For my partner and myself, staying in Madras is a good alternative to Redmond or Bend when the focus of activities centers around Cove Palisades or Smith Rock State Parks. It's also the first "city" you enter after coming over Mt. Hood on Hwy 26 from Portland. Madras is small, cute, and generally less expensive than Redmond or Bend, and there are a small selection of interesting restaurants. So, staying in Madras at the Best Western for us turns out to be a mixed blessing. Our recent two-night stay was our second stay at this property.
First, the disadvantages:
1) The Best Western Madras is an old building. The design dates from a time when motels had open corridors and room windows opened onto those corridors; hence, no privacy unless window shades are closed. It's hard to work around these limitations, but with newer mid-level establishments like Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Comfort/Sleep Inn, etc. (none of which are in Madras) the Best Western Madras Inn faces a higher bar that is tough to meet or exceed. Our room (204) was at the top of the stairs, and in the morning everyone on the second floor going down to the breakfast room on the first floor passed our window. Conversely, in the evening everyone did the same in reverse going to their rooms.
2) The construction around the outdoor pool at the moment is creating a mess, and this will hopefully be finished soon. In the meantime, the property is not pretty.
3) The bed is adequate. Unlike other more "luxurious" establishments, however, you will not want to take this bed home!
1) Location near Crooked River National Grasslands, Cove Palisades and Smith Rock State Parks and within walking distance of several decent restaurants in Madras.
2) The shower in the room is undoubtedly the best feature of the hotel.
3) 24 hour fitness room is very nicely equipped!
4) Complimentary wi-fi is, indeed, quite fast; but, one must log on frequently during a single session.
5) Complimentary breakfast offers a wide range of choices, though items tended to run out quickly. Coffee, however, was weak and needs to be strengthened, especially for Portland tastes.
6) Friendly service. Staff at the front desk were courteous.
At the right price (less than $100 per night with tax) the Best Western Madras can be a decent value. Over that, there are probably better choices for the money in Redmond.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Madras
- Madras Best Western
- Best Western Madras Hotel
- BEST WESTERN Madras Inn Oregon
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Best Western, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your BEST WESTERN Madras Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.