“A friendly wine tasting experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 35 Activities in Hood River
Type: Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Franco Marchesi's passion for wine began in his hometown of Borgosesia, Peimonte, Italy. As a child he always wondered what it would be like to be a winemaker like his grandfather Achille. After running his own import company specializing in Italian wines for over 20 years, Franco began planting his favorite Northern Italian grapes in Hood River, where the climate and soil are just like Northern Italy. Please come visit, and taste our wines. Salute!
nearest winery
“A friendly wine tasting experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011 via mobile

The before mentioned reviews really say it all. I really wanted to add that this was the best wine tasting experience we have ever had. It seems that a lot of winery owners are so pretentiuos. The owners and staff of Marchesi know that drinking wine is supposed to be a fun thing! So, a fun atmosphere with great wine makes this our favorite stop.

Portland, Oregon
“It's why I go to Hood River.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

If I remember right, we found this place while Googling different wineries in Hood River but even if we hadn't, a shop keeper downtown directed us there and even called upon the approval of some nearby customers.

The vineyards are across the street from a school on Belmont, just a little bit out of downtown Hood River. You'll pull around back to find a nice outdoor patio and indoor tasting room. Greetings are immediate and I felt as if there was little to no awkward period of, "Hi.. I'm... and we're here to...." They get right to it and act as if they've known you for years while doing so.

A tasting will run you $5. Five whole dollars will include about 6-8 wines and a plate of baguette, salami and cheese. Hell of a deal. I recognize this next part is completely subjective, but I've tried a hell of a lot of wines and I can tell you that by tasting number three, I asked for a club sign-up form. That's a bold move, I know, but there is something about their flavor that is unreal to my taste buds. It's not often that I like everything a winery makes. Here, I do.

So the club... Club Paesano. It's $160 (or $165?) for six bottles of wine every six months. If you elect to have your wine shipped to you, you get six. If you come out to the winery to pick it up, you get a seventh bottle of wine, or a bottle of olive oil. They also do a wine maker's dinner celebration for the release of the wines including as much wine as you can drink without falling asleep at the table, paired with seemingly unending courses of incredible, authentic Italian cuisine. Yes, please.

Throughout the year they also host BBQ's on their property with local businesses in Hood River supplying the eats. They email out menus ahead of time so you can start salivating early. Tastings are free after you've become a member, making this a must-stop on every Hood River trip to come. I forgot to mention, you cannot get these wines in stores. They're extremely small batch.

As for the owner, my grandpa is pushing 90 now, but back in his prime he reminded me quite a lot of Franco Marchesi. It helps they hail from the same culture - their mannerisms almost spot on. Franco is a really, really nice and laid back guy. His fiance Sandy also helps out and is -incredibly- accommodating. She loves getting to know the people that come in, no matter how much or little they stop by.

Now for some jealousy... Marchesi Vineyards just announced their first annual Marchesi Vineyards Goes To Italy Tour for 2012 and we're confirmed (YES YES YES YES YES YES YES). Since Franco is from Piemonte and has quite the history there, his wine maker friends are rolling out the red carpets for 17 couples to see a side of Italy not often experienced by tourists. From Milan to Gattinara, Asti, Cinqueterre, Langhirano, Fratta Terme, Ravenna, Bagnacavallo, Tuscany, San Gimignano, Montepulciano, Siena then flying home from Rome.

May cannot get here fast enough and neither can the next visit to what is undoubtedly my favorite winery of all time.

Visited September 2011
Kansas City, Missouri
5 attraction reviews
“My new favorite vineyard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Marchesi Vineyard is beautiful and the wine is delcious. There is a large patio which you can sit outside and enough the wonderful views of Hood River and enjoy your wine and meat and cheese platter. My favorit wines are teh Sangiovese, Valentino, Pinot Noir and Barbera. Marchesi stays open until 6:30pm and they waive the $5 tasting fee wiht bottle purchase. Great last stop on the Hood River Fruit Loop.

Visited July 2011
Portland, Oregon
“A slice of Italy in Hood River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I was in Hood River specifically for wine tasting, and Marchesi Vineyards was a great find! I'd already been tasting at another vineyard with marginal wines, and when I came to Marchesi, it was like coming home. The wines are exceptional, and Franco and Sandy made me feel right at home. The tasting room is small, but includes a generous outside seating area with beautiful views of the Gorge. I plan to return frequently!

Visited July 2011
Vancouver
41 attraction reviews
“Exceptional robust Italian wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

If you are looking for a delightful experience, you must seek out this terrific winery. Hood River's scenery is awesome from any direction, but this setting has terrific views of Mt Adams from the tasting room where they’re a several tables outside. Franco and his lovely wife, Sandy, understand how to delight their guests. This summer often finds them coupled with BBQ offerings. Their Club Paesano offers two distributions annually along with a wine paired diner, which we attend recently. The menu was superb as were the plentiful servings of wine. The whole affair witnessed the live Italian music. I have sampled most of the wines in this region. These wines are the top of the vineyard. Franco has a long history with wines from his family through his life’s work experience. The result is a wonderful selection of great wines in a wonderful setting that brings additional culinary accompaniments.

Visited June 2011