“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
Idaho
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Front desk workers were extremely nice and helpful and that is why I gave this hotel two stars. The mattresses were extremely stained, very old and not comfortable at all and one of the mattresses had three boards sticking out of the sides for support. The sheets had hair on them and the carpet needed cleaning. The pool is open 24 hours so I am sure that would be nice for some people. I paid $88 with tax for a double room. I will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
gm.silg, Manager at Americas Best Value Sandman Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments about your visit; We appreciate your review. We apologize for any unsatisfaction that you may have experienced while at our facility. Your comments are taken seriously by our staff. Once again, thank you for taking time to post your review. We hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Crescent, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Front desk clerk talked so fast and mumbled - had to have him repeat every sentence - spilt Icecream and container in room fridge with spoon holding the door open - strange bad smell in the room we never descovered - dirt/stickers/tar on carpet that was never cleaned the 4 long days we spent there - spa jets out of order (for some time it appeared) water pee yellow/green - pool ok - cleaning "guys" looked like the people you lock your door from - told front desk not to clean our room as my children could do a better job - continental breakfast??? give me a break -- had co-workers staying across the street at the 8 and at Best West who gave good reviews!

Room Tip: rooms at Super 8 and Best Western are the best
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your experience. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced while at our establishment. We take all comments seriously and use them to evaluate our services. Again, we appreciate and thank you for your comments. We sincerely hope that we can offer our services to you again in the future.
Prineville, Oregon USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Was not sure what to expect with this property, we were pleasantly surprised the rooms were nice, clean. Coffee pots, fridge and WIFI and a nice indoor pool and spa. We traveled with a large group and heard some disappointing comments on the Lagrande inn that we were initially looking at in the same area.

Room Tip: 118 was great.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
gm.silg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Sandman Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay with our establishment. It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed our amenities. Our entire staff strives to provide an excellent stay for each and every guest and it is rewarding to hear your positive comments. We look forward to seeing you in the future and being able to serve your lodging needs again.
Kennewick, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Convenient, comfortable, clean and roomy. Certainly a very good value for the price. Not the most fantastic breakfast, but again, can't complain for the price. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Book through agent if taking the Eagle Cap Excursion train. 1st floor allows pets. 2nd floor does...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
gm.silg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Sandman Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for posting your review, we appreciate your taking the time to give us your comments.
Our staff works hard to provide you with the best possible accommodations for the most reasonable rates. We appreciate your business and look forward to once again being of service to you during your next visit to the La Grande area.
cherry city, oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I called the Best Western and was greeted by a grimy sounding woman who told me they were sold out. So I called the Sandman and was greeted by a friendly voice confirming they had availability. I booked two rooms for two nights. I was a little nervous as the reviews were all over the place and the name was a little odd to me. We arrived at La Grande and could clearly see the hotel's large sign from I-84. We had an easy check in with a kind staffer (woman with tattoos). We opted to stay on the second floor since the first floor is pet friendly. There was no elevator so something to keep in mind if you have awkward luggage. My room (212) was clean and roomy - your typical business travel hotel room. And what more can you ask for than clean?! About 7:30pm we decided to change our travel plans and were able to cancel our second night with no problems. I didn't notice the highway noise in my room even though we were close to it. We didn't try the continental breakfast - went to Joe and Sugars downtown for a nice local breakfast. And ate at Mamacita's for a lunch and a dinner which I highly recommend. (Request to add this restaurant to Tripadvisor has been made.) I would rate this hotel as good, perhaps a 3.5. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and would recommend to other fellow business travelers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your review. We are happy when you let us know of your satisfaction with our Inn and our staff works to provide you with the most comfortable and updated accommodations possible. We appreciate your business and look forward to being of service to you in the near future.
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

First of all the website photos are totally misleading. Upon arrival and seeing the lobby area we knew we were in trouble. And those fears were confirmed when we entered our room. The furniture is old and mismatched, the bedding should have been retired years ago; tears in the bedspread, pillow were lumpy and the bedding did not look fresh. The room was dirty and my husband and I would not sit on anything. Not sure what could have been hiding in the carpet or mattresses. We decided there was no way we could sleep in this rooom so we returned to the front desk and I told the clerk I was not satisfied, the website is very misleading with their pictures of this property and basically the room was dirty and I wanted a refund for our two nights reservation. He did refund one night, but because we booked one night online and one directly with the hotel, we would have to go online to see about the refund for that night. I must say he was the only positive moment in this unpleasant experience.
I would never recommend this property to anyone (nor would I even thing of staying a their other properties) and beware of what you may see online when searching for accomodations in La Grande. After looking around the area we returned to Boise as I doubt you can find anything suitable in the way of accomodations in that area. Glad to be home after a waste of time for what was supposed to be an anniversary get away; round trip took 6 hours.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your comments we appreciate your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that you my have experienced while staying at our hotel. We take your comments seriously and use them to evaluate our product and services for future renovations and training of our staff when needed. Again we appreciate your comments and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
Redding
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

The shower/toilet area smelled of urine! Ironing board caved in when ironing! Reception desk was not very polite!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Americas Best Value Sandman Inn? Share your experiences!