“just average hotel, but great service” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Newberg
Roseburg, Oregon
“just average hotel, but great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed here for two nights while visiting our daughter and family. Nicholas, at the front desk, was very pleasant and helpful and gave us a room with a sitting area very close to the pool on the first floor as we would be having our grandchildren coming to swim and visit us. The room was clean but kind of cold and bare looking. The bathroom was really small but functional with a rounded shower curtain. The bed was just ok but not real comfy. All the linens were just mediocre. Because of the location of the hotel, our view was of someone's back yard. I have to agree with other posters that there is a strong cleaning chemical odor throughout the hotel and the bedding also smells strongly of cleaning chemicals. The breakfast was just ok with the same selections both mornings. There did not seem to be an active attendant in the breakfast room so when things ran out it was not readily replaced. The pool was clean and a nice size and my grandchildren had so much fun. We only paid $60. a night and appreciated the service at the front desk from Nicholas, so it was an ok stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cincinnati, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Overview:
I stayed one night at what should have been a basic, functional 2 star Best Western. Unfortunately, an intense, foul chemical-like odor in the rooms and a few other issues put this hotel into the "avoid" category.

I tried this hotel, in large part because of the positive Tripadvisor reviews and also because I've had positive experiences with Best Western in the past. However, the newest review in Tripadvisor, prior to mine, was 8 months ago. The odor problem I encountered must be a more recent phenomenon.

Rooms:
I had a "suite," which was a little larger room with a king bed, couch, microwave, mini-fridge, and a wall-mounted flat screen TV. Wi-fi was supposed to work, but did not (I think the rooms at the center of the hotel are out of range). The front desk provided a cable for direct connection, which worked fine.

The main issue was the smell. While the lobby, hallways, and common areas smelled fine, immediately upon opening the door to the room, I was hit by a rather strong, gross, chemical-like smell. I could not pin it down to a particular thing (carpet, drapes, bed)... instead it seemed to permeate everything. I am definitely not an overly sensitive person. I could put up with a slight smell of bleach, pine-sol, or even smoke... but this was just nasty.

I opened the window and gave it a while before giving up and calling the front desk. Nicholas, the front-desk manager, was very nice and prompt, and tried another room. The second room smelled roughly the same. Nicholas apologized and said that all the rooms would likely smell that way and thought that it might be due to overzealous housekeepers dousing the rooms, along with previous customers ignoring the "no smoking" rule.

I left the window open and went out to dinner, returning a couple of hours later. Nicholas said he might try an ozone machine while I was gone. I'm not sure he did. Either way, the smell remained, and was intense enough to remain annoying throughout the night... even with the window partially open and the heater blowing.

The bedding seemed to also have a pretty strong chlorine odor, which by itself might not have been terrible, but in concert with the room odor, it was pretty overwhelming.

Facilities:
The breakfast room was adequate, but a little more dingy than I have seen at other Best Westerns. The workout room was tiny, poorly ventilated, about 80 degrees, and the water cooler was empty. There was an indoor pool, but I did not use it.

Location: This hotel is directly on the main road through Newberg. It's a good location for exploring the vineyards in the area. The hotel is oriented in such a way that traffic noise is not an issue in the rooms.

Service:
Nicholas, the front desk manager, could not have been nicer. He couldn't do anything about the odor problem, but that wasn't his fault. The only negative was when I checked out, the lady at the front desk didn't ask me about my stay. Still, the service overall was definitely good for a 2 star hotel.

I received an automated survey from Best Western regarding my stay. They responded with a personalized e-mail saying they would check on the odor issue.

Value:
I paid ~$75 for the room, but I would not say it was a good deal. The next night I paid $115 for a nearby bed and breakfast and had a radically better experience.

• Stayed July 2010
Merced, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

We booked the room with three queen beds presuming that one queen was a hide-a-way couch. It was a pleasant surprise to find all to be actual beds with a sitting area near the window. For such a huge room we were disappointed that the bathroom was very small but there was another sink in the room so that helped. We paid the same price for this room as we did for a smaller one in Redding the previous night so it is a great value. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The kids loved the indoor pool. Breakfast was adequate and the room not crowded but I don't think they were very busy that day anyways.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Union, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We have returned from a trip to the Oregon Wine Country. This was our fourth trip there, and was the best time that we have had.

Newberg does not offer a lot of lodging choices, and we stayed at the Best Western, booked through Priceline at a fair discount. Other choices are the Shilo Inn, various Bed and Breakfasts, and a new resort that has just opened. The Best Western was fine, well located, clean and convenient - nothing fancy.

Newberg also is a little weak on dining. We had pizza one night from Ye Olde Pizza Shop, and it was excellent. We were looking forward to trying Urban Cellars, but that restaurant has gone out of business. Breakfasts at Sharis are always good.

We tried to hit some wineries that we had never been to before. I highly recommend Vista Hills for a nice afternoon outside. I believe that, for the first time in our experiences, each winery now charges a tasting fee - usually $10 per flight.

A highlight of the trip was the afternoon that we spent at the International Rose Garden in Portland. We usually concentrated on visiting wineries in the past, but this was terrific.

Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

The Newberg Inn seemed like the best place to stay in Newberg, and it ended up exceeding my expectations (which were modest for a Best Western). The room was spacious, clean and well-maintained. The pool and sauna also seemed clean and well-maintained, although the pool-side jacuzzi was out of order during our visit. The included breakfast included the usual--bagels, toast, cold cereal, packaged muffins, etc.--but fresh waffles, apples and oranges were also available. The hotel is located right on 99W (which takes you to or from Portland) and is close to a few restaurants. For the price, I was extremely pleased with the convenience, cleanliness and amenities of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Newberg Best Western one night while attending the nearby St. Paul Rodeo. We got what we paid for ($67/night AARP rate)...a basic room with King bed that was adequate, clean, and relatively quiet. It's not fancy, and the room seemed a bit empty, as if it was designed for larger furniture which had been removed. There were 2 desk chairs and a very small desk, but no easy chair or table as most rooms provide. The only place for luggage was a small bench in the closet. So there was plenty of space to move around but no where really comfortable to sit other than on the bed. Spartan walls could have used a couple more pictures. The room was clean, and included a small fridge, microwave, iron and board, hairdryer and some simple toiletries. The AC was welcome because the temp outside was in the '90s. The bed was comfortable enough.
There's no elevator for the 2 story hotel. We saw an indoor pool and spa, but didn't use them. There is a computer provided for guest use in the lobby. We liked the fact that the hotel rooms are set back from the main road so things were pretty quiet.
The continental breakfast was usual fare: toast, cereal, bagels, fruit, juices, coffee, waffle maker, biscuits and gravy, and hard boiled eggs. Staff were friendly and helpful. We would stay there again only if needing a cheap, clean place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Auburn, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

Location is great in Newberg.  Has to be an isolated incident.  On my second day while blow drying my hair I noticed the front of the toilet had dried feces on it.  Very unacceptable.  When I complained to the Manager, she would not come up to my room to check it out but said she would after I checked out.  You would imagine she would have sent someone up to the room right away before I checked out to clean the toilet in case I needed to use it again before my departure.  Also, the bed linen smelled of chlorine or bleach.  When I informed her, she said the hotel does not use bleach.  Hope they can get it together since I am a Gold Best Western Member.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Newberg Inn? Share your experiences!