“A large hotel resort complex on a beautiful golf course, with a spacious, inviting lobby, and very plush, spacious rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Running Y Ranch

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Klamath Falls
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This large, plush hotel resort complex is on a beautiful golf course; with a spacious, inviting lobby, and off the lobby is a very nice restaurant and bar with huge open picture doors leading to the charming terrace patio by the golf course!

While visiting Crater Lake in mid- July, almost all the lodging around the area was occupied. So, my wife and I were lucky to be able to book
3 nights at the Running-Y Golf Resort (Holiday Inn) in Klamath Fall, some 45min drive away!

Our room was quite plush, spacious and very well appointed; the queen size bed very comfortable. The provision of both FIRM and SOFT Pillows was a welcoming feature! The bathroom was very nice and spacious, too. Free WiFi everywhere.

The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful. They gave us directions to various local attractions; helped us with printing out a document, as its business center did NOT have a printer.

In this hotel resort, we enjoyed walking on the trails around its beautiful golf course, where
many kids were having fun biking around, too. We also had the best tasting "Prawns over Pasta" ($18) in its nice restaurant, and enjoyed our happy hour drinks in its comfortable patio overlooking the beautiful golf course. The wait staff was very pleasant, but the kitchen could not keep up with the orders, thus a long wait for food!
- Along the drive to the hotel, there were another restaurant/bar and a market store. Next to the hotel was a large complex of beautiful condos (and timeshare), where there was a very nice pool and spa, which hotel guests could also enjoy. By the way, this gorgeous, relaxing resort was quite popular for fishing activities, too, besides golf!

From here we drove to visit the magnificent Crater Lake (See separate review). It was a nice, 45min scenic drive to Crater Lake. The small town of Klamath Falls
was  only 10min drive from the hotel. The town was rather small and old. We had dinner at one of the two popular Mexican restaurants there, the Palacio. The food was OK, service adequate, nothing special. It seemed to be more popular for parties and music.

We love Running-Y Ranch Resort, and would go back there next time we visit Crater Lake. Based on what we read on TripAdviser about lodging at the Crater Lake complex and in nearby towns, my wife and I would rather stay here at the Running Y.

Peterskis, Aug 2012

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the golf course, especially if you are a Priority Club member.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
David E, General Manager at Running Y Ranch, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Peterskis - Thank you for all of the fabulous feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! We are thrilled you had the opportunity to explore the entire Resort and hope to have you back as our guest in the very near future.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Pacific NW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

To start the Running Y has a fantastic golf course. Top rated and very playable for all handicaps, Arnold Palmer design, loved the course. Unfortunately they closed the restaurant at the golf club so no food except from snack bar as they didn't make enough money to keep it open. Unfortunately the Lodge seems to also have cut back staff and hours on it's restaurant and service was very slow and poor. Menu has few choices and many dirty tables were left uncleared for long periods of time, causing people to wait or leave. Has tables for about 60 inside and 20 outside but only 2 waiters, they just were understaffed.
Front Desk: The reservation was screwed up three times before they got it right and they never could figure out how to email me a conformation until the day I left when they tried to tell me I was checking out a day early. They staff need training.
The hotel is very clean and fresh looking. Very beautiful location and condition. They do have a huge problem with bugs in K Falls, not just the resort the whole town. So if you don't like bugs I would advise going elsewhere.

The pool spa and fitness game sports center is very nice. Pool indoors. A nice place to take the family. Very busy place.

The shuttle service was wonderful, you don't need a car as they will pick you up and take you anywhere, airport, train, golf course, ect. at no charge, and tipping is optional. The drivers were extremely friendly and represent the resort well. Of course the day I flew in the front desk forgot to inform the driver to pick me up at the airport. Luckily for me they did have a driver there to pick up another lady on another flight so i flagged the driver down and got a ride.

I have mixed feelings about this place. I doubt I will return unless I have a golf tournament there in the future. The poor service from the reservations and restaurant staff turned me off. And the large number of empty building on property tell me this place is struggling. A recent bankruptcy and buyout by Holiday Inn has not improved the resort.

But I loved the golf course......

Room Tip: Golf course view rooms on upper floors are best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
terrynreba - Thank you for sharing your experience (both positive and constructive) with us! Your feedback is appreciated an I hope that you will consider us should your travels bring you back to Southern Oregon. I am confident we will exceed your expectations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We really liked the lodge. Staff was friendly and helpful. The golf course is fantastic, a must play. The only negative was the wait for food in the restaurants. Don't get me wrong, the staff was friendly and attentive, but waiting nearly 40 minutes for two salads and two burgers was over the line. Other than that, we'd highly recommend staying here!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MJRinNV - Thank you for the fabulous feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay (and the Golf!)! Your feedback is appreciated an I hope that you will consider us should your travels bring you back to Southern Oregon.

Chables, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Only spend one night as a stop to Crater Lake, but I really enjoy this hotel.

The lobby - bar - terrace are very nice to have a drink and enjoy the landscape.
We had a large room, clean and very quiete. Very friendly staff.

Pool and fitness (even if we didn't used it) looks great (just be aware that the pool is in a building outside the hotel)

Only bad point was the restaurant, waitress where very friendly but it took a lot of time to be served.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Zebul0n- Thank you for the fabulous feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! I agree that the Terrace of the Ruddy Duck is one of the best views on the Resort! We hope to see you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

This was our first time here. We combined business with pleasure. The lodge room was very nice with a little patio and nice view this was a platinum upgrade and our best buddy Max the golden retriever was welcomed. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Food was good. The empty shops are a bit disconcerting. We'll be back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
David S - Thank you for the fabulous feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you (and Max!) back soon.

san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Look, first it is not an expensive hotel. So get the 4-5 star thing out of mind. But the weird thing is that it could be so easily. Beautiful setting, the lobby and restaurant bar have the lodge look with vaulted ceiling, leather and wood furniture and rock, stone floors and fireplace. Rooms quite nice as well. Then comes executing a 4-5 star hotel. Thats where it drops off precipitously. Since the hotel is so far from town, you are left to the services in house. The restaurant fare was lifted from the Portland airport, 10years ago. Soggy over dressed salads, pizzas that you would expect from Safeway, and the dullest hamburger ever made. Then for breakfast, the only option is a $9 all you can eat spread reminiscent of the free version in the lobby of your local Best Western. Probably the poorest trained staff you will see in an otherwise nice place. These kids were hired out of Wendy's, given a name tag and put on the floor.

Bottom line; they did the hard part, but there is an amateur running the show here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
sfkjeld - Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Your feedback is appreciated an I hope that you will consider us should your travels bring you back to Southern Oregon. I am confident we will exceed your expectations.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The house keeping service was below anything I ever experienced with this chain of hotels. Stayed for 2 nights. When we arrived our rooms were clean and spatious. No remarks. After a day trip are room was not cleaned. We only get fresh towels. No new soap or shower gel, beds weren't made up, room wasn't cleaned. For the rest the service was excellent, very kids friendly, very nice staff. Only thing next to house keeping is the lack of acknowledgement of being a Platinum Ambassador member. Aside from 1000 bonus points I didn't get anything. When checking in they told me I got a nice room with view on the Golf court - indeed that was the one I booked and paid for. No upgrades or complimentary stuff. You don't feel rewarded like you would normally get at Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza's. These are a few area's of improvement for an otherwise very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2012
Maarten V - Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Your feedback is appreciated an I hope that you will consider us should your travels bring you back to Southern Oregon. I am confident we will exceed your expectations.

David

Been to Running Y Ranch? Share your experiences!