“Great Location....Needs Work!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 25 hotels in Newport
Culver, Oregon, United States
“Great Location....Needs Work!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am currently staying at the Shilo Inn in Newport OR. The staff are very friendly and courteous, but the rooms have a lot to be desired! I have stayed in many different Shilo Inns over the years and this one is by far the worst.

I am staying in room 117 and it is a better room than room 139 which I was first put into.

These rooms are in horrible disrepair with buckling wallpaper, broken furniture and dirty/outdated fixtures. There is also a pervading odor of must/mold.

I am very disappointed. This was supposed to be a 3 day getaway of pampering and girl fun and I can barely stand to be in the room at all. Too bad for such a great location!

Needless to say we won’t be staying here again. And I doubt that anyone we know will either

This particular establishment has the “affordable” down, but not the “excellence”. There are better rooms in town for less money although they don't have the view. But if you cant stand to be in the room for the view what's the point????

Room Tip: I believe if you don't have a pet, you can stay in the newer building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Impressed with the service at check in which was busy, as there seemed to be many arriving at the same time. With great efficiency from the front desk, I was in my clean, well appointed room in good time. Very comfortable room with a big bright window looking out onto beach. Great spot and good value. There are fancier places nearby, but at higher cost. This place more than covers the basics which I appreciate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

No doubt: this is a great location. It’s a huge hotel (3 buildings) and to be honest: rather aged. It was our second Shilo Hotel. By accident in a row. The idea emerged that tired hotels might be the Shilo trademark. The staff was very efficient. The view from the room (2nd floor) was marvelous. The room itself was absolutely worn down. If traveling with young kids, one should insist on a ground level room: the windows slid open easily without any adult-safety. Breakfast (ala carte) was OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Newport, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Bastiaan57,

Thank you for offering your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Newport property with a great location. Being situated on the bluff here in Newport is ideal for watching the beaches roll by and the waves crashing along and I am happy you were able to enjoy that with us. I will certainly investigate all rooms and insure that our safety guides on the windows have been reinstalled if removed.

Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was on a 15 day bus tour that started in San Diego & ended in Seattle. This was one of our stops for the night. The hotel is very dated (we had an actual key instead of a room card) but it has wonderful views of the beach. The hotel layout is a bit odd, there were at least 3 separate building, I was in the building that had the restaurant for dinner. There is another building that has the lobby/check-in and then you have to walk over to a separate building for the breakfast restaurant. I'm guessing maybe some of these buildings were added on throughout the years but kind of a weird set-up.

When we checked in we were given coupons for dinner & breakfast ($5.00 off dinner & $3.00 off breakfast). The dinner was a little pricey so the $5.00 off coupon helped, with the coupon for breakfast, my meal was only around $4.00 (including tip) so that was nice and it was a really good breakfast too.

My room was okay, it looked like the bathroom was recently remodeled but the rest of the room still hadn't been refurbished. The furniture is dated and shows the wear & tear. The beach access was quite a hike (you had to climb down steep stairs to get to the beach). It was foggy, misty and overcast while we were there which I hear is normal for their weather.

I only stayed here for one night and our next stop was Portland, so I was excited about getting to see Portland since there wasn't much to do in Newport,OR.

Room Tip: The breakfast was very good!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We showed up with no reservation looking for a pet-friendly room at 11 p.m. during the summer and were accommodated in an ocean-front, ground-floor room. Service was friendly and helpful. Room was a little tired and showing some age, but was clean, smelled good, and the view and my walk on the beach in the morning were stunning! It was all ideal for our road-tripping, pooch-toting group.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wirral UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Arrival 3/5 - we called in with no booking as we drove down the Oregon coast. Fast, friendly and efficient check in. Fine views of the sea from reception. Lots of parking available. We parked in the underground car park near to the elevator. Perhaps the slowest elevator on the planet, but it saved us lugging our cases to the 3rd floor.

Room 3/5 - large room with comfy king bed. Sink, fridge, microwave, table and chairs. There was only one set of cutlery and one breakfast bowl and of the kitchen drawers and cupboards were empty. Such a waste of a good size kitchen. The room looked a bit dated, though clean, but needed a refurb. Really, really lacks a balcony.

Bathroom 3/5 - reasonable size, with an extra sink but again felt slightly dated.

Location 5/5 - right on the beach. Great views, but less so through a misty window. Direct access to the beach. We enjoyed a stroll along the beach and loved the sound of the waves from our bath.

Value 3/5 - we paid $120 without breakfast.

Overall 4/5 - average hotel, but saved by the location.

Seeing the noisy male sea lions and eating seafood by the harbor are a must. We liked Newport a lot. A quirky fishing town full of character and interesting people.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn - Newport, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear NeilandBarbara,

Thank you for taking the time to offer this very in-depth review regarding your stay with us here at the Shilo Inns Oceanfront Resort in Newport Oregon. Hearing from our guests is always greatly appreciated and it sounds like you enjoyed a nice pleasant stay while on the Oregon Coast. We hope you have the chance to come stay with us again and soak up the incredible view.

Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Yes, the Shilo Inn rooms have a wonderful view of the ocean through a large window with screens and windows that open to the fresh ocean breeze. But our room was outdated and not clean...potato chip pieces under the table and dirty towels on the rack. Yuck

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jean L,

I thank you for letting me know about this housekeeping item and I will certainly work with my team to ensure these issues are resolved. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the wonderful view and were able to relish in the fresh ocean breeze.

Mike Willock

Been to Shilo Inn - Newport? Share your experiences!