“Fabulous Price...Super Friendly...Will ALWAYS Stay Here!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Royal Motor Inn
1510 Adams Ave, La Grande, OR 97850   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
Seattle
“Fabulous Price...Super Friendly...Will ALWAYS Stay Here!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

I was traveling from Seattle to Twin Falls, ID for a funeral and had no idea where to stop. I was sad and traveling alone, which made my boyfriend uncomfortable. He researched online as I drove and found reviews and pricing for Royal Motor Inn. He called and made a reservation for me after speaking with the owner for a bit. The owner was so kind that he was actually able to assure my protective boyfriend that I was going to be safe...most impressive!! When I finally arrived, I felt totally comfortable and so happy with the choice we made that I stopped again on my way back to Seattle. The rooms are $38 (bottom line), no unnecessary bells and whistles that easily double your rates. Not to mention, the killer restaurant (10 Depot Street) just 4 blocks away.

However, nothing can be perfect, so, just so you're not surprised (or think I'm getting paid for this :): It is a bit noisy; the convenience of main-road access means SOME traffic noise. The TV's are small and a little fuzzy (thank the cable-guy?) and the mattresses are a smidge uncomfortable, at least in the smoking room. But the heat works, the lights work and the FREE internet is super-fast! I think it's well worth trading in the 'ironing boards and hair dryers' on sincere people and cozy lodging!!! I will be staying here for every stop-over in the future.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

I have come to depend on the advice of my fellow travellers on this site ,and once again, they were right on their assessment of the Royal Motor Inn. Clean, quiet, a super deal...I told Ruby, the owner how I found them and said all reviews were positive. She told me the one review about issues with price was due to the person booking for two people and then showing up with four. So, not to get into he said, she said, but, some people are just impossible to please/looking for trouble. I used to work in the hotel industry and I really inspected our room- places that often get neglected ( corners, bathroom tile grouting etc.) were sparkling. I also appreciated that as a woman travelling alone with my children they put us right over the office. And the shower was pure heaven! After driving all day to go in and have this wonderful showerhead pound out the tension in my shoulders was great- and then a heat lamp that actually throws heat! It was almost like a spa treatment! For $55 ( with tax) a night to have a clean, quiet room, that is comfortable, has a tv, microwave , fridge and an awesome shower...can't beat it!

• Liked — clean
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

Just stayed at the Royal Motor Inn on our way from Portland to Boise. I travel for work and stay mostly in triple star hotels. This trip was on my dime so we chose a budget motel. The Royal Motor Inn was as clean as any of my regular motels, the bed was more comfortable than most, the shower was excellent, and the wi-fi was free! Also, there was a microwave and small fridge in the room. Will definitely be staying there again. Don't think we could beat the quality for the price. Plus, the owner was a nice guy. My only complaint is that some smoke from folks smoking on their balcony and the smoking room above did filter in to our room.

Stayed June 2008
Boise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

As other reviews have stated, this in an older facility but very well maintained. The rooms are very clean and it's very convenient to the downtown area. The front desk people are very friendly. I've stayed here at least once a year in the fast five years and have always been pleased. It's the best deal price-wise in La Grande.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Price, & Location
  • Disliked — Nothing Really
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Salem OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Looked at reviews here, and thought I'll give it a shot.

Room was clean, however , they never made my bed all three days???

No ammenities to speak of. No coffee, hair dryer, iron board, small TV, noisy heater, old place.

Cheap, and so so... If your used to newer Best western type places, this place will disapoint.

Overall, I say, go somewhere else...

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — old
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reedsport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

While the least expensive option, reviews we read said it was clean and nicely maintained and everything we read was true. Very nice owner checked us in. Rooms are being redone but were impeccably clean, new bathroom fixtures, new spreads, and beds, recently repainted. Do not be fooled by older exterior appearance. Excellent value--probably underpriced. Walked to restaurant nearby but there was a drive thru steak-burger place we wished we had tried down the street.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Oregon City, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

Called motel directly and was given a rate of $50.00 plus tax for two beds. Great rate, so we booked. Upon arrival, I was charged $60.00 per night because they charge $5.00 for each extra person (when more than 2 people - we have two kids, ages 11 and 16). I was told this was better than motels down the street, because they charge $10.00 per person. (Personally, I don't stay places that charge extra for kids) However, our relatives, who checked in earlier, had 3 people and were given the rate of $50.00, no extra charges. Staff also was heard scolding other customers for using Expedia and not calling them directly because they don't like Expedia, etc.
As far as the room, it was very clean and adequate. Like previous reviewer, if you don't like to hear people walking over you, request a second floor room. To the owner's credit, they did adjust my bill in the end, but not without some further bickering between themselves and confusion with even finding my receipt.
It's not likely that we would stay there again since the rate quoting is so inconsistent.

• Liked — Free Wi Fi Internet
  • Disliked — Staff argued with each other and were inconsistent with their rates
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Royal Motor Inn? Share your experiences!