“Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
Portland, Oregon
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nasty & RUDE is putting it politely when it comes to the staff! This hotel is suppose to be the best in town. The rooms are update but 1 of our 2 rooms had not been vacuumed prior to our arrival. I asked for our 2 rooms to be next to each other as we have 3 children - our 2 daughters were in a room several rooms down the hall. When I explained why I was told, "Tough!" Then they charged up twice for 2 rooms.

• Stayed July 2012
krystie y, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for posting your review. You didn't state if you had prior reservations or not, but we do try our hardest to honor your resquests, but we have been full and can't always do this. I might suggest in the future that you get one of our suites that has a room with 2 queen beds and a hide a bed, as this room sleeps 6 people, this would save you money as you wouldn't have to rent 2 rooms. Again, thank you for posting your comments and I'm sorry you din't enjoy your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We spent one night here while passing thru on the interstate. Reservations made weeks in advance. They seem to be full up on a Saturday night in July. Nevertheless, very quiet, no noise from adjoining rooms, corridors, or outside with the window closed. Breakfast not busy at 7:30 AM, everything well stocked: hot eggs & sausage, make your own waffles, pastries, breads, the usual hotel breakfast; I did miss bagels & cream cheese, hot oatmeal, black tea, so those would be nice additions. The staff at check-in was not especially friendly, but I attribute that to lack of training, perhaps they can learn to smile and say hello. I had made a reservation weeks in advance, asking for a high floor. An earlier reviewer complained about not getting a ground floor room without a reservation, so I had the opposite experience, even tho I had a reservation, with a special request for a high floor(I knew it was not guaranteed, but I had never had that happen before at other brands, so it started me out kind of grumpy). Can't leave the window open at night on the ground floor, to enjoy the cool night air. Speaking of windows, everything was clean and in good repair, but the window could use a good wash. Nice to have a little refrigerator. Good wifi. Nice shower. On the whole, perfectly adequate for one night, no major complaints, just me being grouchy.

Room Tip: Try making the reservation directly thru the hotel instead of on the internet, sometimes you can get...
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for posting your review. It tells us what we're doing right and where we need to improve. I will let the desk clerk/s know that they need to be more friendly. I'm sorry that you didn't get your request of an upstairs room, always call the hotel directly as we do try to make all requests happen, but this isn't always possible. If you are ever in the area, please give us another try. We do have oatmeal on the breakfast bar, sorry no bagles or cream cheese. Again, thank you for posting your comments. Have a great day
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel numerous times and have always found it to be clean and comfortable. Staff is always very helpful. Would definately recomment for either family or business visits.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
krystie y, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. This helps us know what we're doing right, and what we we need to improve on. It looks like you have stayed with us many times, we value your repeated business. I hope you have seen the changes we have made over the last few months with the breakfast. Again, thank you for posting your comments. We hope to see you in the future.
Sandy, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Staying at the Best Western in La Grande was like a bad marriage, We could hardly wait to get out of it. We requested a non-smoking room. Our room, 121 was so “stale smoke saturated” it was like stepping into some cheap bar, the toilet had not been cleaned, the carpet was worn almost thread bare and when I complained to the desk clerk she did not believe me and came down to the room to check it out, she took two steps into the room and grab her nose and backed out. We were then moved to a “better room” 139. We were hungry so we left our suitcases in the new room and went out to dinner, when we returned the window was open (we were on the first floor) so we began checking for what might have been burglarized or if there might be someone hiding in the room, we checked under the bed, in the bathroom, and finally we opened the closet and there was an old large suitcase stashed there, it was about 3ft tall with big wheels, pulling it out we could see it was damaged, in other words it should have been in the dump---which means it was garbage---which means the room had not been cleaned, essentially our room was a dump. We called the front desk and they came and got the suitcase, but not before we had taken a picture of it for evidence. It was very late and we were very tired after a long drive so decided to take our chances that we would not get some disease or bed bugs and started to get ready for bed, the bathroom mirror area was very dim and as we looked up one light bulb was shot out, and then we noticed the light fixture was covered in a coat of heavy dust, the bath room tiles were fifthly, the furniture was stained and worn, this was not a $100 + a night room!!!! The next morning I spoke to the manager about all the issues, she discounted the price a few dollars. The Regional manager happen to be there and I spoke to her, but all she wanted to do was argue. This is a horrible place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
krystie y, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments, it tells us what we're doing right and where we need to improve. I don't feel that anyone argued with you, but listened to your concerns and took care of your needs as soon as you pointed them out. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The Best Western in La Grande is a very good place to stay. We were coming up from Salt Lake on our way to Mount Hood and needed an overnight stop. I am glad we stayed at the Best Western. The room was very clean, spacious, nicely decorated and the staff members were very friendly. The hotel is a 2 story building and the only reason I did not give it a 5 was that it did not have an elevator (which made no difference to me, but might to others) and the continental breakfast that was included was average (which I pretty much expect for hotels anyway). I would recommend this hotel if looking for a place to stay in La Grande!

Room Tip: Request a room on the first floor if you have issues walking your luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
krystie y, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We have recently upgraded our breakfast and have had a lot of good comments about it, so you posting this will really help. We try to ask our guests if they need a downstairs room when they make their reservation and make them aware that we don't have an elevator, as for walk ins, we try to do the same, but sometimes all of our downstairs rooms are gone. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that if you are ever in our area again, you will stay with us. Please do make reservations so we can try to get you downstairs. Again, Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I got snowed in La Grande and had to find a hotel quick. This best western was very ideal and a great find. It soon got completely booked after I arrived. The room was very clean and the customer service was very friendly. There is a pool but considering I got snowed in the last thing on my mind was to go for a swim. The hotel has free internet and the rooms are a good size. Not bad for a hotel in a small town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
krystie y, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. It tells us what we are doing right and where we need to improve. One thing you never know is what the weather is going to be like in Eastern Oregon, so I've learned to always pack my swimming suit!! I hope if you are ever in our area again, you will choose to stay at our hotel, I'm glad that you got here early enough to get a room as we do fill up rather quickly, snow or no snow. As I said, thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor and we hope to see you again
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

When we decided to say our "I Do's" in La Grande (home to our best friends) we needed a home base. The hotel was recommended as "the best" in this town and we weren't disappointed. Debbie at the front desk catered to our every need. She even insured we got a ground floor room to avoid carrying bags up the stairs. The room was clean and spacious and even though it faced the freeway it was surprisingly quiet. The hot tub was clean and hot. The breakfast has been upgraded to include hot items like biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon. A very complete breakfast making this stay a very good bargain. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
krystie y, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
We are so glad you chose La Grande to say " I do " and that you could be close to your friends. Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor as it helps us know what we are doiong right and where we need improve. If you are ever traveling through our area again, we hope that you will stay with us again. We hope that you have a long and happy life together

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Rama Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!