“No, don't do it.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Springfield, MO
“No, don't do it.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Very old motel, very, very old bed/furniture, very, very smelly room! True, the woman at the front desk is very nice.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
VagabondLodge, Owner at Vagabond Lodge, responded to this review, October 9, 2010
Thanks for your feedback. Our hotel was established in 1954, and we have hade additions as recently as 2002. We are currently remodeling each and every room with new furnniture, and we plan on having that complete (or close to it) by next summer.
Sorry to hear about a smell. Could you please call our office and let us know which room you were in so we can fix the problem?
Thanks again for letting us know and for your kind words about Kathy / Lori / Gail!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stayed in room 26 that had a wonderful river view! It was so quite and peaceful! I really hated to leave. The room was large, modest and clean. Everyone was very helpful and willing to help direct me to local activities. The grounds are expansive so taking a nightly stroll was wonderful. I would highly recommend this lodge to friends and family.. even a stranger! A great place to stay with great prices compared to the other hotel/motels in town. I definitely plan on going back later this fall or winter!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
VagabondLodge, Owner at Vagabond Lodge, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Glad to hear you had a pleasant stay; that's what we're here to do! Lori is especially good with places to go, isn't she? Thanks and we'll see you again
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

We have stayed here on three occasions and except for the last stay it has been an acceptable motel. I have to say that its the "cheapest" motel rate wise but still overpriced for the obvious lack of essentials such as COFFEE!
Come on Vagabond get with the times please! The rooms are modest and clean, again don't expect high end. I heard no road noise on amy stays so I don't understand how others can complain. However our last stay in September was ruined by the LOUD and nosiy drinking and pot smoking of several folks under and near our room. We were upstairs and they were ouside sitting on a park bench. They woke me up at 10:45 then again at 1:30 in the morning. I called the front desk to complain and they didn't answer. The next morning I complained to the housekeeping manager and told her about the noise and the mess they left behind including someone's vomit. Really disgusting! I still don't know if the party people were staying there or if they worked there. We were counting on staying here again but now I am uncertain. No effort was made to give us a price break for having such a lousy nights "sleep". Undecided if I can recommend this motel to others. For almost 100 bucks(the so called deluxe rooms) I'd rather kick in 20 more and get a better room at the Best Western with nicer perks!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the feedback! This is the best measure we have to learn of, and fix, a problem. I'll look into the phone system to find out why the call didn't ring through. If there ever is a problem of any sort, please do not hesitate to let us know.
We haven't had coffee in the rooms in the past because it is available in the office. We do have extra coffee pots for our guests to borrow, along with other amenities. We are starting to remodel the rooms, so you will see some more updates if you decide to stay with us again. We're disappointed if we don't earn (or worse lose) a guests trust, and will work to fix any issue brought to us.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We got in late in rainy weather, got stuck paying for a more expensive room with a view that we couldn't see cause that was all they had left. We were travelling with 2 dogs and needed a pet friendly place, which they were. The lady at the front desk was very nice. The room seemed ok, nothing too special, and appeared clean. It was a long day and I was very tired, however I awoke to bites on the top of my foot, which were itching me like crazy. I jumped out of bed in the dark to find my flashlight, but upon checking I couldn't see anything. It totally creeped me out though, and I slept terribly after that, itching everywhere with the feeling that bugs were crawling on me. The bites on my foot were absolutley driving me insane, it took alot of restraint to try not to itch them. It is 5 days later, they are still sore and itchy and very red. I have never had bites like these before.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sorry to hear about the marks and your uncomfortable sleep. It sounds like you or the dogs found some poison oak, which leaves small red marks on the skin that do look like bite marks! I'm highly allergic to it as well, and have had the same reaction on my skin. It lasts about a week, and the best thing to do is put some anti-itch medicine on it and not scratch it.
You don't have to be concerned about any bed bugs here; we don't have any. We always perform a check of the rooms if a guest gets poison oak to make sure it's not anything else, and we take regular preventative measures against bed bugs and other insects.
Hope to see you again; we'll work on finding and removing any poison oak in the meantime!
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We booked one of the river-view rooms and it was beautiful with a balcony overlooking the river. The room was very large for 2 people and very comfortable. The price was so reasonable - especially when compared to other 'motels' in the area that charge significantly more for less. Good restaurants nearby as well - good recommendations from the office staff. Book early because they fill up quickly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Glad you had a great stay; that's what we try to do! Next time we'll try to get the eagles to fly by for you; they like to perch on the trees by the river below your room. Hope to see you when you visit Hood River again!
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I've stayed at the Vagabond many times on wintertime budget ski trips, but this was my first summertime stay. As a few have already noted, there is more to the Vagabond than meets the eye (from the highway). Overall great value for the money, cheap, clean, very very friendly staff.

The cheapest rooms are the bank of rooms visible from the front, and they're just fine. But farther back is a lovely old-fashioned park-like setting (the groundskeeper was cutting roses to take in to the front desk), sheltered from the highway, with buildings overlooking the river. This trip, we stayed in one of the "partial-river-view" rooms ... which had a great view of the river. The "partial" is simply because it is ground floor and there are some trees in the view as well...

In the winter, great deals on Mt. Hood Meadows lift tickets with your stay.

The ladies at the front desk were super friendly and a hoot to talk with.

So, for a special occasion riverview stay, go next door to the Columbia Gorge Hotel, but for a great value with or without the same view, check out the Vagabond!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for the review, we're still getting blooming roses in October this year! Glad you could stay with us during the summer, and look forward to a good snow season this winter (cross your fingers). We're going to have the discounted Mt Hood Meadows lift tickets again this year, "packaged" with a room to save our guests some more money. We hope to see you when the snow starts to fall!
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

After long hours on the road my wife and I decided to stay at Hood River, OR. We debated camping or simply getting a hotel. We were concerned because we were travelling with our dog, but didn't want to stay at a hotel that allowed pets because of bad experiences in the past. We were more than pleasantly surprised when we made it to our room and is was clean, very nice, and pet friendly. The staff was friendly and the service was great.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
VagabondLodge, Owner at Vagabond Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Thanks for your review. We have stayed (and will stay) pet friendly while it seems every other hotel has banned pets. Thanks again and hope to see you next time your road trip brings you to Hood River!

Been to Vagabond Lodge? Share your experiences!