“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We always look for vintage hotels during our road trips, and this one turned out to be very nice. Even though it was a busy street, the room was quiet and comfortable and we enjoyed our night here. There was a parking lot in the back so parking was easy. The breakfast in the restaurant was really fantastic. Everything was fresh and perfect with attentive service. We only had one complaint/suggestion that would have made our experience at the inn more pleasant. We are used to having some kind of snack or beverage provided in the evening, especially in nicer hotels and where there is no fridge/microwave available in the room. There was nothing here at all...no tea, no coffee, no cookies, not even a bottle of water. We were told that there would at least be coffee/tea in the hallway early in the morning. When we went to get a cup of tea at the scheduled time, the water in the thermos was barely warm so the tea bag did not brew at all. (I can't say whether the coffee was good since neither of us are coffee-drinkers). So the lack of snacks in the evening and tepid water in the morning were disappointments. Otherwise, we had a very nice stay at this inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SadieJville, Owner at Jacksonville Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
TRIP ADVISOR- "VERY NICE STAY"- RESPONSE

Apologies are extended for not having hot water available for the guests' morning tea. This error apparently occurred because the insulated containers that store the tea water were not adequately pre-warmed. In the 37 years that we have owned The Inn, this is the first time we have ever encountered a problem: and we will certainly make every effort to be sure of never having a re-occurrence. Along with morning tea and coffee, our guests can also enjoy complimentary freshly baked, Inn-made Biscotti.

Since the Jacksonville Inn is a historic property built in 1861, we endeavor to conceal the modern conveniences that customer's desire. Each room has a refrigerator that is concealed in an antique-replicated cabinet. It is likely the guest did not open the cabinet to find the refrigerator. In a similar situation, a few years ago, we had a departing guest express disappointment that the room did not have a television. In fact, the TV was in a concealed cabinet just like refrigerator.

Since we have a wine and gift shop on site that is stocked with snacks, we have always assumed that this availability would suffice for afternoon snacks. The Inn serves lunch at 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. and we begin serving meals in the Bistro Dining Room at 4 p.m.We also have four cottages that have refrigerators and microwaves as well as honor bars that are stocked with beverages and snacks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Valley Stream, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I am from New York and I wanted to surprise my sister, who lives in Oregon, a surprise "70TH BIRTHDAY". Did a little research and found the Jacksonville Inn. Read the reviews and I was impressed. But you never know. Like I said "I'm from New York."
Spoke to Planton who is in charge of catering and that made my decision. Booked the rooms and had the surprise party right there in the restaurant...So convenient.
The food was out of this world for the party. Breakfast was included every morning in the dining room with a full menu, delicious...Outside my room every morning was tea, coffee, biscuits and the news paper.
The Service was so professional and friendly from the moment that we checked in.
We had two servers. Micah from breakfast to early evening. Whatever we needed, he was right there with a big smile... For the surprise party, which was 20 of us, Cody was our server plus. He handled everything from cocktails to dinner and desert and always with a friendly smile. They all became part of our family.
I WILL PROBABLY HAVE A FAMILY REUNION NEXT YEAR AT THE JACKSONVILLE INN.

The location is great...wineries, Crater Lake, Rogue River and so much more. You can plan a day trip every day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Busy little town, with shops in abundance and lots of bars, restaurants and wine tasting establishments. Has a real gold rush feel about it and the Main Street has retained it's authentic look. Jacksonville Inn is a quaint inn. Seems to have lots of rooms and lots of stairs! Our room was rather small (2) - we had booked one which we thought to be larger (3) since we were touring for two weeks and had luggage. Unfortunately room 3 turned out to be unavailable. Small Queen bed, which was comfortable and excellent spacious bathroom. Breakfast in one of the restaurants downstairs was excellent and the young server,cold not do enough to please. We ate in the Bistro which is either outside or in a sort of basement. Clearly popular with locals, but we found it rather dark. Huge menu. What we had was acceptable. Helpful and attentive service throughout. Fortunately the owner/manager assisted us with our luggage otherwise three flights of stairs would have been a struggle. Tea and Coffee available on the landing in the mornings.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I went to the Chris Isaak (uber swoon) concert at the Britt. We were able to check in early and got great info for entry to the venue, which is within easy walking distance of the Jacksonville Inn. After the show (still swooning) we wandered back and had a light dinner out on the covered patio. The service, food and atmosphere were wonderful.
Our room was cozy, with the old brick walls and large modern bathroom. We had a relaxing breakfast out on the patio again; the service, food and atmosphere incredible.
We look forward to making the Jacksonville Inn a part of our pilgrimage to see Chris Isaak at the Britt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed for our 12th anniversary in room 5. Stayed in room 1 on our wedding night. Plan on staying in different rooms in the future. But we loved the hottub in room 1.Located in historic Jacksonville, we no longer hear log trucks rolling through town. A fond reminder of days gone past.

• Stayed August 2013
Concord, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I recently travelled to Washington from California, and broke up the trip by staying at several inns along the way. We could have stayed in Ashland or Merlin, but chose the Jacksonville Inn because we'd had such a nice time there in 2006. Well, our expectations were more than met. The Inn is lovely, historic with antiques, historic photographs, yet updated for the travelers' perfect comfort. As important, the entire staff, from the hotel manager to every wait staff member we encountered, were personable, friendly, and dedicated to providing excellent service. I look forward to travelling north again next year. We will definitely be staying at the Jacksonville Inn!

Room Tip: We peeked in several rooms; they were all lovely. We stayed in a room that looked down upon the mai...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I grew up in and around Jacksonville, Oregon (now live in New York City). And in interest of full disclosure I spent most of my high school years (early 90's) bussing, hosting and waiting tables at the Jacksonville Inn. And even after all those years - there is not a single time I have been back to visit my parents that we have not gone to the Jacksonville Inn.

As a customer, I know the food and service is going to be stellar! As a former employee, I know that Jerry Evans (owner) expects nothing less than perfection from his kitchen and staff. It is without question the finest dining experience in the area. If you are visiting Southern Oregon you would be remiss not visit this historic landmark and winner of multiple fine dining awards. It is also worth noting that a president or two has dined here.

The Inn offers a variety of options for dining depending on the occasion – the main dining room offers the most elegant and romantic dining experience. The Bistro area offers a more casual experience – however that does not mean there is any less effort put into the quality of food or service (many of the dining room options are available on the Bistro Menu). And this is most often where my family and I go to indulge. And if you want to dine outside – there is always the patio area that offers a nice oasis complete with fountain and heating lamps should it get cold.
While I have never stayed at the B&B part of the Inn – I do know if I were coming to town and didn’t have a place to stay – it would be the first, any quite possibly, only place I’d think of booking.

As for my favorite Items on the menu: ALL OF THEM – Seriously, I keep track of what I had last time so I know on my next visit what to have. You cannot go wrong with anything you order, I promise, but if I had to narrow it down:
Appetizer:
•Seafood Fettuccini
•Petrale Sole
Dessert:
•Raspberry Hazelnut Meringue
•If you are only going once the must have is the Marionberry Strudel wrapped in phyllo dough topped with Frangelico custard sauce.

You cannot go wrong when visiting the Jacksonville Inn. If you are in Ashland or Medford, it is well worth the quick drive to both visit this amazing little historic town and treat yourself to some of the finest food in all of Southern Oregon. I was just home just two weekends ago (I personally, had the patrale sole). And last weekend I made their lentil soup - it's what I'm having for lunch today. Bon Appetite!

Room Tip: You can definitely find a room that best suits your needs - or a cottage, if you prefer a more seclu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jacksonville Inn? Share your experiences!