“Perfect getaway at a great value.” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   248 Ocean Rd., PO Box 458, Manzanita, OR 97130   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Manzanita
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Perfect getaway at a great value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

There's no better place than Manzanita. We tried Sunset Surf Motel after reviewing many other options. We couldn't have been happier. It was surprisingly quiet, which I think is do to the proprietor's experience in placing people in the right rooms.
Helpful staff, fair rates and perfect location. I'm looking forward to my next stay already.

Room Tip: The 2nd level rooms have a better view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I really liked the casual atmosphere where dogs were allowed(select rooms). Friendly with families swimming in the heated pool with a great view of the ocean. Kitchenettes in the room with a grocery store down the street with a great selection and stays open late. Also a Co-op, coffee shop, pizza place and bar two blocks away. I almost don't want to give a good review so we can keep this place all to ourselves :)

Lake Oswego, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Sunset Surf was perfect for the end of almost a week at a couple locations on the Oregon Coast. We were able to have a couple meals in as we already had food with us. The room came with everything we needed as we had a kitchenette. We had a freezer, frig, micro, and all the dishes we needed. The room was for four but there was two of us. we had plenty of room.
We enjoyed sitting by the pool. The wind break around the pool did the job and we got to get some sun and minimize the wind. We were reading and still blocked out the 15 kids in the pool the first day. No problem second day.
It's obvious that it has had some upgrading but is a complete shame they did not put windows with small sliders in the bottom of the windows to add to the ventilation. One small window only and it did get really stuffy. We did not ask for a fan.
the view was wonderful. We enjoyed sitting on the front deck outside our room to watch the Sunset. We felt the price was fair for what we got. We definitely would stay again but would take our own quiet fan as we can drive there.

Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The room was clean and quiet. The staff was helpful and friendly. I appreciate being able to bring our dog here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I love Manzanita and decided to take the kids for a mid-week overnight trip. I have stayed in Manzanita many times but chose Sunset Surf for the location and pool. I was so disappointed; if this had been my first time in Manzanita I might never return.

The motel is inexpensive by coast standards, but for $150 i at least expect to be comfortable. My main complaints:
- The front desk staff was rude and impersonal at check-in and checkout. Not even a smile or welcome. They just ran my card and gave me a key, looking very unhappy to be there.
- The room was stuffy with no fan or air. The one window that opened was behind a huge line of curtains, so all drapes would have to BR open to get fresh air. Not very private or safe.
- when I called the front desk to ask about a fan, nobody answered the phone. So I left my kids locked in the room and went to the office and waited for someone to come to the desk. Fortunately I was able to get a box fan.
- The "heated" pool was uncomfortably cold
- I was awoken in the morning by a very loud noise which turned out to be the shower in the room next to us
- the beds were uncomfortable but they had new flat screen TVs....not really my priority at the beach!

Definitely won't stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

What is there not to love about a place that has a 180 degree view right on the beach. You can walk right out the front door and enjoy the sand, boogie board in the waves, sketch, read or just relax. a block away the cute village of Manzanita is right there for shopping, meals, renting beach toys and more great walks. and all for a very reasonable price! the rooms are quiet, very clean, have fireplaces and again amazing view right on the beach. We like to cook most meals in which is very easy, everything you need is there. We have been here three times now and have loved it each time. Can't wait to go back again!!!

Room Tip: upper floor of the "Bud" building is the ticket!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our new favorite place to stay on the Oregon coast! We have been there twice already this Summer! Awesome location, great value, clean rooms and friendly staff! Manzanita is such a fantastic town too!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Sunset Surf Motel? Share your experiences!