“Great lunch in an idyllic setting” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Northern California
“Great lunch in an idyllic setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This lovely restaurant is really the only "real restaurant" between Crater Lake west entrance and Roseburg on the North Umpqua Highway, #138. We stopped, wondering what kind of food and quality we could possiby find in such an out-of-the-way place. It is just adorable. It is simply yet beautifully decorated and even has a glass enclosed back room/porch that allows you to look out the back at the Rogue River and beautifully landscaped garden. It would be a great place to hold a small wedding or party.

Since I am rather picky and do not eat food that is high in fat, salt, or eat red meat and I prefer whole grains rather than white foods, I wasn't certain I could find anything I would be willing to order. The menu was overwhelmingly sandwiches at lunch. However, we did notice they had mushroom raviolis with roasted red pepper and basil sauce. After checking that the sauce was not cream-based, we decided to order it. It was perfect. There were about 6 or 8 large raviolis in an oval casseole dish covered with plenty of pesto roasted red pepper sauce and lightly sprinkled with parmesan cheese. The peppers were cut into small bite-sized pieces so you could really taste them. We were later told the raviolis had just been made that morning in their kitchen. Additionally, it came with a good-sized portion of green salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, small tomato pieces, carrots, celery, etc., and your choice of dressing. Lastly, a piece of homemade wheat bread which was made into garlic bread was included. It was delicious. We really did not expect such a good-tasting lunch as such a small local place but will definitely eat here again next time we pass by.

I do think they should have some different and more creative sandwiches than they currently offer. Most sound gigantic and are heavy with meats - especially red meats. It was not clear from the menu that bread other than white bread was available but I am sure they would make your sandwich on anything they have in the house.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Aurora, Colorado
“Just like Mom's only better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We enjoy going to the Steamboat Inn for breakfast and dinner. All of their food is wonderful. We enjoyed the reserved dinner, starting with appetizers in the library. Still would love to have the recipe for the pork! We go here every time we are in the area.

Visited June 2013
Roseburg, OR
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very nice area, beautiful scenery and flowers in the spring and summer. I've had lunch here a couple of times and the food was very good. Would love to go up and just rent a room, listen to the river run by and read a good book!

Whitbourne
“Ummmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

When booking dinner, had been asked about dietary restrictions....and these had been fully adhered to.
Dinner, at 33 dollars, starts in the library..choice of apple cider, Yamhill pinot grigio...or pinot noir...with appetisers...(we had a type of vegetarian rosti with a thai style sweet chilli sauce).There was also a meaty appetiser but as I'm trying to be vegetarian, I did not pay any attention to this...As a single girl, travelling on my own, there were plenty of people to talk to, and immediately felt at ease. I met Barry and Gerry from London, 2 doctors, and Caroline, one of the doctor' s wives.
The entree, in the dining room, included a set dinner of teriyaki salmon, spinach sauteed with garlic, a vegetable roulade (including courgettes), red and white quinoa, spaghetti squash. I normally skip dessert but dinner had been so good, I didn't. Fantastic apple tart tartin style. It was beautiful food, very tasty and excellent;y executed...I wanted to take the chef home, it was so good!! The dinner party continued the party in my cabin, and enjoyed the conversation so much, we met for breakfast at 9am!
My biggest regret was that I could not spend more time there...the next trip can't come soon enough.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belleville, Illinois
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Steamboat In serves breakfast and lunch regularly, but dinner needs a reservation. For $50 per person, you will have appetizer and wine in the library with other guests first, and then proceed to dinning room for the dinner. The dinner menus changes daily. Guests sit together around 6-10 people tables. We had a very fresh salad, tender and tasty lamb chop, and a surprise desert with a piece of honey bacon on the top. Everything was wonderful!

• Visited September 2012