“Homemade food at a great price!” 5 of 5 stars

(541) 536-5181
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 23 Restaurants in La Pine
Redmond, Oregon
“Homemade food at a great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I am so happy to see Red Rooster come to Redmond!! We used to only be able to get the amazing food when we traveled through La Pine! The owners are wonderful, sweet people and the food taste like my grandmother used to make. Hard to choose between the burger and the sandwiches. Red Rooster is just what Redmond needed!!

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Central Oregon
“If you're in a hurry, don't stop here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Food is OK, but nothing special. Service is SLOW...nol just the server, but slow coming out of the kitchen.

• Visited November 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Palo Alto, California
“I dream about pie from the Red Rooster Coffee House...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

It's been a couple weeks since we stopped at the Red Rooster to pick up a box lunch for our trip down to Crater Lake. On impulse, I got a piece of berry pie. I'm very picky about desserts, but this one looked truly homemade. I'm so glad I tried it before we left, because it was so INCREDIBLY GREAT that I went back in and bought 2 more slices. No sharing this pie! The crust was excellent, flakey and tasty, but the filling elevated this pie to sublime. It was stacked with very slightly sweetened berries, very fresh and very intensely berry-flavored. Most pie filliings are so sweet they don't taste fresh...this was was perfect.

If you like lots of sugar in your pies-- you know who you are-- this might not be your style. If the only way you eat fresh fruit is in jam or in supermarket pastrylike pop-tarts, this is not for you. But if you crave ripe fresh fruit in season from your local farmers market, this pie is for you. It's worth a road trip.

I've had pies, tarts, gallettes from all over the US and Europe, including some memorable restaurants in Italy and France. But this one, with it's incredible, generous and berry-licious filling stands out right on top in my pantheon of pies. I'm thinking about a return trip to Crater Lake soon. The Lake is spectacular, and I'd arrange the trip to allow lots of pie-tasting at Red Rooster before, during and after the other other natural wonders.

PS The sandwiches were good too. The restaurant is cute, obviously the place that locals go for lunch or for coffee and pastry. The service is warm and friendly, but don't expect fast food. Like their sign warns you, this is a small kitchen with a small staff, so real food takes time. Some things are worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere