“Wonderful Place to Stay and Enjoy the Oregon Coast!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Happy Camp Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Netarts
Happy Camp Hideaway
You added Happy Camp Hideaway to your Saves list
Happy Camp Road, Netarts, OR   |
“Wonderful Place to Stay and Enjoy the Oregon Coast!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I along with our two dogs visit Happy Camp at least once a year and have been for 15 years. We love Happy Camp. It is right on the beach/bay area. The scenery changes every few minutes as the tide rolls in and out. The owners are fantastic and so very friendly. It is an older place and being next to the ocean has some wear and tear but it is comfortable, clean and there are so much beachy things to do. Not alot of people.....so if serenity and comfort is what you want, this is the place to visit. Have a great time!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Richland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Bay is so beautiful, the views from the windows in the cabins are perfect, the decor is homey, but there is much that could be done to make these cabins more hospitable. There are many differences between rustic and rundown. I love the charm of the cabins, but they have had so little attention; mold on the window sills, filthy blinds, rust around the toilets on the floor with no caulking, fans that don't work in the bathroom, etc. These problems that are not maintained will further destroy the cabins and I sincerely hope the owners will put a little time into each of the older cabins to save them. The play structure for the children is great, they can pretend they are pirates right on the sea. However, right around the structure are piles of broken wood planks everywhere and looks like a small dump site. The wifi and cell coverage are spotty and sometimes non-existent, so if you are hoping to check in with family or business while you are there, you will probably have to go up the road. We have stayed in 2 of the cabins and would love to come back to this wonderful property, but will probably get a clean room a few miles away instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

OK, Here's the deal. I have been coming to Happy Camp for years. This trip I was meeting my best friend who I met on this beach 43 years ago. The camp ground is now luxury homes and the old camp store is now a huge private home, but the cabins at the end have been there since the 40's. They are old and historic and I thank god no one has torn them down because to me, they give me my childhood back for a few nights every few years I decide to come back. My childhood friend and I rented cabin 5 and 6. We sat on the porches and giggled about all the memories we had as children here. There was something special about this place 40+ years ago and there still is something special about this place. The beach is small and quaint and great for young children and families. At the cabins, there are benches and chairs right on the beach edge where you can watch beautiful sunsets. You can build a camp fire on the beach. All dogs are welcome here. Even our obnoxious bird was a hit with Teresa, the manager. People here are happy and friendly. The cabins are old. The floors are uneven, and if you are nicpicky you can come up with a list of things that don't work, need fixing and items from the kitchen you need, etc, etc.. soooo, if you're looking for perfection, this isn't the place and we don't want you here. If you can have a good laugh and "just go with it" you will love this place and keep coming back for years to come!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The home is right on the beach line. The interior of the home has generous sized rooms. The home has an open cooking area and a large dining table. We were very pleased with the living space and the condition of the property

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We enjoyed cabin 3. They're all right on the beach with little decks out front. We also had a charcoal grill to use. It's old and crooked (especially the floors), the bathroom is tiny...but it's everything you need for a great family time at the beach. You can't beat the location. Netarts is beautiful, uncrowded, but a close drive to other busier beach towns. The beds were comfortable and the love seat was a pull-out bed. We also loved the wood stove in the living room. The kitchen, though tiny, had what we needed. There was a play structure right across the way. Our kids and dog loved it there. The people there were very hospitable and welcoming, although we did not see the owners while we were there. Again, this place is nothing fancy, but a nice little cottage with a fantastic location for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We arrived for our 3pm check-in time to find an empty manager's office. We tried to call the number on the door but Netarts has extremely spotty cell service. So we just hung out on the beach waiting for someone to come...hours later, we flagged down a housekeeper who told us the door was open! Apparently it sticks, but how were we supposed to know that? The manager offered no apologies.
Cabin 7 was just fine -- shabby but comfortable as long as you don't plan on using the hard futon for a bed. The floor is quite warped as another reviewer mentioned -- get tipsy and you feel like it's a funhouse! We loved the beach access, as did our kid and dog. The kitchenette was great. It was really exactly what we were looking for as an inexpensive beach retreat. There is an awesome bonfire area and a cute little beachfront playground.
There was a large family reunion staying there at the same time as us, so it was a pretty loud party at night. This was not really a big deal, but then around midnight someone drove up in a Happy Camp truck (the manager's son, maybe?) with a couple of drunk buddies and started LOUDLY loading wood and yelling to each other right next to our cabin. It woke all of us up. We complained the next morning when we checked out. Instead of apologizing, let alone offering us any sort of discount for the hours we spent waiting to be let in to our cabin or our lost sleep, the manager completely shrugged it off.
So, it is what it is. It's a decent price, clean, a great view, and a decent place to stay. But don't expect even a cheap motel's level of service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I will try and keep this brief: We booked last minute and were lucky enough to get the big house for a night. This place is so amazing. The porch views are all you need, but definitely the full kitchen/living room, washer/dryer and the two bedrooms (upstairs) was what made this like having our own home practically on the beach.

Teresa who I dealt with was awesome and very cool to deal with. She had a casual vibe that I like and it felt like renting from a friend.

The sunset I saw was one of nicest, and I hesitate to post pictures then not be able to rent the next time I visit because this is the first place I will return to on the Oregon Coast other than the amazing state parks.

Bottom line: I could spend my life watching the tide come in and out here. I guess the bad weather might get depressing but we only had sun and I loved it here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Happy Camp Hideaway? Share your experiences!