“As good as Thailand” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Bozeman, Montana
“As good as Thailand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

After living in La Grande and easting at Bangkok East allot, I was excited to eat in Thailand. Traveled all over and ate allot of good food. However Bangkok East is on par with most of the stuff I ate in Thailand. The curries(esp the green and the red) are fantastic, as well as the Pad Thai. We are lucky to have this place in La Grande.

Visited October 2013

Enterprise, Oregon
“Good Pho; nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stopped in for a lunch bowl of beef pho on a cold day and it hit the spot. Only thing lacking was the side dish of fresh bean sprouts, basil, and mint leaves, but the broth and meatballs were solid. Located in the old Foley Station restaurant, the large booths are great and the decor isn't kitschy at all.

Oregon
“New Ownership, New and Better Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The first owner, only had this establishment for less than 6 months. It was plagued with problems because while the food was good, the service sucked. There simply was not enough money to hire enough staff. The stress got to her and she closed soon after opening.

The Chinese Restaurant right next door (Golden Crown) bought it. They even cut an arched doorway connecting the two establishments. The Golden Crown has done very well in our community and has managed to successfully expand services to include a bar, Japanese cuisine, and a sushi bar. They've never had so much business. So they are familiar with and experienced with running a restaurant. They purchased Bangkok East and reopened it.

There will be some changes and it will take some time for them to get the menu as they want it, and they may eventually change the name. But right now, they are keeping the same name, and the menu is very similar if not identical to the original. I'm not positive but the original owner may still be cooking there.

We went on a Saturday night. It was super slow in there. Hopefully, the issues with the past owner that may have driven people away won't last. It may take people time to understand it is under new management.

My husband had the same thing he had last time we went (Pad Thai Noodles with chicken). I had Pad Eggplant (served with rice). Hubby just isn't a very adventurous eater, and anything with remote spice is not his cup of tea. So he liked his well enough, but I realize this isn't a place that really suits his taste. Mine was EXCELLENT! OMG it was good!

Service was EXCELLENT as well. We had more attention from our waitress than we knew what to do with. Food came our very quickly too. I don't know how it compares to a busy night, but it was clear that service will be as important as the food. Both were beyond reproach. Prices ranged around $9-13 for entrees, which is slightly higher than the Chinese/Japanese restaurant attached. Portions are adequate. I didn't go hungry. Portion size at the place next door have gotten smaller as well. Probably a sign of the economic times. Prices inch up, portions inch down. It's still reasonable enough.

I just wanted to be sure I updated my previous review and to let people know that more experienced management/ownership is on board. The food was never the problem.

So connected via an archway, so overflow from one can go to the other, La Grande now has a Japanese/Chinese restaurant connected to a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant all run by the same owners.

Visit again if you were not pleased when it first opened. My food was yummy. If I had one tiny complaint, it would be that I wished they had peeled the eggplant. The eggplant may have been a bit older or of a different variety, but the skin was super tough...almost like having strings of plastic in it. Eggplant skin can be variable like that. Minor issue though.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gladstone, Oregon
“Loved it!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We couldn't believe our luck finding this place! Just in town for one night and I was worried we would get stuck in another steak and potatoes or burger place.
I just wish the Thai place closest to my house was this good! We were seated quickly on a Friday night, service was prompt and very friendly. My husband ordered Thai iced tea and spicy fried rice with prawns, which were both fantastic. Note-our idea of medium spiciness was very, very HOT! One bite of his dish and my nose was running! I ordered a ginger veggie stir fry with vegetables, it was divine. Large portions, we had enough leftovers for lunch the next day. We shared a fried ice cream which was very delicious with coconut ice cream in the center of a crispy shell covered in whipped cream and a cherry. The food was very fresh and flavorful. The atmosphere was much nicer than your average Thai place, an old, historical building with exposed brick wall, antiques, old custom woodwork, lots of comfortable booths. Very comfortable and classy setting. The bill was lower than we would have expected.
It was so memorable that when driving home from Idaho a week later I made a stop in La Grande for lunch and was not dissapointed!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jackson County, OR
“Excellent food. Great find. Highly recommended.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

While wandering though La Grande, OR found a new Thai restaurant. They have been open for about 3 months and I wanted to try something ethnic. Very pleasantly surprised. Service was good (they were even flexible with my requests), food was plentiful and very well seasoned. Thai ice tea was well made. Tofu dish as well as the spicy shrimps were excellent. Of course, had to try the Black Rice dessert. Overall, very good. Would definitely return. Enjoy!
Advice: they are accurate on the spiciness so be forewarned.

• Visited July 2013