“An unpleasant surprise” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Adams
“An unpleasant surprise”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

After much research, we chose to stay at the Vagabond Lodge for one night on our trip through Oregon. We booked our room in April for our stay in August. I called the week before our scheduled arrival to confirm our reservation, and again at 2PM on THE DAY of our arrival and was told that everything was OK. Imagine our surprise when we arrived at 8PM after a whole day of hiking to find that our room had been given to "someone with a name similar to yours" (they had my credit card number) They had no other rooms available, so we were out of luck. The man at the desk didn't seem all that apologetic, but finally offered to call other area motels to try to find us a room. To his credit, he did send us to another motel, but from listening to him make the calls, this was the only one in town with available rooms. He gave us the difference in price, BUT...the motel he sent us to was horrible!! (run down, not clean, toilet wouldn't flush....but that's another story) After getting back home to Massachusetts, I called the manager of the Vagabond, and did finally get my money back, BUT.....would think twice about making a reservation at the Vagabond again. The way they do business is, in a word...deplorable!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

I stayed 2 nights and they were enjoyable. I chose this place on the suggestions of other reviews listed on this site and because the motel has balcony views of the Columbia River Gorge.

The motel is in pretty good shape. I choose a larger room and was given a corner room. I loved the balcony. There was a nice view and I sat out there and read a book and bird watched. There are a lot of trees around and birds were constantly flying from tree to tree. I also saw and heard a squirrel.

The room was pretty clean: bedsheets, carpet, bathroom, and balcony were all clean. The walls were good (i.e. not thin) and staff was friendly. There was a lot of space in the room and it had a fridge and microwave which is a definite plus for me when I travel.

The couple of downsides to my stay/room were that there were a lot of cobwebs around the outer perimeter of the building (railings, some on my balcony, one by my window). Since the motel is very close to the river and a lot of trees there are going to be more insects than usual, but I thought housekeeping could have done a better job sweeping these areas. Also, don't keep your doors open too long or bugs will fly into your room.

The other downside was that there is a bit of noise because of the proximity to the freeway, but it's not too bad and is more of a drone once you get used to it.

I've stayed in many low budget motels and this was a pretty good one. There's a more expensive hotel next door but for the price and the value I would recommend saving money and booking here at Vagabond Lodge.

• Liked — The view from the balcony
  • Disliked — The insects
  • Stayed September 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

Arrived on a Tuesday afternoon at 3pm without reservation; they had two rooms left. One was $69, with one queen and a single in a building just off the highway. We checked it out and it would have been fine. Road noise was very minimal. Came with fridge and microwave.

But then we saw the room in a two story building at the rear of the property; room was with one king bed with balcony overlooking the river and the Washington State landscape on the other side so we decided to splurge for the $89 rate for this room. Note that no discounts for AARP or AAA are given here.

Room was large, equipped with fridge and microwave (coffee is only in lobby), 27"TV and WiFi. Room was spotless; view was very nice and balcony had two chairs for sipping wine while enjoying the view. Virtually no road noise.

Grounds are beautiful; motel consists of several (5 or 6?) buildings separated by landscaping. Picnic grove with tables and a gas grill. Safeway supermarket nearby and a wine store next door (closed on Mon and TU).

Great place to relax and sleep.

• Liked — location, view
  • Disliked — no AARP discount
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed over Labor Day weekend (booked well in advance) and had a great stay, especially for the price and the view. I had read previous reviews and took some advise when we requested our room. We stayed in the newer building in a large river view room. There was new carpet in the room as well as a fridge and was more than spacious. There is also wi-fi in the room (no charge!). The balcony provided great views of the gorge. We did see bald eagles from our room (and there is an eagles nest down near the river).
If you are looking for a place that gives you breakfast and pampers you, go next door (you will pay a lot more though.) For $89/night you cannot beat the value. Especially if you are looking for a room with a view. We slept with the windows open and did not hear any trains (they appear to be on the WA side of the river).

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

A wonderful surprise. Nothing fancy but a huge room, with great views of the Gorge, great staff, and a fantastic price. I have stayed at the "fancy" property next door in the past and this place buries them for service and value. I'll definitely try to stay here again in the future.

• Liked — Views and overall value
  • Disliked — That I could only stay for one night
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Telford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We spent three nights there in mid July 2008. We were fortunate enough to have a river view room with a balcony which not only overlooked the river, but also a bald eagles nest in a tree. We did not see the eagle on the nest but we had a good view of it drifting past on the air currents on two occasions. Magic!
The room was clean and comfortable which suited our purpose.
Would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Schaumburg, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

I stayed at the Vagabond Lodge in Hood River for 3 nights - 7/24/08 through 7/27/08. I had a good stay there. The room was large and quiet and I had a great view of the Columbia River.
A few pieces of advice: If you need a clock radio or alarm clock, bring your own--there won't be one in the room. I did receive my wake up calls very promptly from the front desk each morning of my stay. My room only had a shower, which was fine for me, but if you need a bathtub, you may want to ask about that. Also, be sure to bring your own shampoo, as there won't be a complimentary bottle in the bathroom. The hotel does provide soap. It is about a 7-8 minute drive to the downtown area of Hood River

• Liked — The room was large and quiet.
  • Disliked — No clock radio in the room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Vagabond Lodge? Share your experiences!