“Cheap, with a view. Don't expect much more.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Prater's Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hood River
Prater's Motel
You added Prater's Motel to your Saves list
1306 Oak St, Hood River, OR   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Cheap, with a view. Don't expect much more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

It's a basic roadside motel (think the glory if the 50's and 60') not too clean, not too dirty. Amazing view of Mount Hood from the room. Sink in the room (over carpet :-(. Dark shower and toilet in separate room. Friendly and helpful residential manager (owner?)
Great breakfast/lunch restaurant across the corner (also with great view)!
Fridge in room. Newer flat screen television.

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Geraldton, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled on this cool motel. Awesome river view. We loved the location. Suited us budget travelers for two nights while enjoying Hood River. We had two double beds. Two adults and two kids. Easy walk to town. Breaky across the road.

• Stayed August 2013
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm glad I did not read the reviews before going to this hotel because that would have definitely changed our mind about staying there so first off, I will say the management has definitely changed. There is absolutely no drunks or naked people there, I am sorry for anyone that had to experience that. Second, we went on a little adventure with our dog through the gorge and the night got the best of us so we grabbed the first hotel we saw that allowed pets. The price was unbelievable - 69.95 including pet fee. I called another hotel on the way just to get a ballpark and they were trying to charge us 135.00 in the middle of dead winter. The front desk girl is very friendly and knows her way around. Our room was really clean and warm. They have a flat screen with full cable which I don't expect hotels to have so that was a surprise and when we opened the drapes, we had a full view of the gorge and mountains. That, we were definitely not expecting and looking at other "river view" hotels, they charge over 150.00 just for something that Prater's doesn't even advertise. It's just a plus for booking with them. We had a clean, warm room, bathroom, fridge, microwave, everything we needed. I highly recommend this place and I hope that with the new management, business comes back to this wonderful family that took over and brought a beautiful little place back to life. Let's ignore these past bad reviews and help them out :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tonasket, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I based my stay on the price and location (fairly inexpensive and not too far away from downtown). I probably should have found another place. It is run-down with my room needing everything from new flooring to drapes to linens.
Yeah, it was a few bucks less than some of the competition, but I'll be for a few dollars more I would have been much happier.
Thankfully there's a nice place for breakfast across the street (Egg Harbor Cafe).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Yakima, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

What a nice, clean hotel that takes dogs!! I had just totalled my car on I 84, and needed a place to stay the night. The family that ran the place could not have been nicer, letting me borrow their phone numerous times (mine was trashed in the river) and making contacts to get back to my home in WA. The place was clean, warm and I felt safe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I'm Kristen and I came up from Santa Cruz , California a couple months ago, to visit some friends in Hood River. I ran across Prater's Motel, and i'd have to say i couldn't be any happier about my stay! Plus the price was certainly RIGHT! Not to mention how friendly the staff was, they were really curtious about every thing, and they had clean rooms as well. I've ran across comments and have seen that they are anything but positive, but i really couldn't complain at all about my stay there. I thought it was fantastic and the view of the mountain and the river was so beautiful! I was discussing with the woman how they've been under new ownership for a little while and i'd say if you were hesitant about staying at Prater's before, DON'T BE NOW. Give them another shot!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We give it an average rating assuming that friendly service and clean rooms are in fact average-or should be anyway.
Our stay was surprisingly quiet, since the motel sits right on the Hwy. The A/C was old but efficient and just loud enough to drown out the bit of noise that might have peeped through-mostly the old timers sitting out front.
The decor was dated and unmatched, but not something we insist upon most of the time. Our room had the smallest bathroom ever, but again, it was sufficient- and clean- and the room was surprisingly equipped with a small fridge and microwave and a comfy bed. The price was right and there was a view of the Columbia. And the staff WAS friendly-which seems to be getting less and less common.
Oh, bring your safety pins or hair clips...the curtains don't quite meet in the middle! lol.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Prater's Motel? Share your experiences!