“First Class Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allison Inn & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newberg
Allison Inn & Spa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver
“First Class Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Some time ago we read a review on Trip Advisor which compared the Allison to the Four Seasons Resort in Whistler, B.C. The comparison is apt. This is a first class resort which combines beautiful facilities with excellent service to provide guests with a stay that is not only enjoyable but memorable. It has been our experience that what separates the good resort from the great resort is the human element, namely the warmth and friendliness of the management and staff. From the gentlemen at the entrance, to the reception and concierge, to the servers at the restaurant, to the fine young man who provided the tour of the spa facilities, our experience throughout was one of welcoming hospitality extended genuinely.

The rooms are large, comfortable and beautifully laid out so that views to the outside can be enjoyed throughout, including in the soaker tub or shower, if you so choose. The common facilities, including the spa, swimming pool and outside grounds, are gorgeous. From the facility, you can enjoy country walks or biking, and within minutes drive of the resort you can experience some excellent Oregon wineries.

We ate at Jory restaurant twice and on both occasions enjoyed excellent meals that displayed the freshest of ingredients, some of which are grown right on the Allison property. The manager and sommelier, Tom Bean, was most helpful in our choice of wine and suggested an amazing Pinot Noir from Aubichon Winery. He also very kindly took the time to give us some restaurant suggestions for Portland. We had dinner each night on the terrace which we would highly recommend if the weather is right.

Another distinctive feature of the hotel is the local original art found throughout the common areas and in the rooms. It gives the hotel a special air of quality and genuineness.

If we had only one criticism it would be the fitness room which did not have any natural light and was a bit dreary to be in. However, the spa facilities, including the change area, were nothing short of luxurious with private showers, sauna and eucalyptus steam.

Having arrived at the Allison after spending time at the Four Seasons in Seattle, we can say with some definitiveness that this was a Four Seasons-like experience both in terms of quality of accommodation and attention to service, but at a lower cost. We extend our thanks to the warm and friendly management and staff for making the experience a very special one for us. We will most certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I booked a package called, "a night of wine and roses" this August for my sister and I, and it sure was a day and night of wine (and roses)! We were in the area to visit wineries, and since I knew we wanted to dine at the Jory restaurant, booking that package sounded like a fun idea (despite the romance theme). And it was!

We arrived in our room to a bottle of chilled, Argygle sparkling wine and a basket of goodies including locally-sourced chocolates, shortbread cookies, and other snacks. The water in the hotel is all filtered, and tastes great straight from the tap - a perk you are encouraged to enjoy! It's nice not having to buy bottled water.

We had a room with two queen beds, and let me tell you, neither of us wanted to get up the next day. If it wasn't for the room service and spa appointment, we very well may not have! We even peeled back a pillow-case in an effort to discover who the pillows were made by (they were fluffy down, yet firm) so we could buy some ourselves! The french-press coffee was absolutely delicious (we were both remarking...I'd love to know what kind of coffee that was!) and the yogurt parfaits with fruit, while rich, were tasty.

The room was very large, appointed in contemporary eco-luxurious Northwest style, reminiscent of the Chrysalis Inn in Bellingham, WA, or the Suncadia resort in Cle Elum, WA, but with a Sonoma/Napa twist.

The staff was great. Really friendly, down-to-earth, nice people. Check in and check out were both a breeze. We are a bit on the younger side for a property of this caliber, but were treated perfectly well despite being possibly slightly out of our demographic.

The spa was FANTASTIC! I had the Sensory Bliss massage which was far too short for how amazing it was! The massage therapist I had must be trained as a physical therapist as well, because she really knew her anatomy and sent me out the door with a few extra stretches for remedying my office-job neck problems. Be sure to show up early to indulge in the waiting/living room, steam and sauna rooms, and even order from the Jory restaurant right to the spa for a healthful lunch should you choose.

The Jory restaurant was also incredible. I'll save that for another review - it deserves it's own review it was so good. Northwest cuisine at its best!

The rose bath that came with the package was a real treat. We were laughing at how over-the-top it was, but believe me, it was really great! Also, you can watch the TV or see the fireplace from the bathtub (the doors around can be moved) so you can soak and luxuriate in real style!

Make time for the gym before you hit the spa and pool - it has TechnoGym equipment allowing you to plug in your iPhone/iPod and listen to your own music or watch your own videos if the TV included on each machine isn't doing it for you. It was a shame the elliptical machines were out of service, but the rest of the gym was in good shape (save no towels to wipe down machines).

If you stay at the Allison be sure you don't make the same mistake we did - stay at least two nights!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

If your looking for a great place to stay in wine country look no further!!! This is a hidden gem that I am so glad we found. They arranged for a car to pick us up and wine taste and after our day we returned to such a peaceful place to relax and have dinner. The staff was great and the grounds are spectacular, oh and I can't forget about the great rooms!!! A must do!!!

• Stayed August 2011
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

This is a first class operation. Beautiful hotel in beautiful surroundings. We were very impressed with the materials used to furnish this inn. All beautiful woods, stone and natural substances. Very eco as well. Our drinking glasses in the room were made from recycled wine bottle bottoms. Extremely spacious rooms and bathrooms. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling in the Newberg area.

Room Tip: In my opinion, try to get a room on the vineyard side.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Here’s what I loved about The Allison:
• The rooms. All the rooms are large and generally well designed.

• The people. Most “luxury” US hotels claim to have fantastic help but The Allison really does. Every single employee that I met was genuinely nice and very helpful. It must be the fresh air that has them all so happy.

• The food. JORY is worth a visit even if you are not staying at the hotel. I had breakfast every day at the hotel and I quickly found a favorite. The house made granola and yogurt parfait. It was perfect! Plus if you get the Vintners Breakfast it comes with a dangerously delicious breadbasket, juice, coffee, etc. At dinner I opted for the two specials (beet salad and a veal pasta dish) both were excellent.

• The Spa. You’ll certainly want to go to the spa at least once. The spa is enormous, the treatments are rejuvenating, and the therapists seem to work miracles! One thing that stands out as a bonus in the treatment rooms is that they have towel warmers for you to hand your robe on so when your treatment is finished you can wrap yourself up in a perfectly warmed robe.

• The gym. The gym was a good size and had plenty of good equipment. It was popular in the mornings.

• The property itself. The gardens are well manicured and provide the kitchen with some fresh ingredients. If you go save time to stroll around. My friends saw some beautiful deer too!

Here’s what I thought could have been better.
• Ground floor rooms. One thing to know is that there are a bunch of rooms on the ground floor that open up right into the beautiful garden area. I think I’ve lived in cities to long because all I could think about was someone looking in my room. So if you go you’ll want to make sure you’re on the second floor if you worry about that like I do.
• Slippers. There were not any slippers in the room. I know I lived in Asia a longtime but I think slippers should be in every decent hotel – just like bathrobes. If you’re going to stay at a hotel with such a wonderful spa there should be slippers for you to walk in from your room to the spa. Going in a bathrobe and dress shoes isn’t really a valid option. I’ve already told the team about this issue so hopefully they’ll add this necessity. I also hope they’ll upgrade the robe to cotton from 100% polyester – it seems to go against their eco stance and I couldn’t use the robe because every robe was full of static electricity.
• Mini-bar. The hotel provided a wonderful welcome basket with all kinds of local treats, which is great, and then nothing in the mini-bar. Literally it just sits there empty…but running (eco friendly). They provided bottled water at night but the bottle is so small I’d have liked to have some extra in the morning. Or maybe juice before heading off to breakfast.

Overall I think the hotel is really great and worth visiting.

Room Tip: As for a room on the second or third floor facing the garden
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
OnlineConcierge, Online Concierge for The Allison Inn & Spa at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
A quick note - our quickest yet! We took your advice, and got slippers in the rooms! Thank you for that. The robes are also a cotton-poly blend now. The comment about the fridge was interesting, and while we didn't install in room smart energy controls, we are talking to people about a possible retrofit that puts some of the room into "hibernation" when no one is present. Wonderful advice, and thank you much for the excellent review! I know it's been a slight wait for the response, but we read and immediately acted on your review last year. Just wanted to send a friendly update, and cheers!

Michael | Online Concierge
The Allison Inn & Spa
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

What a spectacular property. We were there for our anniversary and they helped to make this a truly magical one. Amenities were incredible. It was absolutly beautiful. Very accomodating staff. First class all the ways. Gym was small as was the pool but realities are you are in the heart of wine country and should be at wineries! Beds were super comfy. Wine list was stellar. There is not one bad thing that can be said about this property.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Everything was top notch, and we loved how friendly this Inn is towards the environment. Amenities were wonderful, staff were all welcoming and wonderful, and the in room experience was amazing. Special touches everywhere and comfort galore.

We travel all over and often, and we have been in this area many times before and have stayed at some of the finest B&B's via Unique Inns and other sources. This new Inn will not disappoint and is truly environmentally friendly. The fenced in herb garden outside is a sign of the efficiency of the restaurant and it's approach to keeping everything fresh and local. Don't forget to dine at Jory---it too , is amazing.
We will be back!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!