“Romantic Birthday Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oregon
“Romantic Birthday Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My husband surprised me with a visit to the Allison Inn & Spa for my birthday in October, and I can honestly say it was the best hotel I have ever had the privilege of staying in. From the moment we walked through the doors until the moment we left, we had impeccable service from every staff member we encountered. They made us feel like royalty.

My husband arranged for the wine and roses package, which included:

- Champagne upon arrival
- Luxury bath experience with essential oils, rose petals,
- tea light candles, bubbles galore, a single red rose, fluffy robes
- $100 dining credit in JORY, our signature restaurant or in-room dining
- Use of our indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi & fitness studio
- Complimentary overnight valet parking

Our room was spacious and comfortable, with a fireplace, a cozy window seat overlooking the grounds, a soaking tub, and a very comfortable king size bed. We were greeted with a plate of decadent chocolate truffles, a basket of snacks and a birthday greeting card. It was tempting to lounge there all day, but we were only staying for one night and it was time to explore.

We started with a glass of wine out on the rooftop deck overlooking the beautiful grounds. We then decided to head out for some wine tasting, and the concierge gave us complimentary wine tasting tickets for both Dobbes and Four Graces, both very close by. We also stumbled upon a cupcake shop called The Sweetest Thing that I would highly recommend visiting. Delicious and they had gluten-free cupcakes, a plus for hubby.

Dinner at Jory was absolutely delicious. The service was wonderful, the food was divine, and we were able to consult a sommelier for our wine choices. We are tempted to come back for either their Thanksgiving dinner or their New Years Eve dinner at the chef's table in the kitchen.

We opted for our champagne to be delivered before our bath was drawn in the evening after dinner. To be honest, I wasn't sure what the positives were in having someone else draw a bath for you. I said to my husband, "so... he's just going to turn the water on for us?" A gentleman arrived about 10 minutes before bath time and served us our champagne. He returned a few moments later with a cart full of bath items and disappeared into the bathroom. While we sipped on our champagne, he created a lovely romantic atmosphere for us to enjoy. After he left, we discovered the bathtub brimming over with bubbles, rose petals scattered everywhere, candles lit, more chocolate truffles, and a lovely red rose. It was all very romantic and I felt very pampered and spoiled!

We called the front desk twice that evening for various things, and they were extremely helpful and polite. We ordered room service for breakfast, which came promptly and was very good. My husband had oatmeal with bananas and I had eggs and potatoes and a mocha. My potatoes were a little bit cold and dry, as though they had been made much earlier in the day, but that is my only mild complaint. Everything else was delicious.

After breakfast we headed down to the spa. I had a 60-minute mimosa massage with champagne oils which was wonderfully relaxing. It included a non-alcoholic mimosa to sip on in the lounge afterward- a very nice touch. My husband swam in the pool and enjoyed the steam room. We relaxed in the co-ed lounge together as long as we could before checkout. It was a fabulous little getaway and I can't wait to do it again!

()*I'm sorry I can't speak to the value, as it was a gift and I'm not certain of the price)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

From our experience this is the best hotel in the area (though there are great B&B options too).

Food and accommodation both first class yet service is informal/friendly as you might expect in Oregon. If you're choosing a room, I'd suggest the front side of the building (half face into the hill and are less sunny with less good views).

Also nice pool area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at The Allison Inn & Spa to celebrate our birthdays.
One word that describes The Allison, would be -- sublime...
What an amazing experience we had there. Can't wait to return!

Today, when it was time to check out, my husband said that he didn't want to leave.

From the moment you arrive you realize that you are at a very special place. The staff is so welll trained that you know that they love working there and want to make sure that your every need is met.

I am a travel snob and love staying at a Four Seasons, whenever one is available. The Four Seasons doesn't have anything on this place. Best trained staff of any hotel that I have ever stayed on this continent. Period.

Our room was on the Spa-level, which I highly recommend, with a vineyard view. This is the most private and beautiful view on the property - odd numbered rooms. The place was completely booked to capacity and we didn't hear a peep out of any other room. The place is so quiet and peaceful with a touch of style. Cool earth tones and elegant lines. You feel as though you are in another country, not in Newberg, Oregon.

We were there celebrating our joint birthdays. When we arrived in our room we were greeted with chocolate truffles and later a bottle of sparkling wine on ice arrived from a local winery -- all of which was complimentary.

I didn't realize that Pierre from the Heathman was running The Allison, but after I discovered this I knew that we were in good hands, having stayed at the Heathman's grand suite many years ago on an Anniversary, which Pierre made quite special for us.

Perfect weekend, perfect place.

See my review of Jory, which is fantastic. Best Sunday Brunch ever. The desserts were to die for -- amazing pastry chef!

We did not use any spa services, but the spa was beautiful and inviting. Next time we will definitely indulge. Splurge and enjoy! Highly recommend The Allison!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Spa Level are lovely and quiet. Odd numbered rooms are on the Vineyard side which has t...
jccatlady
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed here for a girls weekend - we were quite amazed at the sumptuousness of this hotel. The woodwork, the in-room fireplace, spacious rooms and immaculate grounds were delightful! I can't wait to bring my husband back for a romantic weekend and to enjoy the beautiful spa. This is a really lovely property and a perfect getaway from the city. The staff was friendly and helpful - especially the bell staff in helping us to pack all the wine we bought into our car!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Beaverton, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Took my wife on a surprise Birthday Weekend this this marvelous resort. Had a package that included room, dinner, and spa and it was absolutely incredible. Had wine and bar menu in the afternoon on the covered deck that has a fireplace and view of the vineyard. Had a wonderful dinner and finished by have wine in the Living Room Area where they had wonderful Jazz and a big fireplace fire from 6:30PM to 10:30PM. The room had a fireplace and huge flatscreen TV, and a spa bathroom with a deep soaking tub and Dead Sea Salts. Our favorite part of the room was the wonderful deck with chairs and table, we finished off a bottle of wine looking at the wonderful vineyard and stars before going to dinner. We promised ourselves to go back for my birthday and our anniversary. We are so blessed to have this wonderful resort only 30 minutes from our home. We could have flown to Napa Wine country and not found a better place, we highly recommend this wonderful resort and the service was the best we have ever seen, they really have the help well trained. If you want a great snack, get the Pinot Burger off the bar menu or the Hummus Plate, both are excellent. All the wines were great and the restaurant has over 50 wines by the glass. Over 200 wineries in the area too, but we chose to stay at the resort, and my wife loved her facial at the spa on her birthday. This place is a gem and they told us at dinner that it was just awarded 59th best resort in the world, it deserves it, we were pampered! Very romantic spot too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with deck overlooking the vineyard. Bellman told us that on Wednesdays from 5:30PM...
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night during our wine tasting trip and our only complaint is that we did not stay longer!
The rooms are beautiful (love the fireplace), bathrooms gorgeous, and although we did not visit the spa the pool and jacuzzi were fantastic! There was a crowd around the outdoor fire pit so we enjoyed the "real wood" fireplace that is inside by the bar.
We decided to order room service and were very pleased with the speed in which it arrived and the quality of the food. We had stopped by the Jury restaurant to review the menu and felt a little put off by the hostess...there was no one at the stand so we took a menu to look at. Suddenly she came running over and essentially said they were booked for the evening and we could possibly come by at 8:00 pm to check on availability at the chefs counter (it was a Monday night in Oct). Well we walked by at that time and there was PLENTY of open tables...we ordered room service instead to enjoy in front of the fire but the hostess could have been more accomodating.
All in all a wonderful stay and we will definitely be back!!!!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I just spent 3 wonderful days at the Allison with college girlfriends. The hotel and grounds are lovely. The room was large, beautifully furnished and very clean. The bathroom was large and easily accomodated 2 women getting ready at the same time. The robes were comfortable and we enjoyed the nice gas fireplace. We didn't have a great trip down from Seattle - left behind purse, blown out tire - but the stress of the trip melted right away starting with the very friendly valet, welcoming front desk staff, beautiful room and lovely selection of meats, cheese and bread awaiting us in our room along with a nice half bottle of Willakenzie pinot nior. We took advantage of the Spa while we were there - the services and staff there were also fabulous. The spa is quite nice and had a sauna and steam room that hotel guests can use even if they are not getting services. We took a morning swim in the indoor pool and relaxed in the whirlpool as well. The workout room has good equipment with individual TV's. After my exceptional trip, I had to read the negative reviews posted here because I could not imagine anyone having an unpleasant stay at The Allison. It was apparent to me that these were not "objective" reviews of The Allison. If you choose to let the fact that Fox News is one of the channel options on the tv spoil your trip here (as one reviewer did), you deserve to be miserable. Too bad they didn't just turn off the tv and enjoy the grounds or other amenities. I highly recommend the Allison and will be staying there again this summer, if not sooner.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!