“DO-NOT-MISS this!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Port Angeles, Washington
“DO-NOT-MISS this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

See my review posted under "Christmas Eve Dinner Delights!" This little gem is worth an overnight stop in McMinnville just so you can have a meal there. Top notch all the way. Food. Atmosphere. Service.

Port Angeles, Washington
“Christmas Eve Dinner Delights!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Hello travelers. You may be planning your trip to the McMinnville area to sample some of the great Oregon wines, but be SURE to leave a space for an evening out at this charming spot. We made our reservations for Christmas Eve and were delighted with our choice from the minute we set eyes on the place. The Paris born French chef, Jean-Jacques, and his lovely wife Deborah are welcoming and gracious hosts who have an incredible menu that boasts all-from-scratch cooking. My meal choice for that evening began with a butternut and goat cheese tart with a mixed greens salad. The tart pastry was flakey and a perfect foil for the squash cubes and the velvety cheese blend tucked inside. I finally settled on the locally sourced pork and the scalloped potatoes. Heaven. The cheese course was all local cheeses, and perfectly plated. Dessert for me was a bourbon pecan pie with a small scoop of pumpkin ice cream. Deborah choose a delightful wine pairing for each course and managed to be calm, cool and welcoming to all in the midst of a packed house that evening. This is a not to be missed supper spot if you are in the area. I also noticed that many of the local vintners and their families chose this spot as THE place to go for Christmas eve. I give Bistro Maison my highest ratings, and a thank you for a lovely, elegant and unpretentious meal.

Mount Angel, Oregon
“A Happy Birthday Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We took our friends of some 30 yrs to the Bistro Maison today, the day after Christmas, to celebrate their birthdays. (80 @ 75) We were a bit apprehensive as to whether they would enjoy the Bistro Maison. Not to worry, We were treated with friendliness and then good food. The restaurant(in an old home) was beautifully decorated for the season. The food was outstanding; the service great but not rushed. (We took 2.5 hours and enjoyed every minute of it). We had several special requests, which were quickly agreed to. This place is very good, not "stuffy" nor pretentious. Deborah helped at our table and unfortunately we did not get the name of our waitress; but she was also professional and friendly. Four Senior Citizens had a great early afternoon lunch. We hope to be back soon; " A bientot"
Steve and Florence Balog
Mt. Angel, Oregon

McMinnville, Oregon
“Great food and good portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have been fortunate enough to have eaten here several times. The escargot was wonderful, the pork chop was huge and the taste was outstanding! The staff are very nice, and the service is second to none. I am looking forward to our next dinner, hopefully I will not have to wait too long.

McMinnville, Oregon
“Another arrogant French restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Holy crap...the French have had an outpost for years in Oregon and its called Bistro Maison. Are you missing the poor service and arrogance from your last trip to Paris? Don't be worried, the stereotype is alive and well here. The menu hasn't changed in decades, and their finest offerings include overcooked choice steak and frozen scallops. No joke the best item on their menu is... the French Fries! Fried in duck fat, you almost forget how poorly done everything else is. The owner is a tyrant, with no time for the "homme ordinaire", yet puts herself at the head of service. Colder than the Jura Mountains, she lumbers through the restaurant, with only the goal of bringing orders back to her husband the chef. I see why they moved from Paris to Rome to New York to ...finally little old MAC, to run from their undoubtedly poor reputation. Old residents of the area, find comfort in their antics, but save yourself the time and money, AVOID!!!

Visited October 2013
GoodFood, Owner at Bistro Maison, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear TheLastStarFighter,
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We appreciate any constructive feedback that will help us improve.

While I would like to address some of the criticisms you have of our restaurant I do not, however, see any value in addressing what are obviously personal grudges you have against myself and our French “stereotypes”.

Most importantly, I would like to firmly state that we use only the finest meats and seafood available to us. Our scallops are not frozen, but come in fresh daily in the shell. We buy our meats from Carlton Farms, and pride ourselves on supporting local businesses. We also do not use duck fat in our fryer. I am not sure what was done to have you come to such assumptions, but I would like to rectify this.

As I’m sure you’re aware, we have an open door policy for our kitchen. Any night, any guest is welcome to come into our kitchen as you would your own home. We are proud of what we have done here, and embrace the opportunity to show it off. Anyone with any questions as to the freshness or quality of our food is encouraged to come into our kitchen and see for themselves. As I wish you would have done, TheLastStarFighter, so we could have avoided this erroneous review.

Once again, thank you for your review. We work hard every day at making our restaurant the best it can be. We are sad that you did not enjoy our restaurant, but are confident in our consistently good reputation and feel lucky to be a part of the McMinnville community for eleven years.

Deborah Chatelard