“Long time customer, and very disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chowder, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Sunriver, Oregon
“Long time customer, and very disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I used to live in Lincoln City and ate at the Dory Cove (old Road's End location) as often as possible as I adored their clam chowder and fried oysters. It was a place I always took my visiting family and friends. So, a recent trip to Lincoln City had me salivating for their chowder and oysters. I drove over 20 miles to renew my passion for the Dory Cove from where I was staying. First of all, this place does not even come close to matching the ambiance of their old Road's End location, although I understand it wasn't possible to rebuild at that spot after a fire destroyed that bulding. I had eaten in this location several times before, and found it to be up to its usual excellence on those visits. This time, however, was really disappointing. First of all, I was taken to a side room where nobody else was seated and given a table for 6 even though there were available seats in the main area. I was dining by myself, so don't know if this was the reason. This room had nothing going for it at all, whereas the main area has a bit of charm about it. I ordered the fried oysters and chowder. They may say the chowder is unchanged, but it wasn't. I only ordered a cup, and am really glad I didn't order a bowl. There was way too much bacon and not enough clams. The oysters were, shall we say, "crispy" even though the menu advertised them as "lightly breaded". I had planned to stop here for lunch on my way south the next day, but realized I really don't need to eat here again. The spell has been broken.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Salem, Oregon, United States
“Best Clam Chowder on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have been going to Dory's Cove for over 13 years and we even drive from Salem just to have dinner there. The staff are awesome and above expectation. Sadly the original Dory's burned and they relocated. nevertheless, we still love that place to eat. The clam chowder is our favorite and the reason is that you actually get more clams than potatoes and it's creamy, not watery. We always bring home 2 quarts to enjoy for a few more days. I do want to mention that the last time we were there, sometime in November 2012 we discovered that they no longer served our favorite dish and that is the Sea Food Casserole Ala Victoria, I can only say that it was the best dish in the world, and I hope they really consider putting it back on the menu...

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“not again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went here a few years ago and it was memorably good. Not now. Calamari overcooked and salty. Battered cod in a thick soft tastless coating. Salad was like a bag of greens from the grocery store. Good? The coke and french fries. Oysters were tasty and properly cooked. Redecorated like my grandma's house.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, WA.
“best value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

best value, consistent quality, and the only natural salt reduced fresh clam chowder for miles. They also have hand made tea (not instant) service is great and has been since our first visit in 1984

Visited November 2012
“Management terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Food was cold, manager very rude. Prices are high. I'm a member of a huge corporation and we come to the coast every year for a seminar with aprox 15 to 20 people. With my review of your restaurant, myself and all of my friends will never come here again and will not recommend.
However, Everyone loved the smokehouse and the big bald headed gentleman behind the counter was awesome! His knowledge of the wines coupled with his excellent customer service has made a permanent customer for all of us in years to come.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere