“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is seriously a peace of heaven, close to home! This is a 5 star hotel and spa, but with NONE of the attitude that could easily accompany that. They make you feel so welcome and relaxed, you feel like you're staying with friends. Granted the hotel is located in the middle of nowhere, but that just adds to the serene atmosphere. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous. And the rooms are some of the nicest I've seen anywhere. Winter was the perfect time to go, there are fireplaces in the rooms, as well as a huge window seat where you can curl up, enjoy the view and a good book.

But best of all of our one night stay was the spa. I was fortunate enough to stay at a resort in Mexico (Maroma) that boasts the #1 spa in the world according to Travel and Leisure and thought nothing would EVER compare or come close to that experience. But I was happily mistaken :) The Allison Spa is phenomenal and I had the most wonderful time (thanks in large part to Ashley, thank you!!). The facilities are so gorgeous, well-appointed and my treatment was heavenly ( I had their signature grapeseed wrap and massage).

I cannot believe our good fortune only living 30 minutes from such an amazing hotel and spa, we will definitely be planning trips back to The Allison.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OnlineConcierge, Online Concierge for The Allison Inn & Spa at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you so much! It's important for us to offer the best guest experience in the world, at a level of luxury and class one would expect, without the pretentious or uppity attitude you can get with some of the more robotic luxury brands. We are truly earnest in our passion to please guests, thrilled to be of service, and absolutely proud of our hotel. We call it "Oregon Hospitality", and it's something we want to bring to the world. With incredible reviews such as yours, it won't be long before it catches on. =)

The kind words about our spa are SO wonderful - We just got voted #5 in the world, #1 in the US - and we're aiming to climb up in the world rankings! We have a lot of amazing worldwide spas to learn from, but it is our goal to bring that #1 in the world back to the US! =) Never hesitate to help us learn and grow, but it sounds like we did impress, however. Thanks for letting us know, and we will strive to keep improving!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - it is of great help, and means a lot to us. Our staff pour over these reviews, and it rejuvenates us and creates excitement about what we do. We take these reviews very seriously, and love learning from them; however in a situation like this, it might be that we simply celebrate. Cheers to you, thank you again, and be well!

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

By far, one of the best experiences I have had, The moment you pull up you feel so welcomed. Thank you to the boys at the front door - the Justins, Ches and all the rest! The front desk makes you feel like you are the only guest - thank you Ali and the rest!! No one can top hospitality like Tara Calton at the spa and her amazing team!! You will eat no better food anywhere than at Jory - a culinary delight!!
I dont normally spend a lot of money on accomdations. HERE, I make the exception. Everything spent is worth it and you will never be treated better. I love this place and will always return as they make me feel special on one hand and like family on the other. This place is not to be missed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Welcome Back, of course, and thank you so much! I will make sure to pass your review around (if the rest of our staff hasn't already read it online!) - we love hearing about our guests, how transformative our hotel can be in creating serenity and happiness in people's lives, and celebrating along with you, about your stay. It means so much that you have shared your experiences about our hotel, and it helps us immensely. We are very proud of what we are doing here, and promise to vigilantly learn and improve so that we constantly amaze you upon every return visit. Thank you again! Happy New Year, and we hope this finds you well.

Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My girlfriend from Australia, her sister and I met up at the Allison to celebrate the New Year and what a memorable evening it was. The Allison is Oregon through and through, from the gracious, warm greeting by the valet (Devon, who remembered my name in the morning), and the front desk reception hosts, to the organic beauty and unpretentious service and amenities - I am proud to have this wonderful property right in the Willamette Valley. While it's absolutely luxurious, the Allison is also delightfully subdued, again in a Northwest way. I opted to upgrade for a small amount to a fourth floor penthouse grand deluxe king. The nice thing about this room is that it has a third bank of window with a small table and dressing area, separate from the bedroom/sitting area, which gives it the feel of a small suite. I prefer the even number rooms which look out over the valley, but some also look over the road and can be busier than the odd number rooms which face the vineyard. Wine to toast the New Year was waiting, along with two glasses and complimentary and healthy local snacks. I loved the extra touches like electric window shades with blackout blinds, recycled wine bottles as drinking glasses, Dead Sea mineral bath salts, fireplace and window seat, sliding window between the bath and living room so you can watch TV and the fire as you soak.... The $95 plus gratuity New Year's tasting menu at Jory was superb, although the service seemed a bit off as there seemed to be a lack of communication from server to kitchen to server and some resulting confusion in our friend's special dietary requests. Even so, after each faux pas, our server brought us a little trifle to make up for the miscue, a sample glass of wine, a bag of homemade chocolates, a complimentary dessert, etc. It was all done with such earnest professionalism, who could complain? We again had some confusion with our breakfast server, who mixed up our meals (we had 5 friends with us by that time) as well as our bills, and forgot completely to charge mine until I ran him down and reminded him. But again, small issues that just made the place seem more real and endearing. All in all, when you combine the service, the location, the amenities, the kitchen, the understated polish and attitude, the Allison is a place where we can proudly take our most discerning visitors as well as our dearest friends, and enjoy every minute. Hats off to the management for running such a fine establishment - it is a treat to have you only an hour away.

Room Tip: Penthouse Grand Deluxe King - Room 416 with views of the valley. Quiet, end of the hall. Loads of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
"Earnest professionalism" is a comment that really stuck with us - it's a wonderful example of what we try to do. We are not concerned for our guests for the sake of empty professionalism, rather, we are concerned for our guests simply because it is what makes us tick, and it is our mission to please & celebrate life with our guests. Slight gaffes are not our strong suit, obviously, and very uncommon, but we are pleased they were handled with graciousness and class - something I might say of you as well. You are very kind and forgiving for our missteps at JORY, and we will immediately review the service issues you experienced. We're very thankful you mentioned them as well... we need to hear the good and bad to continue to be the best. It's just that the miscues are so rare, we are genuinely thrilled to listen and learn.... it is why we greatly value this review site, and know our success will be defined by helpful reviewers such as yourself. For example, spending the time to really explain how the rooms "exist", and which you like, is of immeasurable help to the casual reader just starting on their journey of booking a relaxing getaway. You have helped in wonderful ways, and we cannot thank you enough.

We hope to be here for many New Years, striving to improve, and outshine even our high service standards, as we grow into the Willamette Valley community. Thank you for the review - sharing your experience means a lot to us. We hope this finds you well, and happy new year!

Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

What can I say about the Allison? by far, one of the NICEST hotel and spas that I have ever stayed at! The decor was clean, bright, comfortable with the slate, wood, glass look. it made me feel like i was living in a high end modern lodge.

the greatest thing about staying in this hotel is the fact that hotel overnight guests get exclusive access to the indoor pool, spa, fitness center. you also get access to the 12,000 sq ft spa for the sauna, steam room, locker room, quiet lounges, and robe service. My husband and I literally lived in the spa for half the day!

We also loved our room, because it had bright airy aura, with the access to the outside patio, and a great bay window to read/sit/relax in. We loved the automatic open/close features of the blinds, the timer option of the fireplace, and the access door for the tub to see the rest of the room. I definitely made a point to take a bath in the tub with the fireplace on while drinking a class of pinot noir!! :) We also loved the in-room robes that were provided and the linens on the bed were so comfortable and clean. If we could, we would live at the hotel permanently!

One of the highlights was that we were lent a Lexus GS450H by the hotel to drive around, to go wine tasting in. It was super luxurious and very easy to check-out. It was the best advertisement for Lexus that I could ever have wanted!! :P

Lastly, we did have a nice dinner at the Jory restaurant, which was relaxing and indulgent. Overall, this hotel is top notch on service and cleanliness/comfort. Will definitely like to go back every year, if we can afford it! :)

Room Tip: We had a bottom floor terrace-level room, which is definitely the most bang for its buck! :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is incredibly helpful, and there are many future guests that will have *you* to thank for helping make their decision to stay with us. You speak about the value of our property - not just the room options that provide a great rate, but the added perks that some other reviewers forget to mention.

To future guests - YES! You read that right, we have Lexus' coupes and SUV's that you can borrow as part of your room rate. All you need to do is go to the desk, and they will give you a key. Lexus thought our property, and the rolling, bucolic wine country hills of Willamette Valley, as a wonderful place to let people experience their concept of luxury, as it pairs with the guest experience of our hotel - and IT IS DIVINE! If you are booking your trip now, or are just perusing - don't forget to ask our reservations about it, or simply chat with the desk at check in. It will be a complementary experience you won't soon forget. It is just one of the many complimentary value adds to your stay with us.

The small additions to the overall experience is what makes us an extraordinary place, and your review will do much to help others become aware of it. Thank you again, happy new year, and we hope this finds you well!

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place really is quite special. Okay, it takes a little to get over the location (just was expecting something more bucolic), but damn, this place is well run.
Service was, I think, the best I have come across. Completely low key, but spot on, every time. Everyone I encountered during our stay was pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, nice, etc. Not sure how they do what almost every other hotel or restaurant doesn't, but they just "get it".
Room's not ready yet (at 4:00)?, please enjoy a comp'd glass of wine. Need a snack in your room, here's a basket of free ones. Want your breakfast in your room at 8:15, knock-knock at 8:15. Need to change your spa appointment to make a Chef's table reservation, no problem. I could go on and on. Suffice to say the service is PERFECT.
The hotel is beautiful in a laid back modern kind of way. Rooms are large and well appointed. Some minor gripes, the LEED (green) design comes at the expense of decent lighting and water pressure. Suppose you can't complain about that, but as an architect I couldn't help noticing how off the lighting was, both in the public spaces and in the room.
The restaurant was awesome, everything was great and the wine list extensive. Service everytime was perfect.
The spa was, again, one of the best I have experienced, in no small part due to the service.
Folks, the reviews are all accurate. This place is special, go and enjoy!

Room Tip: rooms on the entry side seemed much nicer
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It is certainly a joy to read about our perfection, but jplease know that we will never rest on our laurels; review sites aren't just about being thrilled we did our job pleasing our guest - they are about listening, and learning. Some of your comments are so well taken, and we are already looking to improve a few things - the lighting in the bathroom definitely needs a boost, and we are working on possible options. I will see about the water pressure, as well (it isn't something we have heard of, so it could be the room itself. I will do some research - please pm me with the room, if you could?).

The entire point of building an environmentally forward property was that it would only be done without costing our guest's any part of the traditional experience of a luxury hotel. As an architect, you definitely have an intuitive awareness of our challenges in being green, but your review wonderfully points out that our service, and most aspects of the property, far outweigh those slight issues (that can and will be improved).

We will continue to grow, through listening to wonderful reviews such as yours. We are even talking about the check-in time, but it's rarely an issue (and we check people in, early, whenever possible). We want the guest experience to be perfection from the point of reading this review, to our response when a new one is written. We promise it will only get better from here. Thank you again for your earnest, helpful, and stellar review. It means a lot, and we appreciate it.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

Eastern Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The five-star service started when I pulled under the portico upon arrival when the valet offered to park my car. Although I self-parked and walked into the Inn, I was still treated professionally and respectfully with doors opened and smiles from staff all around. Working in the tourism industry, I really notice things like service, and I can tell that all staff, from the housekeeping to the manager has been trained to provide impeccable service. (I also noticed the appearance of all staff -- neat and conservative, right down to button earrings and matching nail polish with the desk staff.) When I walked into my room, my jaw hit the floor. I have never seen a room so beautifully and thoughtfully appointed. The bathroom--as large as a San Francisco hotel room--was fitted with a garden tub, double sinks, shelf space, and complementary bath salts. Comfy bed, fireplace, amazing view, lighted closet... I absolutely want to go back and cocoon myself in pleasure! I do want to also mention that the rooms are really, really quiet, so if you're looking for a respite, head to the Allison. I didn't hear my neighbor's water, television, doors closing, or the storm outside. I really appreciate the restaurant and food selections in both the bar and Jory's. Both focus on upscale, locally sourced dishes, again with attention to detail that is unmatched. Too bad I can only give up to five stars!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much! Your review is greatly appreciated, and it helps highlight the pure magic of that feeling of real peace, hearing nothing but quiet and what you choose to hear, without intrusion. It's a special, and rare, thing to feel pure calm like that. We don't get to experience it enough nowadays, and I appreciate you reminding future guests of that luxury. Our staff is proud to be mentioned - they love reading how their professionalism affects the guest experience. In fact, all of management is incredibly proud of our whole team. Our GM, Pierre, is a true hotelier, and a class act, and he has brought together a wonderful team of people that love hospitality. Thank you for noticing. I will make sure to share the review with the staff. Happy New Year, and we hope this finds you well.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Visited again this time for a birthday.
-room was nice
-food was excellent both morning and evening
-servers very attentive

Wished the fireplace was on would have made the evening in the bar and morning drinking coffee on a stormy weekend more cozy but the staff said they typically do not have it on Sunday nights/Monday morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review, and the opportunity to address the situation - and clear up the matter. We let you down! We're so sorry... our guest service agent misspoke. We have the fireplace on all nights through Fall / Winter & early Spring. We greatly apologize that it wasn't on for you, but we promise - we take requests! Just ask us, and we should be able to accommodate the request. I can guarantee that we will start the fire with a guest request on any or all mornings. We greatly apologize, but at least we can let people know they should still ask. Again, it doesn't make up for the lost aesthetic, but we hope we can make it up to you next time.

Thank you again - we value these reviews as a way to listen, grow, and communicate. Your kind review is very appreciated, but next time we promise we'll keep the home fire on, for you! Cheers, and be well.

The Allison Inn & Spa

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!