“Luxurious and beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
“Luxurious and beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Allison Inn is as beautiful in person as it is in the photos online. The service was fantastic all around from help with planning itineraries, getting car services, even the room tour was great. Speaking of which, the rooms are to die for! Our room had a fireplace, deck looking onto their vineyard, and a sitting area with separate bedroom. The spa, pool, grounds and restaurant are also all first rate. It's in a great location for vineyard tastings as well. It's expensive, but well worth it as it's one of the nicest resorts I've ever stayed at. We will surely visit again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve H, Manager at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Mandjfoy,

No need to die for our rooms, just book well in advance so you can stay during the perfect dates for you! All of our rooms have a fireplace and patio/deck, you enjoyed a suite with a separate seating area but even are deluxe king rooms are almost 500 square feet!

Your review is appreciated by our entire team, thank you for sharing with the trip advisor community! We look forward to being here for you when you are ready to return.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was our second trip to the Allison. We went last October for a "mini-honeymoon" and then back this year to celebrate our anniversary. I didnt review the hotel last year although I should have. There isnt much I can add to all of these great review but I would like to mention is Eva in reservations. I dont know if most just make their reservation online but I have had the pleasure of working with Eva last year and this year. Last year Eva helped me to decide which room would be best for my husband and I. We went back and forth via email and phone and in the end the room was perfect! This year, Eva was able to put us in the same room. Its those little touches that make the difference for me.

I also talked to Anna, the conceriege quite a bit before our stay as well and she proved very helpful. In fact everyone we came in contact with was very friendly and helpful.

This trip we were able to spend a little more time at the Allison to enjoy all it has to offer. We ate once again at the Jory , the bar, spent some time at the Spa- I believe it was Melissa that did my massage, she was fantastic. It was one of the best massages I have had and I have had quite a few.

We of course enjoyed the room with all of the amenities. The table is a nice feature for that room style and I love the daybed. The bed is very comfortable, I just wish they had softer sheets.

Overall another fantastic trip! I am hoping this becomes and annual anniversary celebration!

Things I would like to see in the future is the hotel to start having some packing supplies on hand for those of us that wish to travel home with some wine and maybe some type of shuttle service to some of the other area restaurants other than arranging for private transportation.

Dear Dee M,

We welcome new reviews, especially those as complimentary as yours! I am so happy when anyone mentions a member of our reservations team. Eva, along with many others who work mostly behind the scenes, sometimes miss the best part about working at our hotel which is watching our guests enjoy their much deserved getaway (or brief respite from a busy life) and you taking a moment to thank her is so valuable to her and her co-workers! Thank you also for mentioning Anna, who along with Aubrey comprises our concierge team, they are a passionate and knowledgable team that can really help make each guests stay a little more perfect. Anyone traveling to visit I would strongly recommend reaching out and letting these two local experts help with the little details! And lastly, Melissa at The Spa is one of our many talented therapists and we are thrilled she was able to help you relax and rejuvenate!

While we are not expecting a lifetime commitment to anniversary stays, we do commit to you that we will make every stay you make with us an improvement on the last, no matter how hard that commitment may seem.

Thank you again and congratulations on your anniversary!

Eugene, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Great place to have stayed but the Off-Season price of $375.00/night is a bit steep for my pocket.

Are you going to visit a hotel or the places around the hotel ?

Newberg is located approximately 25 miles southwest of Portland, Oregon on US Highway 99W on the northeast side of Yamhill County. Although conveniently situated near the many assets of the Portland metropolitan area, the community retains a distinct physical separation from the metro region, buffered by a greenbelt of rural forests and farmlands.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve H, Manager at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Nocturno,

It appears you stayed in February 2013, our rates started at $315 in February so I can only assume you upgraded your room or stayed during a busy time when only a suite was available. I would love to better understand what prompted you to write the review so long after your stay. It does however read a little like you enjoyed the property...I hope so as we appreciated your visit.

That said, we are fortunate to be surrounded by a number of alternative lodging options and we love our local community including area businesses that offer limited service hotel rooms or wonderful bed and breakfast options. I have written before that I would be happy to make some suggestions based on your desires; feel free to reach out and let me know how I can help. Even if you don't stay with us we appreciate your visit to our community!

Our rates are a little higher than most in the immediate region, however we have tremendous support locally and nationally. We are currently Conde Nast Traveler's #1 Hotel in the Pacific Northwest and Travel & Leisure's #1 Wine Country Hotel in America; distinctions we are proud of but also know much of that credit should be directed to the beautiful region we live in and the warm, friendly staff on property.

In the end, we want all who stay with us to enjoy every aspect of their stay and anything we can do to aid in that is why we are here.

steve@thealllison.com
Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This would've been a 5-star review if we did not have a not-so-pleasant checkout experience. We stayed at the Allison for 2 nights for a girls wine country weekend. We were in love with the inn from the minute we arrived. The grounds are beautiful, the staff was friendly, the room is quite spacious and tastefully decorated. We loved chairs outside where you can sit and read. I was already considering going back for a romantic weekend on our first night.

On our last day, we had each booked a couple of spa treatments at the hotel spa. The appointments were staggered and ended between 12:30pm and 1:15pm. I talked to the front desk on the morning of and explained the situation and asked if we can have a late checkout of 1pm (regular check out is 12). We figured 1pm would at least allow the girls that have already finished to go back to the room, clean up and grab our suitcases. The person I spoke with was quite stern and basically told me that the hotel was fully booked and she cannot give us a late check out. Yes I do understand that they need time to turn the room around, but I've also never been at a fully booked hotel where they do not grant a little bit of leniency, especially since we are trying to spend more money at the hotel. We tried begging and pleading and she relented and gave us 12:35. When I then asked her if the spa might be able to move us to earlier appointments, all she offered was "I will transfer you". For a hotel that prides itself on customer service, this seems rather inflexible and unfriendly. At this point our day of pampering and relaxing had turned into a day of stress because we knew there was no way for someone who finish treatment at 12:30 would be able to get dressed get back and be out in 5 minutes! We decided to pack up and check out before our appointments, which is rather inconvenient as we now had to stow the bags with the hotel and separately pack toiletries etc. As we passed the lobby on our way to the spa, we noticed a different staff at the front desk and one of us went up to talk to her about the situation. She did not even hesitate and gave us the 1pm checkout. She even commented that she did not understand why the 1pm couldn't be granted the first time. Our thoughts exactly! It would've made our day so much better and less stressful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Vyliang,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, while we hope that each review will be five stars we understand that we all have opportunity to grow and improve. Take heart that our staff will grow from your comments.

I am sincerely apologetic regarding the late check-out request. Our policy is much more in line with the second employee you encountered; if we can say yes we are going to say yes. While we are a resort that tends to have guests requesting a check-in as early as possible and to check-out as late as possible we see that as a tremendous compliment and do everything we can to accommodate without impacting other guest's experiences.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the many other aspects of your stay, and I am hopeful that you will return for the romantic weekend you dreamed of (and we would appreciate).

Central California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Allison Inn was everything I hoped it would be. In all sincerity, it was probably one of my top two stays ever. The whole experience was so peaceful and restful. We stayed in a garden room for an anniversary trip and were not disappointed. The room was so large and designed so fabulously, I hardly wanted to leave the property. In fact, we didn’t leave at all except to take a vineyard tour later in the week. My favorite feature was the bench seat window with the overlook of the ground level gardens and property. I was particularly drawn to the life sized elk sculpture that tricked me into to thinking it was a live one every time I caught a glance of it. My husband couldn’t have been more excited to see the enormous tub with a sliding door/wall that opened to the bedroom where the TV was mounted. The tub and a football game simultaneously, he was thrilled.

The amenities in the room were above what we expected, in part because they pampered us with an Oregon Pinot and chocolates for our anniversary celebration. The snack basket was awesome and we hoped it was refilled each day, but seems as though its one per customer! Can’t blame them I guess. One of my favorite extras was the dairy bottles filled with water left in our room. Sweet idea and I would buy the glass if I could find them. Same goes for the re-purposed green wine bottles turned into glasses left in the room. Lastly, I wish I would have snapped a picture of the brand the mattresses were because I want one now! Great sleep each night.

I badgered the concierge, Aubrey F. regularly before we arrived and she was amazing, kind, and friendly. She quickly returned emails with suggestions as to where to take our wine tour and answered transportation questions. Keep her around Allison, she was critical to our wonderful vacation. Like I mentioned before, I hardly wanted to leave the room, but should have to use the most spectacular hotel pool I have seen in a long time. Seriously regretting I didn’t get in before we left. Lastly, the spa on the property did not disappoint. I had a luxurious facial and my husband received a massage before we checked out. The facility is so large and tucked away that it was very special. I loved the outdoor space to relax. The shower/changing area was also impressive.

Before we booked and arrived I had second thoughts about the whole Oregon/Portland “keep it weird” vibe, but this was not the case at the Allison. Although it wasn’t in my previous range of “normal” as far as aesthetics, it was an excellent example of embracing a locality and making it sublime. So glad we went with the property. One note of weirdness though: We drove down from Portland and got to see the local sites on the way in. Although the Allison is removed from the direct traffic and strip of businesses, it’s pretty close, and initially it seems like an odd location for a getaway retreat, particularly because there is a well known recovery facility right down the street from the resort. Most people probably won’t notice the signage, but I am just like that I guess. Drive on though, it is worth it.

Room Tip: Although there are more expensive rooms, we loved our garden view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TheTravelingSmiths,

As a father of two young ones myself I can relate to the value of a little time away; I imagine the great sleep played nicely into our favor as you enjoyed the resort more with a well rested body an mind. Our mattress' are made custom for us by Oregon Mattress here in Newberg but carry the "Restonic" brand, please call us and we would be happy to help you connect with them.

Our location and the aspects of the region you mention play a significant role in who we are; We are so much more than just a wine country getaway, I am so happy you brought this up. We are owned by The Austin Family, and founded by Ken and Joan Austin. They have a wonderful story of success and overcoming challenges that I could write about for months; very inspiring. A significant part of that history exists within Newberg including the recovery facility; The Allison as you experienced wouldn't be here without both those entities. It was that recovery facility (also at one time owned by The Austin Family) that played such a big role in inspiring Mrs. Austin to build The Allison. In the final years before opening it was her dream that The Allison Inn & Spa would fill many needs in the area. She hoped to provide employment for area people (over 200 people currently employed at The Allison), an economic stimulant to the tourism and hospitality industry, and a respite for those visiting families at the recovery center.

I hope you come visit again soon, Aubrey as well as others on our team would love to help plan the details again, and this time we will make sure you save time for the pool, or we could save that for your third stay, and you can bring the kids!

Austin,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

First time in Willamette Valley for my 40th birthday and I wanted it to be special. We read the great reviews about the Allison and glad we stayed there. It is charming and elegant but also clean, modern and upscale at the same time. All of the amenities are nice when on vacation (don't get me wrong I like bed and breakfasts but a spa on site? sign me up!) The grounds are beautiful with various walking paths and the rooms are well decorated and maintained. The bathroom was huge. We slept like babies. Oh, and the Jory restaurant? Awesome! And they provide room service. It doesn't get any better than that!

Dear JennerTX,

Thank you for your kind words and recognition of our efforts. A Spa vacation for your 40th sounds like a perfectly good reason to anticipate the continued ageing process!

We hope to see you again soon (41=Spa and Wine?)

Regards,
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Recently stayed here for a girls weekend with my mom, aunt and cousin. We had a double queen room and it was wonderful. Super comfy beds, huge room, giant bathroom. Everything was wonderful. Would absolutely stay here again if the budget allowed. We stayed on a Friday night and make use of the lovely spa on Saturday.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Saving Paradise,

Thank you for the review, we love when our locals use as a quick getaway and a girls weekend with spa is even better! Even if you can't stay overnight again soon we would love for you to come join us for a little day use of the spa and our live music on Friday and Saturday nights, maybe you can get close to re-capturing the "on vacation" feel!

Assistant General Manager

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!