“some renovation, but cleanliness is so-so” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Prater's Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hood River
Prater's Motel
You added Prater's Motel to your Saves list
1306 Oak St, Hood River, OR   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
usa
“some renovation, but cleanliness is so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Small facility ideally located in Hood River. The town is sophisticated and offers a great spot along the Columbia.
It's clear that the owner performed several renovations and made a good effort; however, the manager is performing only cursory cleaning. I had to clean the microwave, refrigerator, tv and bathroom floor prior to daring to bring my items into the room. The price with tax was low $43/night but it is February so not unexpected. I would suggest that the owner do snap inspections to ensure that her manager does what she's paid to do.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vancouver, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Praters for our Anniversary and were extremely disappointed. The price was equal to nicer motels in the area (80 per night). The room was extremely small, there were bugs (we think fleas), broken shower and smelled awful. I honestly felt dirtier after my shower (be sure to bring your own shampoos and soaps, they provide none). I don't believe this property is up to code. I have stayed in dives all over the country and this is by far the worst. It would be acceptable for 35 dollars a night, but not 80. I would advise camping before staying here. Also, I must mention, I stayed here a few years ago and had a much different experience. It is now under new ownership and I will say they are nice people, but they have no business operating a motel property.

Very disappointing.

P.S. I'll be sure to add photos when we get home.

• Liked — View of the mountain
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

This place looks kinda cute from the outside, but inside it's pretty much what you'd expect for a $60 room so close to downtown Hood River.
Prater's is a small 7-room motel just outside of the downtown core about a 5 block walk to the edge of where all the restaurants and shops are. It's an easy walk through a nice neighborhood. The room included a fridge, microwave, and cable TV. As with most unremodeled buildings of the period, the sink is in the main room and there is no sink in the small bathroom. There is no bathroom fan or window, so it's a little musty. Therefore the walk-in shower had some mold. There were small piles of dust and dirt in the corners of the room, but other than that it seemed to be relatively clean.
There is a pretty amazing view of the Columbia River and Mt. Adams from the picture window. Unlike other places in Hood River, we couldn't hear the trains.
I think $60 is about right for this place. The room was about the same size or bigger than ones I've had at the Hood River Hotel and the Oak Street Hotel, but half the price. I probably wouldn't want to stay here with my wife and baby, but this time around I was just in town for a brewery tour with a friend so it was fine.

• Liked — view, location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We made a reservation at Prater's 2 and a half months before our trip for a friend's wedding and when we got there they had canceled our reservation, leaving us totally stranded. They did the same to our friends and to another couple that had arrived at the same time as us. The front desk was locked and we had to call the emergency number on the door for service. The lady on the phone was totally flustered and didn't apologize or anything. She was totally unhelpful and rude! Beware! The same thing might happen to you!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Blacksburg, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

I have a similar story. I made reservations in May (if not earlier) for a friend's wedding on the first weekend of August. When I called to re-confirm on the day before the wedding they said they didn't have my reservation. Apparently there was a change in ownership about a month ago. The lady claimed that they had retained all of the reservations under the previous owner, but somehow mine was lost. She was somewhat helpful in trying to find us a replacement room, but the one she found was 20 miles away in The Dalles. I ended up finding another one on my own in a hotel two miles down the street from Praters.

Stayed August 2007
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

I'm one of the friends of katymck, who was supposed to stay here to attend her wedding. After losing our first reservation, Prater's gave us a deal on their 3-bedroom vacation rental (3 of us were to meet up there). I confirmed a month before, as well as 3 days before, and everything was normal.

The DAY BEFORE the three of us were to fly across the country and meet up, I get a call that she's moved us all into a single motel room because it became available. They tell me that the only reason we got the vacation rental is because there were no motel rooms available. Be that as it may, I told them that they gave us a deal on the vacation rental and since we planned around it, it wasn't an acceptable change for the three of us to squeeze into a single motel room. The woman I'm talking to hangs up on me. Then she calls back ten minutes later and says she can't understand my position. I tell her we're not prepared to change our reservation. She reiterates that the only reason we got the vacation rental is because there weren't any motel rooms. I correct her and say that the reason we got the vacation rental is because they lost our reservation to begin with.

She thinks I'm being rude, decides this is reason enough to CANCEL our reservation, and hangs up on me. I have never dealt with a more unprofessional business. If I could give them a negative rating, I'd do it faster than you can subtract. DO NOT STAY HERE!! You'll probably end up regretting it.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I had reserved 3 rooms at Prater's for some friends of mine who were coming to my wedding in August. I reserved the rooms in February, and when I called in June to re-confirm, they had lost my reservation. They finally found it, but it had been wrongly put in as a reservation for three weeks after the date I had reserved the rooms for!

Prater's made up for it by finding me 3 rooms at a nearby hotel, luckily, but one of them was a smoking room. At least we were able to replace those 3 rooms.

After this incident, I called my fiancee and warned him to check on his reservation - he had reserved another 4 rooms at Prater's for his old college friends. Sure enough, they had completely lost his reservation and had no record of it. This was the third time he had called to confirm, and the previous times they had still had his reservation. Who knows what happened, but now we have to find 4 more rooms around Hood River at a time when they are almost all (if not all) booked.

Just to clarify, we had NOT made a room block reservation for our wedding. I know that hotels will only keep these blocks for a certain amount of time, and then drop them if they aren't filled. Instead, we had made personal reservations on our credit card and our names, NOT for a wedding block. We had made our reservations at different times under different names, and they just happened to lose both of our reservations.

The location is great, and the prices seemed affordable, but if you make reservations just keep in mind that you may end up sleeping in your car!

Been to Prater's Motel? Share your experiences!