“Great Mexican food - super service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #113 of 236 Restaurants in Hillsboro
Cuisines: Mexican
Onalaska, Wisconsin
“Great Mexican food - super service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Waitress and bartender had each other's back and when one got tied up the bartender brought drinks out from bar to outside seating so we would not wait or be inconvenieced. Steak Fajitas were pletiful and sizzling

Visited August 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Long wait - food was cold”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We have been coming to this restaurant since it opened. The first year the food was top notch. We were regulars! The chips were incredibly light and the salsa was fresh and tasty. The entrees were cleverly plated and prepared with generous portions. How things have changed since that first year!
Since their opening, we've noticed many changes in the food and service. Recently, we decided to give them another try and brought our son and daughter-in-law to eat on a Tuesday night. We arrived at 6:10 - was seated at 6:30 - sat for at least 10 minutes before ANYONE came to the table to even offer a glass of water. Twenty minutes later we finally ordered, then waited another 45 min for our food.
We did get a basket of chips (not the light, tasty ones - the greasy, stuck together ones). There was NO deviation on ordering from the menu, according to our waiter - even substituting a cup of soup for a bowl of soup???
My husband ended up ordering two higher priced items because of the "no substituion" rule. When our dinners finally arrived, two of them were cold and had the food stuck to the plate. It looked as if they both had been sitting under the warmer for a long time.
They did offer to replace our meals with fresh ones, but after waiting for over an hour, we didn't have time to wait any longer. Another hour maybe??? Our waiter was very indifferent and very absent.
Unfortunately, that will be our last trip to On The Border. We've noticed the inconsistencies and lack of attention, not only in the preparation of the meal, but in the service as well.
I notice the recent good reviews of this restaurant - probably not having that first year experience, they have nothing to compare it to!

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Great Food and good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I really enjoy the melted taco. And the house margaritas are great!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lynnwood, Washington
“Worth The Wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I've always been curious about On The Border. It took a while to get to one, but it made a nice addition to our Portland area trip. Yes it is a chain, but it ended up being a good experience for the first time. The place definitely has the Mexican look inside and out. Our server was very patient with us. Being there for the first time, we had to study the menu for a while. We both ended up trying a new item for them. I found the green chili enchiladas very good. A nice change of pace. Not too spicy for me, but could be spicy to some. They serve some of the biggest chips you will ever see with your chips and salsa. They were good, but a few did come out too oily. Overall I found it to be a good dining experience. If I ever come across another one in my travels (since there are none in the Seattle area), I won't hesitate to stop again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hillsboro, Oregon
“The Walmart of Mexician Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Poor service, Very cold food, Expensive drinks. Look I could go on with the details of how dissatisfied my family and I was with our visit to this restaurant but I won't. I don't have anything positive to say so i'll just put forward a bit of advise. Go somewhere else to eat.

Visited March 2012