“Your base for wine tasting !!!” 4 of 5 stars

McMenamins Hotel Oregon
310 NE Evans Street, McMinnville, OR 97128   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in McMinnville
Eagle, Idaho
“Your base for wine tasting !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have been to hotel Oregon 7 times . We use it as a base to wine taste in the Willamette Valley. While it does not have outdoor firepits like most the other McMenamins , it does have a great roof top bar ( 4 stories high ) Wish it had a soaking pool like the other McMenamins , alass NO !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

What a cool place to stay! Clean, comfy rooms in a hotel full of whimsical artwork and concert posters. Shared showers/restrooms - European-style accommodations. The rooms come with a compliment of the usual toiletries plus toothbrushes and robes. The restrooms are very clean, and spacious enough for you to get around fellow guests. The shower rooms within the restrooms are private with hanging hooks for your bathrobes and your toiletry bag. The rooftop pub has indoor and outdoor seating, great local craft beers and a smiling, good-natured bar-keep that is well known by his many local patrons. Your room has a quart mason jar that you can bring to the restaurant or rooftop pub and fill it with a local craft beer for the cost of a pint glass if purchased at the bar. The artwork in each room reflects the patron name and history of the room. Our room, "Leona", refers to a paddle wheel boat that once plied the nearby Willamette River. the hotel location is in the middle of "Old Town" McMinnville - historic buildings with boutique shops, restaurants and pubs. We loved the whole area. If you are wine-tasting through the area, this is a great place to stay in the middle of the wine country - and just fun!

Room Tip: Room 303 - "Leona" - and rooms along this corridor are directly across from the shower/res...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

If you're looking for the Holiday Inn, this isn't it. This is a somewhat themed, aged hotel with smaller rooms, creaky doors, and just a different overall style than anywhere I've stayed before. Had this been a normal hotel, I probably would've left a 2 or 3, but this hotel stands apart. The aesthetics and character were somewhat refreshing and homey.

Check-in was cramped and slow. But, we had a wedding party checking in, so they were slammed. Their parking garage is a couple of blocks away. A couple of minutes to walk there. The SHARED bathroom room was large. I loved all the historic touches and just the overall aesthetics of the room. The shared bathroom can be annoying though if your neighbor has 3 kids and doesn't ration the bathroom time, or forgets to unlock the door when they're done. But, the shared bathroom wasn't a major ordeal. The PRIVATE bathroom rooms had a spacious bathroom. However, I could almost touch every wall from the bed. But, that's how older style rooms were. Beds and linens were nice. Bathroom was nice. Couldn't really complain about the bedroom...because of the style of hotel this is. As I said, at the Marriott, this wouldn't fly. But, here, it was neat. The small town of McMinnville kind of prepares you for it as you drive into town.

Breakfast was unfortunately slow and, somewhat, overpriced. But, everyone in the party seemed to enjoy it once the food was served.

The ROOFTOP BAR was very cool. This is one of the main reasons we chose to stay here the night after the wedding. We walked up to the top floor and had a cool view from the rooftop. Granted, the building is not that tall. But drinking with friends, outside, on a rooftop bar the night after a wedding was pretty sweet. The food was pretty good too.

All in all, this hotel has features that make up for the modern conveniences we're used to in a hotel. I embraced the change, and the rooftop bar, and really had a great stay for the short time I was here. The staff was nice, and it just felt more like a Bed and Breakfast than a hotel. If I'm ever in McMinnville again, I would definitely stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Private Bathroom, you may get a lot of traffic staying on the top floor because of the Rooftop Bar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Spanish Fork, UT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Ok, it's not Ripley's but that was the feeling I got when I entered this hotel. When my husband booked us in this haunted hotel I decided it was something that I could deal with so I agreed. When we stepped into this three-ring circus I immediately felt uncomfortable. The paintings all over the walls and the decor are beyond tacky! We went up to our room and I felt like I was shutting myself into a closet. I decided there was no way I was going to relax enough to sleep in that place so we picked up and walked out. The sad part is, they told us we could not have out money back unless they were able to rent the room to someone else. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty certain they did not rent the room out on such short notice and this miserable experience cost us $125. I wish I had known how tacky this place was before we booked the room. The pics I saw prior to going there made it look like a cute, quaint old house. I discovered that it was anything but quaint! I will not be making this mistake again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my niece's wedding. Right in the heart of the cute city of McMinnville and full of history, ghost stories, and quirky artwork, it was pretty cool.

The laid back atmosphere is great, but there is a way to do it without sacrificing on service. The employees were fine but completely overworked. They need a lesson from Marriott. Simple guest services and ammenities would make this place a great wine-country getaway. Like good hotel mattresses, full in-room bathrooms, hair dryers and ironing boards, and serious guest servcies training.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an ensuite bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The service at my daughter's wedding reception was horrible. There was no bus service for a wedding party of 70 people. Our guests actually were stacking up plates on the table to make room for the dessert. They ran out of the main course and the salad bowl was the size for a small dinner party. The service people seemed to be put out or helpless and told us, "we're short staffed." Over the weekend the service proved just as bad at the roof top bar, the first floor restaurant. After complaining about a slow breakfast, the manager in the first floor restaurant told us if we didn't like the service we should just leave. Don't disappoint your family with a wedding reception here, don't waste your money here, and definitely don't invite your family from all over the country to spend a weekend at Hotel Oregon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stumbled upon this place while touring wine country. We were going to head to a McMenamins in Portland, but this was much better! Rooftop bar for lunch was great. Food decent, service good. The actual old hotel is really fun to see. Old building, quirky paintings..part of the charm. If near this town, this place is worth a stop.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to McMenamins Hotel Oregon? Share your experiences!