“Overall small and get what paid for” 2 of 5 stars

Shilo Inn Medford
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2111 Biddle Rd, Medford, OR 97504   |
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Valley Springs, California
“Overall small and get what paid for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

After driving all day we arrived and the desk person was rude and unfriendly. Asked for a quiet room as I am a light sleeper. Asked for a room on the street side as thought it would be quieter than freeway. Desk person said she also cleaned rooms and they were all quiet. Went to our room and it was small, very small. It was clean. Went to dinner, came back and got ready to relax and watch a little TV. Could here cars driving down the street and there was also a low hum coming from an equipment room next door. It ran for 10 seconds every few minutes. Turned off the TV and listen for a few minutes and thought it wasn't so bad until 2 am when I awoke and it kept me up the remainder of the morning. Told the morning desk people about our evening and they apoligized and said it was the cooling fan for the computer equipment and that it should have been off. Anyways, shame on us for not moving. Won't be back though to this or any other Shilo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I only gave this motel a 2 mainly because of the housekeeping. For a small motel, the room was good sized and had a refrigerator and microwave. The beds were too hard and pretty uncomfortable for me, but the thing that bothered me the most about this place was the general feeling of unclean I felt. There was visible mildew in the shower, the carpet and bedding looked dirty and the room had a dirty, smokey smell (even though it was a non-smoking room). This motel would have rated even lower because of this, but the very nice staff kept me from hitting it too hard. The young ladies we met in the office were very kind and accommodating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Medford, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear trip_loverCA,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about our employees. However, I was disappointed to hear about the feeling you had while staying with us. We are an older property and we always take extra pains to make sure our rooms are clean as well as inviting. We will use your comments to re-evaluate our housekeeping routines. Thank you again for your comments so that we will always be perfecting our goal of cleanliness and friendliness.

Ashley K
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The room was in general grimy and uncomfortable. I discovered that the sheets on one bed had not been changed- there was blood and hair on them. The bedspread had mysterious brownish spots on it. I had to wash the phone receiver before I tried to use it (I am not a clean freak- you would have too!), but you could barely hear the person on the other end. The desk clerk could not have cared less, but I thought it was a safety issue. Yes, I have a cell phone, but not everyone does.
The continental breakfast, however, was better than the usual budget hotel spread, and the areas that it was served in were very clean. The coffee was not bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Medford, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear BostonSea,

Thank you for staying with us and letting us know your feedback so that we may improve. I am pleased to hear your positive comments about our Continental Breakfast and coffee; our guests really enjoy it. However, I am disapointed that your room was not up to our standards. I will be sharing your comments with all of our staff and taking the nessicary steps to ensure that this kind of experience will not happen to another guest. I sincerly hope that you will give us another chance to offer you our pledge of 'Affordable Excellence' the next time you find yourself in Southern Oregon.

Ashley K
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Great value- and it might be on the aged side , but it was clean.! Nice staff , and what I appreciated was to hear the employees say" Merry Christmas" , served breakfast until 10:00 , had fox news on , gives military veterans a discount and serves Seattle best Coffee!
However I would say it would be better if they went to the disposable cups instead of plastic wrap over cups and glasses .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Reserved a 2-queen room at this hotel for Thanksgiving (11/22/12) and the night after. Right away when we got there we noticed the smell of must and marijuana in the halls. There is an "elevator" going up to the rooms, but it was very rickety and creaked a lot, kind of scary. We got to our room and noticed how dark and unclean it seemed. The beds were Rick hard, and as I checked for a mattress pad/cover and clean bedding--without bedbugs--there was only a fuzzy blanket somewhat covering the mattress, and it was stained with a yellow-brownish something. I was immediately grossed out. When I used the bathroom, I noticed hairs in and on top of the bathtub. Another huge minus. The furniture was very dingy and old, the doors were scratched up and had a hard time shutting them. We weren't going to complain until the morning, we would just sleep in the bed that WASN'T stained. We were exhausted from traveling 5 hours on hardly any sleep and then a long day of cooking and family time. Thank goodness our kid did not stay with us as planned or we definitely would have left sooner. So we lay down to try to get a few hours shut eye, but I was still watching tv and had to use the bathroom. I walked in and immediately noticed a small two tone brown bug on the molding by the floor. I looked closer and recognized it instantly--it was a COCKROACH. It moved, but didn't run. I didn't kill it because I immediately went down to the office and told the front desk lady what was going on. She came up and I showed her all the issues, including the bug, and she offered to move us to the room next door. I went in and inspected that one, lo and behold the sheets were dirty in that one too! She said the bathroom was fine and we were welcome to use it if we didn't want to move from our current room, as we weren't about to use the bathroom there. She was NOT apologeticand said she couldn't do anything until the manager got there in the morning. She basically didn't seem to give a hoot that we were pissed about a filthy room! We slept in the bed that seemed to be "clean", on top of all the sheets and under just the top blanket. At 7:30 the next morning, my boyfriend went to the front desk and complained. He came back saying they said nothing, no apology and that I would have to go down for any refund since I signed for the room. So we packed up and headed down, the front desk girl seemed somewhat friendly, said simply "sorry about that" and gave us a full refund. We are now at the holiday inn express and they checked us in to a room right away, at 8am, when we explained we had nowhere to stay. A clean, comfortable room at that. Bottom line--DO NOT STAY at Shilo inn Medford. EVER. Spend $20-30 more and stay somewhere that doesn't have cockroaches and dirty facilities and bedding. It was disgusting and we will never stay at a shilo again.

• Stayed November 2012
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Medford, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear MichelleJ8,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought of our hotel. I am deeply sorry to hear about the events from your recent stay. Due to your comments a retraining for all departments and employees will be held to ensure that we strive for the cornerstone foundation of Shilo Inns - Friendliness and Cleanliness. We hope that if you are in Medford again, you'll give us another chance to show you the "Affordable Excellence" we are proud to call Shilo hospitality.

Ashley Keeney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I don't live in a palace but I have to say I was shocked at our very tiny room. It was smaller than the smallest bedroom in my own home. Still use keys to get in the room, could hear noise going on nearby. Older, small TV....very shabby to say the least. Only good thing was they had an elevator. Room was claustrophobic. Breakfast, better off skipping that and going to Elmer's. No recliner or sofa in this room. Poor experience overall.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnemucca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

After all the searching for a reasonably priced place to stay we settled on The Shilo Inn mostly because of a previious review reagarding their good Continental Breakfast. We got here rather late and the front desk staff was cheerful even though I probably wasn't after a long day in the car. Even though this is an older property it s kept very clean and the rooms were more than adequat with comfortable beds. They tried to anticipate our needs and provided us with extra towels for the girls (as girls alway seem to need them).

We had a small boat in tow and they suggested a better place to park where they would be able to watch it from the front desk which gave us peace of mind and a better nights sleep. The morning breakfast was very good. We made on own fresh waffles, fresh fruit, milk, juice, and yogurt. Yes we are pigs! But full ones so the 7 year old won't be whining for food by the time we get in the car to leave. Their checkout is at noon which is covenient for those wanting to do a little shoppiing before traveling on. A huge Fred Meyer is very close by.

The staff, including the manager, was very helpful in giving us ideas of things to do and see while we were in the area.

Overall I was very pleased with our stay and will most likely return on our way back south.

Room Tip: We could have stayed somewhere for less but a good meal to get you on your way is worth the few extr...