“Didn't see any of the goodness” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Phoenix, AZ
“Didn't see any of the goodness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We simply didn't experience any of the goodness that others seem to see in this restaurant. Our halibut appeared to have been boiled instead of seared and finished in the oven as promised. This fish was nasty and tasteless. Our friends' fondue was cold and the server never did light the flame. The cheese was gooey and bland, their veggies hard and tasteless. Service was slow. We waited 20 minutes for our finished plates to be cleared and then had to ask to make this happen. On paying the check, the server left my VISA card in the back and it took him several minutes to retrieve it after I called this to his attention. Would never return to this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
GoodFood, Owner at Bistro Maison, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
I am truly apologetic for not having the experience you were expecting. I have spoken to the server that had the credit card mishap and used your comments on yelp, trip advisor, and urban spoon for training. I'm sure that lack of ownership and poor response will nor be repeated. He was truly sorry.

Re: the food. I think there might have been some confusion.

Our 2in thick hazelnut crusted pork chop is seared in a nut crust and then slow roasted to lock in the moisture that pork has a tendency to loose when cooking. Our Oregon Chinook Salmon & Halibut are cooking very delicately with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. We then oven roasted in a low temp convection oven to keep them moist and texture supple. This show cases the integrity and high quality of these fish. It is probably the best quality found in the world due to its purity & non existent shelf life. All of the intense flavors come from the sauces. Your wife being dairy free, we made her a special classic Provencal sauce to accommodate her needs and yours was the morels and morel cream sauce. In classic French cooking we practice and strive for the purity of finest proteins to shine. We don't have blackened, crusted, spiced or breaded fish.

The fondue was turn off by the younger couple at the table because it was boiling to much. When we went over to light it, we were told to not relight, b/c it was boiling. We have a chart in the kitchen, updating each tables fondue so we don't duplicate requests. I'm sorry we didn't go back later to offer a relight. All vegetables to dip in the fondue are not cooked. The apples are intentional kept raw, the beets are blanched, but the potatoes are cooked through and then reheated to served when requested.

Each customer has a different view.. Some think our truffle fondue it so overtly powerful, some think it's perfect, and some think it's light. We use the best quality ingredients money can buy and have the same highly experienced kitchen crew cook at least 30 a day. Hopefully one day we will all be happy.

From the time you sat down to the time your credit card was ran is was 2.5 hours including a couple drinks made, appetizers, dinner, desserts. Our cameras showed that you left 2.75 hours after you entered the restaurant.

Again, I do thank you for your review. It was very educating that all of our guests have different views and we shall strive every day to accommodate each and everyone of them. I try not to take each on so personally, but this bistro is my child and will not stop till we have it perfected. Thank you for showing me the light and allowing our entire staff to remain humbled each and every day.

Sheridan, Oregon
“The Best in McM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is a local restaurant for me, and it's where I always bring family and guests when they come into town. The owners are wonderful people and knowledgeable, and always have something new on the menu to surprise me. Try their soups, both hot and cold. They do a variety of no-dairy pureed that are wonderful. My favorite main course is usually the fish which they do with interesting mushrooms and sauces.

Visited July 2014
Redmond, Washington
“Not what we expected at all...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I guess our expectations was a bit too high...
We looked forward to our dinner after a long day discovering the area but was disappointed with the quality of the food specially the Foie gras that my husband added to his fish. I have to say the wife of the chef/owner was very nice and provided an excellent service. Not what we expected at all!

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Underwhelmed by Bistro Maison”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We love French Bistros, and try to include them in all our travels. Bistro Maison has a great looking menu, and we had very high hopes that it would be a restaurant highlight of our trip to the Willamette Valley. The setting was just as expected, in a charming small house. I looked forward to eating one of my favorite dishes--cassoulet, a dish requiring a long time for preparation. Mine tasted as if the chef forgot to include bacon or any pork fat at all! for those who know the dish, this is a critical omission. Perhaps because our hopes were so high based on other reviews, but the food really was a let down.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Eugene, Oregon
“Disappointed - didn't want to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We looked through the window of Bistro Maison and read online reviews before thinking - "that's it, that'll be good for a special occasion when we're up in McMinnville". Oh dear. Talk about disappointed - I wish that I could say that the food and experience lived up to the reviews and expectations, but the food was kind of average, the service was catch as catch can. And the prices are NOT average.
I guess for us we would rather take the time to drive into Newberg [Painted Lady] or Dundee [Dundee Bistro] than to revisit. Bistro Maison..that's a testament of sorts. I wish that it wasn't...

• Visited November 2013