“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Margate, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed with two friends as we were driving down the coast. The room was very clean and to a good standard for the price. Had a great view of the beach and it was quiet being off the main road and at the end of a street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SailorJack O, General Manager at Sailor Jack Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of Sailor Jack! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The sliding door was soooo hard to close and didn't close all the way! The smokers next door could hear everything that went on in our room and we could smell their smoke thanks to the perma gap in our sliding door!

It wasn't any better when they nicely switched to the front of the hotel at our request, because the front door has no weather stripping. There were fleas. When we asked the desk to clean the spa, and they did, it still spit brown goo from the jets. After requesting cleaning supplies and being told they didn't have any, (no wonder there was filth in the jets!) I purchased my own. Spent an hour cleaning the jets, running the system and it still spit brown flakes of greasy goo.

Five days we stayed, five days we told them it was unusable. The fifth day, a worker knocked on the door and we left him to it. Happy to come back six hours later for a bit of spa heaven. What can I say, it was our honeymoon! Nope. Dirty footprints in the shower tub and a used toothpick in the tub. The maid never cleaned despite the sign requesting it.

After we discovered our room hadn't been fixed or cleaned and had been dirtied by the handyman, we decided to leave. We packed up and I dropped off the keycards. When desk guy asked why we were leaving abruptly I told him. He informed me that he would levy a $200 fine against our neighbors for smoking on the deck, and that he was sorry we never told the desk about our problems.

I was astounded. I told him I'd reported it, but nothing had been done, he thought I was over reacting so I showed him the dirty spa jet pictures. He agreed those were icky but that they would have cleaned them if they knew. I corrected him, those pictures were taken AFTER the maid had made the room ready for us and the manager had cleaned the tub a second time.

He was unwilling to reimburse me for the cleaning supplies, the difference in room rates for the spa we couldn't use, the time I spent cleaning or the fact that we were leaving a night early. He was happy to charge the nice neighbors $200 for smoking and to keep our money as well.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review of Sailor Jack. The concerns you raised have been corrected and we hope you will be able to visit us again soon.
Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is excellent value for money in September. I was there on Sept 12th. I had previously stayed at Surftides in Lincoln City (and I reviewed it last year) -- it was very good, but they keep their prices up until October, and only then do they go on winter rates. Sailor Jack has good rates in September [after Labor Day], which suited me fine. Splendid view from 3rd floor.
They have worked on sprucing up this motel and my room was just fine -- a large Queen room up on the 3rd floor with a GREAT view. Coffee maker, fridge and microwave. $59.95 " Manager's Special". What's not to like ? I would rate Surftides slightly better as they have balconies on the upper floors, but they were asking well over $100 for the night of my visit to Lincoln city.

Sailor Jack has a patios-deck for the first floor rooms, but not on the upper floors.
Nice staff -- it was a good spot. Enjoy

Room Tip: 3rd floor has best view, but no elevator, so you have to hike up. If you are healthy & strong...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
SailorJack O, Manager at Sailor Jack Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank You so much for staying with us! We are always pleased to hear from someone who has enjoyed their stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let others know how we did.
Hope to see you again next time. Mike, Director of Op's
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I've have stayed at Sailor Jacks twice in the last 2 mths and both times have been wonderful! My husband and I are going to make this our place to go from now on, and partially because of the amazing managers and their willingness to make us and our dogs happy. Cindy and Stuart were both so nice and funny, they treated us like we were old buddies. We also LOVE the fact that we can take 2 dogs at a time with a minimal fee for them, also that is at the end of a dead end rd so there are places to walk them, and it's nice and quiet. The rooms have beautiful views, the new beds are incredibly comfortable and there are nice flat screen TV's with screens big enough to see from the bed which is great!!! And my husband liked that...ALOT! The rooms were roomy, clean, smelled fresh and extremely well priced considering the gorgeous ocean view, the close beach access and Cindy and Stuart as managers! Thank you Benny for putting in the time and money to make Sailor Jacks an amazing vacation getaway paradise!! In fact, I'll be calling Cindy tomorrow to check some dates for October for a friend, her daughter and I to return for a "Girls Rule!" trip. Can't wait to come back, relax and be treated like friends. Thanks again Cindy & Stuart, you guys rock!! And Gizmo and Congo give you 2 big paws up:)

Room Tip: The rooms with the decks are awesome!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of Sailor Jack! We value our guests' opinions and have made many improvements this year. We are pleased that you had another great experience at Sailor Jack and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Me and my husband and dog stayed at this hotel and it was great. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Our room was a king with a deck and we absolutely loved it. The room was very roomy and clean. Our dog had a blast with us walking on the beach. It is a very nice romantic getaway and we are planning on returning here for our anniversary in october. I have stayed numerous places on the beach and by far I think this hotel is the best value for the money. In the office they also provide a wide selection of dvds for rent and have alot of information on various attractions. The hotel was completely booked so that tells me that they are doing something right. Thank you staff for making our stay fun. We look forward to seeing you in october.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SailorJack O, General Manager at Sailor Jack Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Sailor Jack Motel! We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are continuing to improve the property and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Under new management, very caring and friendly. Best bed we've slept in up and down coast. Awesome view: beach front, and it really is! 42 stairs down to beach. 2nd floor has deck and sauna. We were on the 3rd floor and were able to watch whales, wind surfers, and kites from room. Can't say enough good about the place/staff. Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: If bothered by stairs, request 1st floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SailorJack O, Manager at Sailor Jack Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Hello, Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let others know what you thought of your accomidations here. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are at the coast.
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Let's face it, when I stay at a hotel the first thing to tip me off about the property, is the staff's attitude and willingness to please it's clients. I should have known when I made the reservation this would not be the place for us, However, it being a weekend in the middle of summer, I was in need of a room for the night.
I can't say that we would ever stay here again. While the property had an ok view, it wasn't exactly worth the price.
Upon check in the receptionist was anything but friendly. She gave off a terrible attitude and portrayed that we were more of a nuisances than a paying customer.
Upon arriving in the room, all looked well and fine until You were in there for very long, and then You could see all of the nasties.
The shower had mold, spiders and ants. We didn't even bother calling the front desk as our previous expirience told us she wouldn't be of much help.
This was really a disappointing stay. The location is fabulous but the hospitality, not so much.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SailorJack O, Manager at Sailor Jack Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Hello, First of all thank you for choosing Sailor Jack's for your weekend stay. I am very sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your accomidations. We take pride in making sure our guests are taken care of. The person that helped you when you called and checked-in is no longer part of our team and we hope you will come see us again and give us another chance to have you as our guest and see that you are pleased with your accomidations.

Been to Sailor Jack Ocean Front Motel? Share your experiences!