“decent place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Madras
Maryville, Tennessee
“decent place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

booked it as we came into town solely based off of the ratings and reviews here on trip advisor. we got the suite room 219. room was spacious and clean, plenty of towels, it does however need some updates. ac worked just fine, no coffee maker, no hairdryer so bring your own. when you plugged in your own hairdryer all of the lights in front of the mirror dimmed greatly. no eatery on location no real places to sit and eat within walking distance. however those are easily worked around, the manager and staff on duty were more than friendly and helpful. the price for the suite was reasonable even for a Friday night. would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeremy H, Director of Sales at Sonny's Motel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for your review and we are glad that you would stay again. Your suggestions for upgrades have been forwarded to the owners for review. We hope to see you again the next time that you are in Madras

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We spent 2 nights at Sonny's. The room was clean, spacious and very comfortable.
The hostess, Jeannie was most welcoming, helpful and friendly.
Everything worked well in our location with the exception of Wi-fi which was at times
challenging. Likely some of the rooms have better wifi connection.
We would not hesitate to stay there again and highly recommend this accommodation to
anyone travelling that area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jeremy H, Director of Sales at Sonny's Motel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you for your great review. We are glad that the motel and staff provided you with the service that you deserve and we look forward to seeing you time and time again.
Malin, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed at Sonny's on March 24th, 2014. A friend recommended this place. I arrived later than planned and Scotti at the front desk was very helpful. Jeannie, the manager, was also there, and was friendly and helpful. I stayed in room 124. I was surprised at the size of the room, it was very nice. The room was clean, and had a microwave and fridge, a small sofa that could easily seat two, plus a small dining table.

I was actually doing recon for possible future stays, and was quite pleased. I will happily stay again for family gatherings or for work. The internet connection was fine, no problems. The room was quiet, except for the fan on the heating unit. I told the manager about this when I checked out and as I told her, she thanked me for bringing it to her attention and took notes to get it repaired. I asked about other rooms, and Jeannie kindly gave me keys to view other rooms so I would know exactly how they were laid out and which would work best for future stays. If you are traveling with a group or family, there are some suites with two rooms and kitchens.

There is a pet area and plenty of room to walk dogs. Most of the rooms allow pets, so if you are traveling with your animals, there is a very good chance there will be room for you. The pet fee is lower than most places I've stayed, another plus.

The restaurant on the property is closed, but there are others very close by, and stores in town, so it is not an issue to get food quickly. In the morning, there is coffee and continental breakfast available.

Overall, I was quite pleased and do intend to stay here again. I'm not sure what the bad reviewers were talking about, I saw none of the problems they ranted about, and will definitely stay here again when I'm in the area. Big thanks to Jeannie and Scotti, hope to see you soon.

Room Tip: My room did not have coffee so if you want some, just bring your own. The manager told me that som...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed one night at Sonny's. I didn't have any of the problems some other reviewers found, so perhaps this motel is a hit or miss sort of thing. My room was roomy, quiet, clean, the bed firm and comfortable. The breakfast was far too late for me to partake, so I can't speak to that. The advertised 'associated' restaurant is out of business, but there are several within walking distance.

Room Tip: Get the room next to the housekeeper's storeroom-no neighbors.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
jeanbean48, General Manager at Sonny's Motel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your review, we here at Sonny's appreciate all comments in order to better serve our guests.
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Needed to stay in Madras for one night. Kind of a business/pleasure trip sort of thing. We always stay at the Inn at Cross Keys up the road and absolutely love that place, but sadly, they were sold out. We picked the #2 best rated property in town, which was Sonny's Motel. Really big mistake.

Briefly:

- They lost our reservation (made through Expedia). Should have left at that point, but our CC was already charged.
- Dirty (carpet, walls etc...).
- Extremely outdated. Try to find a place to plug in a cell phone charger or laptop. Impossible.
- Loud. Sounded like highway 97 was going through our room.
- Loud. Parking just outside the room. Cars just outside our room, car doors closing, car engines idling, car lights shinning in our room. All night! Very ungood.
- Loud. Heater sounded like it was going to vibrate right off the wall.
- Toilet did not flush correctly.
- WiFi did not work.
- The "included" breakfast was simply pathetic. Actually, gross.

Advice for my fellow Madras travelers. If the Inn at Cross Keys is full, drive to Redmond and avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
skiptomylou_09, General Manager at Sonny's Motel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
This guests reservation that they paid for online through Expedia was not lost by us. We never received the communication necessary for their reservation. Their ordeal did serve a purpose, in that I communicated with the online reservation people and they were faxing to a wrong number. Here at Sonny's we are going through some transitions in working to upgrade our rooms. We are recently under new ownership and are trying to address some much needed updates. We provide a light breakfast that consists of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, quaker instant oatmeal, apples and oranges, white and wheat bread or English muffins for toasting. A TRADITIONAL continental breakfast would be a Danish, coffee and juice. There are restaurants around town for everything else. We are a motor inn type of hotel with parking in front of most rooms, many people like that aspect of our set up, for those who don't, I help to find other options in town. All of us here at Sonny's motel strive towards our guests satisfaction and we appreciate reviews good and bad, but also please let us know while your here how we can make your stay better.
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay! We arrived late, at the end of an 18 hour, 1000 mile motorcycle ride. We were exhausted and it was getting pretty cold outside. When I made the reservation, I said that we would be late and Jeanne was waiting for us at the door. She was very gracious and her kindness was much appreciated. Our room was quite large and even had a Jacuzzi tub! Luxury! It was clean, well maintained, comfortable and very quiet. Best of all, it was inexpensive. We were sorry to have only planned a one night stay. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here in August. We were on a long drive after visiting Bend, Oregon. Bend's accommodations were all booked up! Thank goodness Sonny's Motel was open and had a vacancy. Its an older motel. Its well maintained! The rooms are spacious and with tv's. They have an outdoor. The lady working reception was friendly. She allowed us to have a night swim that seemed magical under the stars. I think there was a continental breakfast but we got up too late to take advantage of it. We managed to get breakfast at a near by gas station that has a cafe. It was a good breakfast, good service.
There's not much around Madras that we could see but if we're there again, we would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonny's Motel? Share your experiences!