was our second Shilo Hotel. By accident in a row. The idea emerged that tired hotels might be the Shilo trademark. The staff was very efficient. The view from the room (2nd floor) was marvelous. The room itself was absolutely worn down. If traveling with young kids, one should insist on a ground level room: the windows slid open easily without any adult-safety. Breakfast (ala carte) was OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Newport, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Bastiaan57,

Thank you for offering your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Newport property with a great location. Being situated on the bluff here in Newport is ideal for watching the beaches roll by and the waves crashing along and I am happy you were able to enjoy that with us. I will certainly investigate all rooms and insure that our safety guides on the windows have been reinstalled if removed.

Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was on a 15 day bus tour that started in San Diego & ended in Seattle. This was one of our stops for the night. The hotel is very dated (we had an actual key instead of a room card) but it has wonderful views of the beach. The hotel layout is a bit odd, there were at least 3 separate building, I was in the building that had the restaurant for dinner. There is another building that has the lobby/check-in and then you have to walk over to a separate building for the breakfast restaurant. I'm guessing maybe some of these buildings were added on throughout the years but kind of a weird set-up.

When we checked in we were given coupons for dinner & breakfast ($5.00 off dinner & $3.00 off breakfast). The dinner was a little pricey so the $5.00 off coupon helped, with the coupon for breakfast, my meal was only around $4.00 (including tip) so that was nice and it was a really good breakfast too.

My room was okay, it looked like the bathroom was recently remodeled but the rest of the room still hadn't been refurbished. The furniture is dated and shows the wear & tear. The beach access was quite a hike (you had to climb down steep stairs to get to the beach). It was foggy, misty and overcast while we were there which I hear is normal for their weather.

I only stayed here for one night and our next stop was Portland, so I was excited about getting to see Portland since there wasn't much to do in Newport,OR.

Room Tip: The breakfast was very good!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We showed up with no reservation looking for a pet-friendly room at 11 p.m. during the summer and were accommodated in an ocean-front, ground-floor room. Service was friendly and helpful. Room was a little tired and showing some age, but was clean, smelled good, and the view and my walk on the beach in the morning were stunning! It was all ideal for our road-tripping, pooch-toting group.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shilo Inn - Newport? Share your experiences!