“Indescribable committment to hospitality and relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portland, Oregon
“Indescribable committment to hospitality and relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I love the Allison Inn & Spa so much that we've decided to make it an annual tradition for our anniversary each year. I wrote my initial review after staying for the first time at the Allison Inn for our wedding night, and didn't think our second experience could have possibly been better than that... and yet it was.

We stayed at the Allison Inn this weekend to celebrate our one year anniversary, and were in sheer bliss from the moment we pulled up to the valet. Every staff member was congratulatory towards us and made us feel very valued and special. We were upgraded complimentarily to a king deluxe room and had a bottle of (my favorite!) Argyle champagne waiting for us when we arrived. We toasted to a year of marriage, read books in the lobby by the fire, sipped on NW pinot noir and listened to jazz music in the lobby living room, ate delicious steak and locally grown vegetables at the Jory restaurant, fell asleep in luxuriously soft sheets, awoke to rain trickling down our windows with a view of the vineyard and gardens, and ate breakfast in bed (complete with fresh squeezed orange juice and french press coffee) by our cozy fire. After breakfast I had a massage in the spa (and it was literally the best massage I've ever had), we swam and soaked in the pool and hot tub, layed out and talked some more, read books again in our window seat, and enjoyed a nice warm bath with dead sea salts to round out our morning. Everything was bliss and perfection, and I have never in my life (and in my worldwide travel experiences!) had a hotel experience quite like The Allison. While price is a bit steep, it's one of those indulgences that is worth every single penny.

I often take my photography clients to The Allison for photo shoots & coffee, and to introduce them to one of my most favorite places in Oregon. Many of my friends have booked nights at The Allison because of my recommendations, and because they fall in love with the property when we visit, too!

My husband and I plan to be back on every anniversary that we can for the rest of our married lives. :) (That could be a lot of visits to The Allison!) I can't speak highly enough about this hotel. You will have a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We booked three couples (2nd visit for two couples) at the Allison Inn -- checked-in at about 6:00 p.m. -- I called in advance and asked that we all be given "good rooms" as we were bringing out of state guests. When we checked in I reminded "Steve" (apparently the front desk manager) of the call. He assured us (my wife and I) we would have, "a lovely view of the gardens."

The Allison was hosting a large wedding party (i.e., the normal outdoor sitting area was off-limits to PAYING guests). All our rooms (our group of 3 couples) were on the ground floor and ours in front of the catering staff -- great, $325/night and a beautiful view of stainless steel warming racks by the catering department (very well thought out by The Allison). Also, the sleeping room next to us was the "Men's Room" for the event - oh very professional! As the party guests walked to and from the restroom(s), they enjoyed looking in our room (i.e., no privacy).

Needless to say, I became angry returned to the front desk and "Steve" came walking up. I said, "This is ridiculous, we are paying top dollar for a Spa facility, made the reservation months in advance, called to ensure a good room and we are looking at warming racks and requested a new room. He said, "we are sold out and unfortunately cannot move you." Say what?? Then he offered, " I was just thinking about it too (apparently that thought did not cross his mind earlier, when he said we would have a "lovely view of the gardens") and we can take care of your room financially (he did - and we were not charged)." He also offered, "we have had only a handful of wedding and do not have it fully figured out." The irony, last time at the Allison, they were hosting a wedding (I guess we hit two of the "handful").

Later at dinner, Steve sent a bottle of sparkling champagne (nice gesture)...and under the circumstances, the best "fix".

Here is my question: The Allison holds itself as uniquely suited for the discriminating traveler -- then why the chaotic weddings? I don't hold "Steve" accountable, but instead have a question for the Managing Director, Pierre Zreik: "Why the weddings...and if so, why not better planning for other guests"? The hotel has been open for nearly two years -- either figure it out or ban weddings (it is that simple) -- you have had plenty of time to get "this one" (i.e. weddings) right and you have not.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
OnlineConcierge, Online Concierge for The Allison Inn & Spa at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
It is not in our nature to exclude specific types of groups from enjoying our property... we like the idea of community, diversity, and celebration of all sorts of occasions, from group events to private, personal retreats. The only caveat is that we have made one of our guests unhappy!

This is incredibly rare, as you can tell by our stellar reviews, and completely unacceptable. I am pleased that Steve, our Assistant General Manager, was aware of your situation and actively (not passively) attempted to resolve it. He seemed to extend himself as fully as possible under the circumstances - he was quite gracious in lieu of our bungle. It is true that we haven't done many large weddings, and it is a situation like yours that is a painful lesson, but one that we have learned much from, in moving forward. We know that is likely of little consolation, and we apologize.

I know what it is like to be responsible enough to call ahead to secure the best available room - you are a savvy traveler, and even calling to check in about such things should elevate our awareness and take care of you. It's the same awareness we have about the savviness of Tripadvisor users, and how much more dialed in and informed they are with researching about travel. But we must be forward that weddings have not caused problems, as we manage them appropriately - we organize group blocks to remain together, we have time restrictions so that the wedding will only be active in public spaces for a few short hours, and the like.

The "groom's room" was actually a guest restroom for the wedding party, and was a first time experiment that failed - we didn't expect it to effect other rooms, but it did, and for this we apologize. In fact, Steve was quite aware of your situation after check in, even going out to the event to see how it's situation would impact you. When you returned to the desk, he was just walking back so he could contact you. Typically, guests come for 2 nights on Friday, so our hotel was quite full the day of your arrival, and our ability to manage room inventory on Saturday becomes incredibly limited. When your reservation was booked, our hotel was almost fully committed, and we had few remaining options at the time of booking - rooms were already occupied. We also did not know that the enclosed tent about 100 feet away would be there, or effect room views to any degree. We know you could still see the gardens, but that tent obstructed your view enough to upset you, which was not our intent. Our simple mission and intent is to have every single guest calm and happy. We apologize for all these issues the day of your stay, which restricted our ability to resolve the situation appropriately, and find you new rooms. It isn't common, it isn't acceptable, and it is a lesson that has impacted us such that you can be assured it is unlikely to happen again.

We thank you for your review, and reaching out to us in such a way. It is important for us to grow in lieu of being humbled by constructive reviews such as yours, and we intend to do so. It does not make up for your experience, or resolve the situation, but we hope you can see our earnest attempt to make the outcome as pleasant as possible, and our earnest, transparent, forthright, public apology for the situation. We are thrilled your guests had such an exceptional time, and in the future hope to impress the same experience on you! Cheers, be well, and we hope to try again in the future!

Carefree, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I spent one night at the Allison on our trip from our home in Arizona to our home in Seattle and we both LOVED it! The decor is amazing...being a professional designer, I know and appreciate attention to detail and good design!

I was shocked to read the negative review regarding political agenda,we didn't find any issues with the TV news channels, there were plenty to choose from (trust me we hate Fox News and would have run like ---- had that been our only choice for news)....I sincerely don't believe the hotel has a political agenda.

I was so impressed with this place that my husband gave me a weekend with a girlfriend to return to the Allison and enjoy the spa. We are headed back in a couple of weeks and I can't wait! This is by far the best place to stay if you are enjoying Oregon wine country, except you may never want to leave your room.

Room Tip: if allergic to pets don't stay on bottom floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words! We love your profession - and completely understand how much impact interior design has on a space. What's more, you lend expert testimony as to our interiors. Our design team did an unbelievable job creating a sense of place through simple tones and textures. It is an amazing experience to walk through the hotel, and we look at it as art in some senses. The entire architectural, design, and construction team was top notch, and we are indebted to them for working together to create such a special place. What's more, if they did their job well enough to have you coming back so soon... we can't thank *them* enough!

We really need to thank you - for sharing your experience and your helpful tips. These reviews are read by many people, and are quite impacting. Sharing your thoughts means a lot to us, and will inform people for years to come. It's exciting to know we made you happy, and hope to have the chance to do so for some time to come. Thank you again, and be well!

Michael H. | Online Concierge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We just completed 2 nights at the beautiful Allison Inn & Spa. This is a first class hotel from start to finish. The staff is extrordinarily friendly & courteous. They really want to help you. Rooms are beautiful and meticulous in detail. Views are spectacular & soothing. Great place to relax & very romantic.

• Stayed July 2011
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Solar panels and a living roof were the first details I noticed about the Allison. This was the first time in all my travels that the bell boy asked if we would like to take the stairs or elevator. We gladly took the stairs enjoying the amazing views.
The rooms are extremely comfortable and show the same carefull attention to detail. The lay out of the room highlighted the lovely gardens, the spa like bathroom and the all of the fine touches like a Bose radio, fabulous Bonny Doon soaps, basket of high quality snacks.....
The service was impeccable and very helpful when asked for directions and winery suggestions.
The work out facility was clean, well equipped and spacious.

• Stayed July 2011
Cheers and good day! We surely like a twist.. whether it's in one of our marvelous cocktails made by quality bartenders, or a shining review that points out some of our more subtle nuances that help to create an even better stay. We aren't into "Green" for marketing purposes - it's simply the right way to do business. In this day and age, when constructing something new, you need to be deferential to the landscape and community surrounding it. There are many ways to lessen your impact - whether through systems that reduce utilities (the living roof which insulates, the solar which powers) to operations that improve efficiency of environmental programs (such as suggesting the easy and beautiful walk up the stairs). We mean to be green without impacting other people's experience or expectations, but we do enjoy when people positively notice the type of environment we try to create, while still being responsible to the overall environment around us. We understand that humans aren't pitted against nature, but that humans *ARE* part of nature (a lesson I learned from the artist Andy Goldsworthy) - and it is our responsibility to create balance and do what we can to offset our impacts. Waterford Hotels & Inns, the management group for the Allison Inn & Spa, is the only group in the world with Two LEED Gold hotels. A new project of has them pursuing LEED Gold, once again, which will assure that they are environmental leaders for years to come.

For the discerning vacationer who is concerned about luxury *and* their impact, do rest assured that we are considering it for you. You simply won't have to have those concerns when you are with us; you simply need to worry about how comfortable and stress free we can make you. We like to think it is a "fair trade".

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was extremely pleasant. The staff was always courteous, the accommodations wonderful and the atmosphere relaxing. If we had a need for anything, the front desk took care of it immediately. The bed was comfortable and the morning coffee delicious. We've stayed at high end hotels all over the world, from the Pierre in New York City to the George V in Paris. While the atmosphere here is a bit more laid back, the quality of service rivals any other place. My only regret? Not making a reservation in time to eat at their restaurant. We'd heard from the locals that it's also outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking their vineyard.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for review! You hold us in very high esteem with our peers, and it is an honor to be mentioned side by side with them (Especially the Pierre, which is our General Manager's name). It means a lot that you get what we are doing - unrivaled service in a more welcoming, homey atmosphere. We are certainly not a city hotel, and don't want our pace to match it... but we also commit to never stumbling on, or sacrificing, service. It's the hallmark of what makes us special, and it is wonderful that you point it out! It's true... our front desk and staff will go out of their way to do anything possible for you, and we pride ourselves in being available at all times, and ready to enhance your stay. No matter what sort of help or responsiveness you need to feel more comfortable, we will help make this your best stay ever. So whatever you need... suggestions, problem solving, or even with situations that do not involve the hotel... we are ready and waiting to make you happy and simplify your life. Thank you for noticing, and we hope we will have the chance to host you again. Be well!

Michael H. | Online Concierge
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The Allison Inn & Spa is truly a destination in itself in the Willamette Valley. It is a dream-like oasis that can either be the perfect base from which to explore the valley and all it has to offer (fabulous wineries, The Spruce Goose at the Evergreen Aviation Museum are our favorites), or a serene hideaway for those seeking the ulitmate in relaxation. The owners of the hotel have spared no expense in selecting only the finest finishings for the rooms and public areas. The staff are helpful to a fault, and their suggestions really made our stay special. Thanks especially to Tom for making our winery tour perfect! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
You review was too kind, but not to a fault. There is no fault in expressing how enjoyable your stay was! =) It's a pleasure seeing the happy experiences that we have helped with, and appreciate you taking the time to share it with others. It means a lot, and will help us for years to come!

As people start exploring the Willamette Valley as an option for wine touring, versus other Western wine areas, they will learn much from your review. For example, make sure to speak with Tom Bean, our wine director and restaurant manager, to enhance your familiarity with the region, and find some of the best options for a relaxing, lazy drive around the valley. Our staff is always willing to tell you their favorite spots and learn more about what sort of stay you are hoping for, so they can tailor suggestions to fit your desires.

It's quite true about The Allison being perfect for those who want to explore, or those who wish to simply decompress and unplug. The fact is, many of our guests come with expectations of seeing the stunning Willamette Valley and all it has to offer, just to find themselves slinking back into an atmosphere of pure bliss and relaxation. Sometimes, people just don't leave. Your review will help future guests eager to find out which of the two types of stays they will have. Just remember... you can always come back and do it again!

So - thank you, very much, and we are pleased that you had such a fantastic time. We definitely share all these reviews with the staff, if they haven't eagerly read it, already. Tom will be thrilled, and we appreciate mentioning him! He is truly a gem.

The Allison Inn & Spa

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!