“Pleasurable Stay-Excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hood River Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ashland, Oregon
“Pleasurable Stay-Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

Hood River Hotel is a perfect place to stay for a short ski/snowboarding getaway. It is an historic inn that is located in downtown Hood River. Although it had been remodeled in the late 80s, much of its original structure was restored creating an inviting ambience. The room's wooden floors, a brass-gated elevator, towering ceilings and the lobby's marble fireplace all showcased nostalgia. Sparkling clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff, a quaint lobby restaurant ($10 breakfast voucher was given), and a relaxing spa/jacuzzi were ingredients for a pleasurable stay. Lift tickets for The Meadows (approx 35 miles away) were available at the front desk for $25 each. Also ski/snowboard rental equipment was accessible across the street at Doug's Sports. I would not hesitate for one moment to book another stay at the Hood River Hotel.

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

I have previously written a review for this wonderful hotel, back when there wasn't an option to include photos. So my main reason for posting again is to share pictures. However I also wanted to comment because of a previous reviewer who stated that this hotel may not be for younger people. I think it's unfair to assume that younger travellers won't enjoy this hotel. My husband and I are both in our 20's and we loved it! We never once felt out of place based on our age. In fact, the front desk staff seemed to be in their 20's themselves. It was over a year ago, so I unfortunately can't remember the ages of the other staff we saw, (mostly 30's and 40's maybe??). We did not see any age-discrimination behavior from the staff at all. We've stayed at expensive, modern establishments where they looked down their noses at us simply because we were "that young couple" and treated us like unwanted alien lifeforms because of our age, but this hotel is NOT one of those snooty places at all! So if you enjoy old historic hotels, please don't let your age be a factor in deciding whether you'll enjoy staying here.

Stayed July 2004
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2005

We only spent one night at the Hood River Hotel but that one night was more than enough for us to wish we’d scheduled at least another night or two.
I had read the reports from some who thought it was “squeaky”, old or run down, and I found none of this to be true. Any hotel this age that is rich in woods might have a squeak or tow but nothing that would bother the average traveler. From the dark woods in the lobby to an extraordinary room that is seemingly furnished from the Vanderbilt’s era everything was perfect for my wife and I.
Now, if you are a youngster that thinks chrome and vinyl dictates style than this probably won’t be on your list. We’ve stayed at the El Tovar Hotel in the Grand Canyon and Wawona Hotel in Yosemite and consider the Hood River Hotel as a near equal.

• Stayed April 2005
bloomington, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2005

If you want a pristine cookie cutter Holiday Inn or Marriott, this is not your place. I have stayed here several times. It is very clean and the staff is very helpful. Excellent beds. Although I am very "noise sensitive," the trains running about 75 yards from the Riverview rooms did not bother me once I fell asleep ... and that came quickly.
I also stayed in the hotel's courtyard rooms a few years ago, a little less expensive and quieter. Since the Riverview rooms do not have a great view of the River, the slightly less expensive courtyard rooms are probably a bettter value.
Check the hotel's Internet site --- they have a great rate in the shoulder season that includes a $10 discount for breakfast.
Remember, this is an historic hotel. For some reason, the water plumbed to the toilets is warm water -- go figure. The floors creak ---- that is historic in this country.
The breakfasts are excellent. Pasqualle's Restaurant in the hotel is one of the best and most reasonably priced restaurants in the Pacific Northwest.
If you are in Hood River for any reason, visit the new Pheasant Valley winery -- a great addition to the area.
Also, for those looking for an inexpensive family Chinese restaurant, the Hood River Chinese Restaurant a block from the Hood River Hotel was a great choice.

Stayed April 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

The Hood River Hotel is ill prepared to deal with items left in the hotel rooms. Don't most hotels have a system? We know that we made a mistake and failed to check a closet, but the way we were treated was rude and unexcusable.
My husband left a jacket in a closet of the room. We called within the day and were given a royal runaround. He was even accused of lying! It practically ruined our vacation.
Apparently the front desk does not communicate with housekeeping. Meanwhile, we called from the road and were given excuses. We were even hung up on. (The coat was located and mailed to us at our expense. )
Also- the river view room that we reserved had a great view, a really nice view of the parking lot of Pietro's Pizza.
If you like HOT coffee in the morning you might want to avoid the restaurant. At least the waitress did not argue with us or question our veracity when we asked for hotter coffee.

• Stayed March 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2004

My husband and I stayed here by chance for one night about 3 weeks ago. We loved it!! We were very surprised by how affordable it was, especially compared to the other hotels in Hood River, and especially considering that it is historic. We chose one of the basic rooms with a view of the cute little courtyard. After looking at all of the rooms before deciding on one, I think the cheaper courtyard rooms are nicer than the more expensive ones that look out at the river. The view of the river from here isn't very great, whereas the little courtyards are quaint and full of colorful flowers. The suites they have were very nice looking and were tempting, but we really only needed a basic room for the night.

Our room was small, but wonderful. It was very clean and had everything we might need in it. It had a hardwood floor that sloped slightly because of age (I didn't even notice the slope at all until I dropped something that rolled), and beautiful wooden furniture. We didn't have any problems with "bouncy" or overly creaky floors. I had no problems with the bed, I slept wonderfully on it. It's true that the bathrooms are extremely small, but as the front desk explained to us, the reason they are so small is because way back when the hotel was built, there were only communal showers/toilets. So, in order to build a bathroom per room later on, they had to convert what had been a bedroom closet. The water temperature was a little quirky at times. It was as if a ghost were playing tricks on us. Every so often, the cold water would run hot. Even the toilet water started steaming once. I've heard of running out of hot water before, but how do you run out of cold water?? Very strange. It came and went at very odd times.

It's true that it gets a little hot in the rooms at night. But we opened up the courtyard window for an hour before going to bed and turned on the ceiling fan and that cooled things down very nicely. Being a little paranoid about safety, I closed the window before going to sleep, but left the ceiling fan on high and that kept things comfortable all night. Even though we were on the top floor, we preferred to walk up the stairs. Since we never took the elevator, I can't really comment on it.

The main downside with this hotel is that there is no free parking nearby. However, at least the hotel staff was happy to pre-pay for our next morning's meter so that we didn't have to get up and go out to the curb ourselves. The young woman at the front desk who checked us in also seemed bored about her job, but that didn't affect our stay any. She still treated us very well and was good at answering all of our questions.

We would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat! Even though I suffered from food poisoning that night (we had eaten at Brian's Pourhouse), I still enjoyed the hotel room immensely. Maybe we should have just eaten at the hotel's own restaurant instead of going out, LOL! Anyways, this hotel has got a lot of quaint ambience at an affordable price, and it's in a great location within Hood River! If we ever pass through Hood River again, we will be staying here. It's wonderful!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2004

My hubby and I stayed here several years ago for our anniversary. Romantic charm, large room! Living room, full kitchen, 2 baths, and 2 beds in the bedroom. Got a great deal on a suite with our entertainment card, less than 100 dollars per night for that. it was bigger than our apartment!

The elevator was slow, so we took the stairs, and the floors could be creaky, but that did not seem to bother us. Being able to watch a movie in the room, and make our own popcorn, and then make breakfast in the morning was great, and the town is beautiful (budget conscience you know!)

We plan on returning there again this year.

Been to Hood River Hotel? Share your experiences!