“We love Happy Camp.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Happy Camp Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Netarts
Happy Camp Hideaway
Happy Camp Road, Netarts, OR   |
Salem, Oregon
“We love Happy Camp.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have been coming to Happy Camp for years and I am now 82 years and still love being at Happy Camp and seeing Teresa and Bruce - they are the best owners and friends one could have. My cocker spaniels and I have stayed in every one of the cabins and once a year we have our women's retreat with around 28-30 women where we rent the whole camp and have a wonderful time. Bruce gets the campfire ready for us - Teresa checks us all in - the cabins are ready for us -we move in and take over for a weekend of fun, fellowship and food. During the year I try to get down once a month for a couple nites - mornings are great on the beach for a walk with my dogs and no one else there. Access to the beach is easy for us older folks, scenery just short of heaven and time to relax, rest and thank God for Happy Camp.

Room Tip: Cabins # 5,7 or 9 are my favorites.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I'm disappointed in the reviews posted by some people here about their problems with some of the cabins. Personally, we don't go to this place because we're interested in a luxury hotel experience. We want the beach experience....and who cares of it's a little rough.

I bring my two children here...along with our dog...and we don't have to worry about dragging a little sand in (although we try to keep it at a minimum). I don't care for the more stuffy, impersonal chain hotels on the coast and this is a breath of fresh air and so unique. The fact they welcome dogs is a huge plus and not something you will find in a lot of places. I have found the managers to be very accommodating and easy going and this has always created a more care free, worry free, and hassle free experience. I have stayed in probably every cabin and each one is unique. Not one is perfect. But I have never seen anything in a room that would make me want my money back. Just get out there, drag your suitcase in, grab a beer, get out to the beach, and stop complaining. You're at the beach!

Room Tip: Ask the managers to make a suggestion if you have a special concern.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pacific Northwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were looking for a getaway - quiet, peace, and the ocean. We are familiar with the area and chose Happy Camp based on that. To be honest some of the reviews were scary. However, we booked cabin #5 - Couple's Retreat & didn't regret it. Yes, Happy Camp is rustic and a little unkempt, but we were not disappointed. The cabin was clean, the owners friendly, the view amazing, dog friendly, welcoming, and the peacefulness divine. If you want an artificial beach vacation, rent one of the houses. Save the cabins for people who appreciate them. Baja204 sums it up best in her rating - this is what a beach break is all about. We will be repeat customers. PS - yes, wifi was spotty - however that made me realize I was NOT supposed to be hooked on electronics at the beach, I was supposed to be hooked on the beach (and the man sharing my bed).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I along with our two dogs visit Happy Camp at least once a year and have been for 15 years. We love Happy Camp. It is right on the beach/bay area. The scenery changes every few minutes as the tide rolls in and out. The owners are fantastic and so very friendly. It is an older place and being next to the ocean has some wear and tear but it is comfortable, clean and there are so much beachy things to do. Not alot of people.....so if serenity and comfort is what you want, this is the place to visit. Have a great time!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Richland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Bay is so beautiful, the views from the windows in the cabins are perfect, the decor is homey, but there is much that could be done to make these cabins more hospitable. There are many differences between rustic and rundown. I love the charm of the cabins, but they have had so little attention; mold on the window sills, filthy blinds, rust around the toilets on the floor with no caulking, fans that don't work in the bathroom, etc. These problems that are not maintained will further destroy the cabins and I sincerely hope the owners will put a little time into each of the older cabins to save them. The play structure for the children is great, they can pretend they are pirates right on the sea. However, right around the structure are piles of broken wood planks everywhere and looks like a small dump site. The wifi and cell coverage are spotty and sometimes non-existent, so if you are hoping to check in with family or business while you are there, you will probably have to go up the road. We have stayed in 2 of the cabins and would love to come back to this wonderful property, but will probably get a clean room a few miles away instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

OK, Here's the deal. I have been coming to Happy Camp for years. This trip I was meeting my best friend who I met on this beach 43 years ago. The camp ground is now luxury homes and the old camp store is now a huge private home, but the cabins at the end have been there since the 40's. They are old and historic and I thank god no one has torn them down because to me, they give me my childhood back for a few nights every few years I decide to come back. My childhood friend and I rented cabin 5 and 6. We sat on the porches and giggled about all the memories we had as children here. There was something special about this place 40+ years ago and there still is something special about this place. The beach is small and quaint and great for young children and families. At the cabins, there are benches and chairs right on the beach edge where you can watch beautiful sunsets. You can build a camp fire on the beach. All dogs are welcome here. Even our obnoxious bird was a hit with Teresa, the manager. People here are happy and friendly. The cabins are old. The floors are uneven, and if you are nicpicky you can come up with a list of things that don't work, need fixing and items from the kitchen you need, etc, etc.. soooo, if you're looking for perfection, this isn't the place and we don't want you here. If you can have a good laugh and "just go with it" you will love this place and keep coming back for years to come!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The home is right on the beach line. The interior of the home has generous sized rooms. The home has an open cooking area and a large dining table. We were very pleased with the living space and the condition of the property

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Happy Camp Hideaway? Share your experiences!