“Pleasant hotel, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro

You added Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5900 Northeast Ray Circle, Hillsboro, OR 97124 (Formerly Wingate Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Hillsboro
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
“Pleasant hotel, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel is well situated: only a few miles to almost all locations you need in Hillsboro, Beaverton or other neighboring towns. It will take only a few minutes to reach them if you drive a car.

The building was located about 100 meters (380 feet) from Cornell Road, so traffic did not disturb calmness of this place. But sometimes in dead of the night you could hear horn of a distant train. There were trees and green lawns around the hotel so it looked very nice and peaceful.

There were parking lots and I was always able to find free one to leave my car around the hotel. The building had several entrances operated by hotel key cards. That was very convenient, I did not have to go to main entrance every time.

Two elevators existed for climbing upstairs, but it was extremely cold in the elevator car. It seemed like I was standing in a freezer while going up and down.

The room door was operated with the plastic key card and contained all I needed to feel safe: the door eye and internal locks which could not be opened from outside.

The room was sufficiently spacious and cozy. One exception was a very noisy air conditioner (heater). But after difficult days I somehow managed to sleep under that “white noise” coming from the heater. I was staying in late November and first days of December, meaning it was nearly impossible to sleep comfortably without heating the room.

The room was equipped with all I wanted including huge bed suitable for two, a desk, folding armchair and fridge. An ironing board together with iron itself was found in the wardrobe as usually. The hotel provides a tea and coffee making machine with a couple of tea bags. As I’m a tea addict (you may check my other hotels’ reviews), I’d prefer if I had more complimentary tea bags. Furthermore, to be completely honest, that kind of coffee making machine was unable to make a proper cup of tea; strong scent of stale coffee haunted every cup.

Internet was available both in wired and Wi-Fi connections. Do not forget to obtain a password on reception.
Since I was a traveler from Europe, AC plugs of my laptop and mobile phone charger needed an outlet adaptor, which I forgot to take from home unfortunately. Reception in this hotel normally does not have this kind of things but it happened that somebody forgot it before and did not claim later, so a receptionist offered it to me, what made me really happy.

Every day they brought fresh USA today in spite of I explicitly asked the hotel personnel to stop doing that. Nevertheless, thanks for the newspaper.

Breakfast was not as good as I desired it to be but still can be endured for several days. You might find hot omelet with fried ham for example. There was a machine for making pancakes. I’d say that machine made a quite decent pancakes. Jam and syrup were near. There was a selection of tea bags and coffee as well. But at the same time I badly missed slices of cheese or boiled sausage to cover sandwich. Interesting that forks and knives were made of plastic. I do not have anything against plastic things, it was merely a surprise.

There were other places to dine. Orenco Station Gril and Starbucks were not so far from the hotel. It would take less than ten minutes if you decided to walk there. New Seasons store was even closer. I would also recommend visiting BJ’s or Applebee’s, that was my personal choice.

The hotel was very good even taking into account a few things I mentioned above. I do not mind staying in this hotel again. I dare to say I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Thank you for such a well detailed review of our hotel. I appreciate the time and effort you took to provide the feedback. Your words are thoughtful and well articulated. It is nice to know we made your stay enjoyable. Please come back and see us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I traveled to the HIE with a soccer team traveling to the area for a tournament. The hotel represented itself very well. Clean and up to date rooms, nice lobby, and a small but adequate patio to relax outside when the weather allowed it. The hotel is a little out-of-the way in regards to shopping or restaurants but we knew that when we booked into it. The hotel front desk staff were very friendly and even though the hotel was mostly business oriented (Intel I think), did a good job at accommodating the influx of soccer kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello. It is wonderful to hear we were able to make your recent stay a positive one. I'm sure you see the best and worst when traveling with your sports team. That makes us ever thankful that you choose our hotel. My staff and I aspire to make each and every stay the best we can. We are thankful you took the time to write about us and give us your thoughts. Thank you.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First time at this property, in town for business trip. Hotel is clean, rom is comfortable with nice bed, direct TV, decent bathroom. Staff is friendly and the free breakfast in the AM is good. Close to where I needed to be, filled the bill in all respects. Will stay here again next time in the areas

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Please accept my sincere thank you. It is appreciated so much that you took the time to fill out a review of our hotel. I Know my staff take their work seriously and have such pride in the work they do. It shows that it is all worth it in the end when we receive comments such as yours. We also value you being a first time guest and we look forward to more stays in the future. Take care until we meet again.
Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently spent a month at this hotel. The room was well maintained, cleaned daily, with fresh towels, bathroom items and tea/coffee supplies restocked! The rooms are spacious. I appreciated the mini-fridge and the microwave, iron/ironing board...especially over the month long stay.

All staff, were extremely curtious, friendly and helpful whenever I needed anything!

The free breakfast buffet in my opinion is perfect. A selection of fruit, yoghurts, pastries, cereals, waffles or bacon/eggs and the usual tea/coffee/juices are available. I could sit and eat or, pick up and go...as time permitted!

There is also a laundry room, one washer and 1 drier, on the 2nd floor....Big PLUS, when staying long term!

I like others, didn't use the hot tub, it was right by the elevators and back door...frosted glass or mirrored effect might be an option for some privacy, as you could see straight in from the carpark or people staring while waiting on their elevator! (Very small negative!)

The gym is small, but has a nice little selection of machines to use! With towels and water availale...and Direct TV available too!

I would definitely stay at this hotel again...a home from home!

Room Tip: Enjoy your complimentary M&M's from reception on arrival!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. It is a wonderful thing to hear that we hit all the marks during your stay making it a comforting one. We appreciate your time and we welcome your return to the hotel.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our non-profit organization holds its quarterly Board meetings here. It is centrally located for our Board members, who live across the Portland area, and provides easy commuting (and a great breakfast) for Board members who live outside the area and need to stay overnight. We have always found the staff to be helpful and accommodating. They do their best to anticipate our needs and generally succeed. The meeting room itself is large, comfortable and well-maintained. We have 11 Board members plus 2 staff, so we use the larger of the two meeting rooms. Overall, this is a beautifully run and maintained hotel that is also well-suited for business meetings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
It is a great pleasure to work with you and it is a huge compliment to receive such high praise. It is deeply appreciated by the entire staff at the hotel. We look forward to work together in the future.
Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

First things first, the bedroom and bed were great! Very comfortable and clean. The pillows were great as well. Sometimes you get flat pillows, but not here. :) Next up is the bathroom. Once again it was well cleaned and stocked. There was a refrigerator in the room that actually got drinks ice cold! bonus! The gym and pool were very well kept as well.
Lastly there was a free secure access parking garage which is a very nice touch when you go to a place you may not be familiar with. I'm always hearing about cars that are broken into at night when folks are on the road, but no worries here! Great feature.
The staff was friendly and provided a pretty good breakfast. Maybe not a huge selection, but it was adequate and fresh.
I come here often to visit family and have stayed at bed and breakfasts, hotels, motels, and others, but I know where I will be staying from here on out! It's near a lot of shopping and the Hillsboro Airport, and it's not far from Beaverton, Portland, or even an hour trip to the Pacific Ocean to see where Lewis and Clark turned around in Historic Seaside, Oregon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I think you did a great job in capturing our thoughts on the hotel. The staff as well as myself all take pride in making this a comfortable hotel. It sounds like your time here was everything we strive to achieve. Thank you for your valued input into our operations. It is invaluable to our team and a welcomed measuring stick for our successes and failures.
Klamath Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The rooms at this hotel are great! I loved the king-sized bed and comfy mattress! The rooms are spacious. I appreciated the mini-fridge and the microwave as well.

The free breakfast buffet is a great option for guests. We were able to grab a quick bite in the morning and the selection was just what we needed! The staff were also on hand to keep the food and coffee well-stocked.

Didn't use the hot tub; it was a little small and it was right by the elevators.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
It is so gratifying to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to pass your comments along to the entire team especially the room attendants and the breakfast attendant. We look to make every experience the best it can be. Just this week we updated our internet to make it even faster. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you for your stay and your comments.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro? Share your experiences!