“Best position, friendly staff, perfect relaxation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sands Condominiums

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lincoln City
The Sands Condominiums
You added The Sands Condominiums to your Saves list
1525 N.W. Harbor Ave., Lincoln City, OR 97367   |
Brisbane, Australia
“Best position, friendly staff, perfect relaxation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

My husband and I just spent longer than we anticipated at this cosy, beachfront home-away-from-home, because we could not get enough of the magnificent sunsets, the ambiance and the romance of this gem of a place on the Pacific North West coast. The unit was comfortable, tastefully appointed and so well equipped with a library of books and videos and binoculars (for whale watching) provided by the owner/managers, Jeff and Julie. They have thought of everything! It felt like being at home only better! The kitchen was fully equipped with spices and every kitchen utensil you could possibly need. The rooms were spotless and with very comfortable beds. We slept soundly lulled by the sound of the ocean below us. Jeff and Julie could not have been more helpful with suggestions for restaurants and places to visit (check out the nearby light house, sea lions at Newport, the covered bridges and the brewery on the beach!). We were fortunate to have sunshine for most of our stay but the magnificent view is ever-changing - we even enjoyed our one foggy day! Public access to the beach is only one door away and the condos are walking distance from the main road with interesting antique stores, theatre, restaurants etc.It was the perfect spot to unwind and relax before heading home to Australia after a hectic touring holiday of the America west. We will certainly be telling our friends about this amazing holiday destination - Oregon's best kept secret!

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

We stayed in unit 2, it had 3 bedrooms, a large living room, a kitchen that had all the cooking utensils refrig and stove. Our unit had it's own little patio and the view was incredible, right in your face view. Very quiet at night. The manager was so nice, he even carried our luggage in.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are excellent, great view from all of them.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed two days at the Sands with a group of friends. Not meant for a luxury vacation, the Sands is comfy, homey and perfectly located. The Condo (#6) came with all the appliances and utensils for cooking and the beds were comfortable. Bathroom was small but well planned. Manager was helpful!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

For a family reunion, my mother reserved all seven units in The Sands Condomimiums (the manager lives in Unit #5). 45 of us spent four wonderful days there. My immediate family stayed in Unit #1 and enjoyed it thoroughly. The bedrooms were wonderfully cozy, and the beds were quite comfortable. The bath & kitchen were very adequate. The living/dining room was really comfy, too. I loved the decor--so homey and relaxed. The backyard is grassy and has plenty of lawn/deck chairs. (I just wish it had a BBQ grill.) It overlooks the beach and has amazing views up and down the coast. One grassy point near the edge of the embankment is the perfect size for a single chair, maybe two--I enjoyed a breakfast there while taking in the beautiful vista and sounds of the wind & waves.

We took all our evening meals on the back decks and lawn. It proved to be the perfect gathering place. Beach access is incredibly close and convenient, and what a beach it is! The condo even had beach toys to borrow. Parking is easy. I was able to see inside all of the units. Each has great views and its individual charms, but most seemed to have nice flat-screen TVs (we spent very little time watching), movies, books, binoculars for whale watching, etc. The combination of all these little niceties made the stay truly enjoyable. I honestly did not want to leave, but hopefully I can return to The Sands again one day!

Room Tip: Unit #1 has no upstairs "neighbors"
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We found this gem many years ago and have been reluctant to share about it. The value for two and three bedroom oceanfront rooms is unbeatable. They are a little outdated, but these are individually owned condos. Beach access is less than half a block away and lots of dining and shopping is within short walking distance. If you are headed to the casino, you can easily travel the back road all the way there and back and avoid highway 101 completely.

• Stayed February 2014
Dover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

On a tour of the West Coast we stumbled on this great place. The Condos are individually owned and run by a manager. The owner of 4 condos was standing in for her and was so helpful. Our fully fitted room had been refurbished and was a delight. Bright fresh decor with views overlooking the Pacific and its great sandy beach, what else could you want. The sunsets were just amazing. Can't recommend this enough and great value too compared with some of the overpriced units just up the beach. We will back!

Room Tip: Best rooms have direct views/access to Pacific.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillsboro, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I used to go to the Sand's, in fact I have been going there for over 25 years. I loved staying in #4 and #6, but the units have become run down and the beds are very uncomfortable. There is a leaking ceiling in #4 that has been like that for 3 years. Every time I go, I am told it is going to be repaired soon. The owners themselves, Julie and ?? are very very rude and I found them very difficult to deal with. They have had some very nice managers in the past, but none are there very long. I no longer wish to go back, which is sad. The sands used to be a family gathering place for us, and my husband and I would go several times a year, year round. The last time we were there the toaster sparked and started to catch fire, scared us to death. When reported to the manager, I was told that "ya, it's a problem outlet". Seems like that would be something that should be fixed as it is a fire hazard. Most units are very outdated and need repair. The one thing that never changes there is the incredibly beautiful view.
I have since found a different condo complex, nicer with the same rates that actually have nice owners.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
sands2678, Owner at The Sands Condominiums, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
The Sands Condominiums is indeed in need of repairs. Constant, ongoing repairs that any ocean front building, taking on what the ocean has to give day after day, must contend with. The Sands was built in 1942. Buildings of this age have many issues on their own, but add the constant pounding of strong windy (90 - 120 mph) storms and just the nature of ocean front property and of course there will always be issues. But to suggest that nothing is being done is just blatantly wrong. The leak into Unit # 4 has been an issue for a number of years but it is getting less frequent (occasionally during high winds now) year after year as we find and repair the sources of the leaks. The entire top floor of The Sands (Units 6,7,& 8) have received various new windows, doors, insulation, new fixtures, new appliances, new drywall in 6 & 7, new countertops in 7 & 8, new carpeting in 6,7& 8, new cabinets in 7, new beds/mattresses, furniture and HD flat screen TV's in 6,7 & 8. Units 6 & 8 have new large showers and new bathroom fixtures and flooring. On the ground floor, we have remodeled the manager's unit and have made repairs to our laundry room. The owner's of Unit # 1 have repainted and made improvements to their bathroom, adding a round shower and pedestal sink. Unit 1 also has new furniture throughout and a new HD flat screen TV. Unit # 2 has new furniture and a new HD flat screen TV and is stated for more extensive upgrading this fall. The Owner of Unit # 4 has recently repainted and has new furniture. Unit # 3 needs major repairs.

The Sands is a condominium complex and each unit is owned individually and separately. Everything within the walls of each unit is that owner's responsibiliity, so, my neighbor's bad toaster or even her bad outlet is my concern, but I am not the owner of that unit and do not have any authority to make an on-the-spot electrical repair to someone else's property. The owner of that unit is notified of needed repairs and makes the decision on when, how and who will make the repairs inside of their personal property.

When this occurred, I offered the guest a replacement toaster or toaster oven and asked them to use a different outlet for their stay. I believe the casual remark about the bad outlet was while speaking of the ongoing maintenance issues at any coastal property brought on by salt air and its corrosive nature on plugs and switches. They do go out, sometimes unexpectantly, but predictably they will eventually fail. It was not to slight the problem, but to explain the nature of coastal protery.

I felt horribly about this posting when I was alerted to this awful review, but as I thought about what they wrote, I realized that this guest has no idea of what has and is actually happening at The Sands because they only rent the same owner's unit every time they have come to The Sands. If they had rented others they would have seen the extensive upgrades that other owners have made to their units. Most owners of the units at The Sands and our on-site manager work diligently to keepThe Sands in good shape for our guests and ourselves and we frequently go out of our way to assist guests staying in our neighbors units. It is always our goal for our guests to have a carefree stay and we are always happy to do what is in our power to make our guests comfortable and provide what they need for a pleasant stay. But, we are not a new, fancy, modern facility. We are an old, blemished, established, comfortable and well loved little hide-away that may guests have come to love and appreciate.

This guest has valid concerns about their experience, expectations and conditons of the unit they Choose to rent and I 'm sorry that they are disappointed, but they were unfair in their critique of units that they have no knowledge of. As far as my being very very rude, I am sorry that anything I said or did was perceived as being rude, it certainly was not intended that way and I will be careful that I am not perceived that way in the future.

Been to The Sands Condominiums? Share your experiences!