“The worst hotel experience I have ever had” 1 of 5 stars

You added The Edgecliff Motel to your Saves list
The Edgecliff Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3733 SW Hwy 101, Lincoln City, OR 97367   |
Ranked #27 of 36 hotels in Lincoln City
“The worst hotel experience I have ever had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Lied, dishonest, single handedly ruined our vacation. This hotel lost our reservation on a sold out weekend in Lincoln City. They claimed that the matinence man must of taken our reservation and did not write it down. Yay! They then raised the price for the room and tried to put us in a room other than what was promised. The room they put us in was only availible for one night when our original reservation was for two nights. The acomidations were filthy, we found a bug in our bed. Gross. I am not an entomologist so I am not about to claim its origion but it left us uncomfortable ans itchy all night. The bathroom had mold throughout and the paint was lifting away from the wall. This hotel does have a decent view but it is a good hike to get to the water on broken stairs. Needles to.say we chose not to got to the beach from this hotel thus making our beach trip pointless. Chose to stay at this hotel if you would like to spend the weekend frustrated and uncomfortable. It will take an act of god for me and my family to return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
centraloregoncoast, Manager at The Edgecliff Motel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
At check-in, this customer asserted having made a telephone reservation for a 2-room unit with a King-size bed plus a hide-a-bed in the living room. This description does NOT fit any unit on our property! The closest unit fitting that description was our kitchen unit, which the customer did not desire. We had no record of his reservation on file; thus we concluded that his reservation must have been with a motel other than ours. Indeed, it is not uncommon that customers making several comparison-shopping calls get confused about the details of various conversations and their true origin.

Recognizing the customer and children were in a bind during a sold-out Valentine’s Day weekend, the desk clerk offered and showed them the ONLY room available that night. Although we empathize with the customer's position on a sold-out night, we do not feel responsible for the mishaps. Having been compassionate, and having tried to be helpful, unfortunately, makes us now the lightning rod for the customer’s frustration.

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Tigard, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at Edgecliff Motel during the MLK holiday in 2013. I found the rooms clean, updated and very comfortable. The gas fireplace was definitely a plus! Better views are found on the upper level, however, I found the lower just fine. If I wanted to get a better view of the beach I simply drove the five minutes it took to get there :) The staff was very friendly and answered all my questions.

This is not a high dollar motel, but I certainly felt as if I'd spent a bit more. Nice places can be had, but probably not at this price point.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful stay recently at this property. The desk person "Gee" showed us to our room, opened the curtains which revealed a fabulous ocean view, and welcomed us to Lincoln City. We stayed on a weeknight which gave us the lowest rate but the view was worth a million dollars. The room was spotless and had been remodeled to include a gas fireplace, a flat screen tv and pillowtop queen bed. I would recommend this motel for anyone looking for tremendous value for your money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

If you are looking for an affordable, yet quality place to enjoy the seaside in Lincoln City, keep on driving past the congested, touristy heart of town to the southern outskirts where a couple of quaint motels sit perched on the cliff overlooking a lovely and spacious beach.

The office staff are extremely welcoming and friendly and apt to give you special deals during the off-season.

My tidy little one-person, upper-level room couldn't have been cozier with a gas fireplace and a view of the ocean. The windows could open to let in the fresh sea breeze and the sound of waves pounding on the shore below. Just down the steps from the room was a common deck and picnic table where people could enjoy the ocean view and a picnic...or simply relax with a good book.

This motel has a brief downhill walk to the beachfront, so you never have to get in your car to enjoy the ocean.

My only criticism of the room is that it was not well insulated and I could feel air streaming in through the bottom of the door. (But the fireplace took care of that)

As a writer, The Edgecliff was the perfect weekend getaway. I will most definitely return to this best-kept secret that you miss if you stop too soon in the middle of town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed over the past week-end...Not a good place to stay...Upon arrival the room was very cold, no heat on at all...took 4 hours to heat so we could sleep. Bathroom had no heat at all...floor was so cold could not stand on it...Our towels in the morning were wet because of how cold the bathroom was....it also smelled of pee!!!Yuck...No alarm clock...Way too early check out time 11:00 am...When we checked out I preceeded to tell the staff about our room..His comment"Well that's what you get for that kind of money, next time we can have a better room" I said there will be no next time...We paid $90.00 for the room...Also wall paper was peeling off....Sliding glass door would not lock and the screen door was off...Wow no compensation at all...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
centraloregoncoast, General Manager at The Edgecliff Motel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We regret that you had an unsatisfactory stay. We are wondering why you did not notify the front desk (once you realized that the electric heat, secondary to the central furnace did not suffice to warm your room) right away while you "struggled to go to sleep?" Our customer satisfaction policy allows the desk associate to relocate and upgrade an unsatisfied customer. By any rate, we apologize if the clerk's "morning-after" response was less than compassionate and professional. Your description of the response of the desk associate to your comments the next morning is certainly not a reflection of the etiquette training our employees undergo. We will intensify our employee training to address your and our concerns.

We would like to invite you to our accommodation at a substantial discount to prove to you that your recent experience has been an exception; you will be our guest in the section completed in 2007, which we reserve for customers who might be allergic to the tiniest dander residues. Please refer to this invitation when placing your reservation. We hope to see again.

The Edgecliff Management
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We checked in on Friday afternoon for the weekend. The front staff were very pleasant and nice to deal with. They informed me of the things that were happening in Lincoln City that weekend. After checking in, the office person walked me to my room and pointed out highlights of the room.
It had a nice balcony facing the ocean and a gas fireplace. The rooms were very clean and quiet.
It is located is a good spot on the 101. Across the street from the movie theater, and a short drive to Taft and the "Outlet Mall". The big "chain hotels" are nice, but if your looking for a nice quaint getaway, look no further!
For the price, you can not beat it. (We stayed off season)
The one problem is that i wished that i could have stayed longer!
I would recommend this place to all my friends and family for sure!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that faces the ocean and has a fireplace...you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherwood, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a very clean hotel with a wonderful view and the people are very friendly. I enjoy hearing and seeing the ocean, so this was my choice after comparing prices. The other hotels were either more expensive or did not have a view of the ocean. The fireplace in each room is especially enjoyable after a walk on the beach. I have recommended this place and will continue to do so

Room Tip: Ask for one of their new rooms. These have been recently refurbished with alot of new fixtures.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Edgecliff Motel? Share your experiences!