“Unplanned Stopover” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Grants Pass
Portland, Oregon
“Unplanned Stopover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I were on a road trip from Portland to California when we had car trouble and had to be towed into Grants Pass to the only auto repair shop open on Sunday. After waiting for hours for repairs to be made, the mechanic suggested we reserve a room at The Lodge. We called and they sent a car to pick us and our luggage up. The friendly, helpful and sympathetic staff checked us into a comfortable and spacious room and told us to come down for wine and cheese. We did and had a relaxing afternoon snack on the side patio. Evening cookies and milk were another unexpected delight. The free breakfast offered a number of options and my husband loved the biscuits and gravy. The Staff at The Lodge turned what could have been a very miserable unscheduled stay into a most enjoyable experience. Our warmest "Thank You" to the entire Staff.

Room Tip: Our upper south side room was spacious and quite.

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Coos Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

With three 60+ year olds on a fun trip to Grants Pass, OR you might think we could have some special needs. Right! And, let me tell you that Jake and staff at the front desk bent over backwards to help us with whatever needs and wants came up. Would recommend this Lodge at Riverside to all. Sue

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge in Sept 2012 while passing through on our way to Portland. The room was spacious, comfortable, and very quiet. The free breakfast had both hot and cold cereals as well as fresh waffles and hot cinnamon buns. The hotel definitely exceeded our expectations and we'd stay again if we were in the area.

Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights and it was wonderful once we got the room appropriate for us. Be sure to reserve a room on the Lodge website...it was 20.00 less than going thru Orbitz or other. I asked for a room with a deck so we could sit and watch the river. When I got checked in the trees were soooooo covering any view of the water I was very disappointed. I called the desk and they said it was the ONLY room available. I asked to speak to the Supervisor and Tamera told me when a room is advertised as "water front", it doesn't necessarily mean you get a full view! I asked if she had seen this deck view recently and could she come and bring some clippers! She laughed, but, was not helpful. She asked if I had reserved on the website or thru someone else ...luckily, I had reserved thru the Lodge website. That must have given me some edge. I told Tamera that I had filled in the place online that asked what can be made available for us to make our stay memorable. I had written I only wanted a view of the river. There literally was not a river to be seen from the deck. I asked her if I could get my money back and not stay at all. At that point, she said she'd call me back. When she did, she offered another room. Jake showed me the room and we could see the river and the park across the river. It was fabulous. The hotel was never filled, in fact, there only seemed to be half the rooms occupied. I do not understand why they wouldn't want to offer me another room right away. I was very calm, and nice about the entire event. I was really disappointed with the first room. The rooms are very, very nice. Very large. If you like to put your things away there were only 3 small drawers and no counter space unless you use the table. The counter with the bathroom sink is higher than usual and beautiful granite. The room was sparkling clean except for both corners of shower than could use some bleach. Towels were not the thick type. If I had known they offered the thin, skimpy type I would have brought my own. The cheese/wine at 430 pm was a soft, spreadable cheese and both times we went there wasn't any left. You had to go to front desk to ask for the wine and it was brought out to you. The breakfast was very good. Not many people so it was easy to serve yourself. The girl in charge was so happy, in fact, all the employees were so cheery! The breakfast had cinnamon rolls served from chafing dish but were cold, waffles to make yourself, biscuits/gravy, boiled eggs (green centers), yogurt, scones that were excellent, cold cereal, oatmeal with toppings , bagels, and, excellent coffee served in the lobby or at breakfast. The tv channels were limited with just HBO for movies, but, we weren't there for tv. Wifi was fast and you can get it on the deck too. The pool is gorgeous. Hot tub also. Grounds are clean and taken care of. You need to beable to take the stairs if you have a 2nd floor room. Try this place! It's wonderful. Oh, we walked to Saturday market and ate at MaMosa's. I'm sure all their food was wonderful. They aim to please and will bring you what you need. They work very hard to make it good. The taco's were amazing.
Note: the first room we were given was right next to the bridge. If you are sensitive to noise be sure to ask for a room as far away from the bridge as possible. Even with the door and window shut you could hear the tire noise. All we wanted was a view of the river and I don't understand with all the rooms available why they wouldn't offer it right away?! Also, we had champagne and truffles waiting for us. However, there wasn't any ice on the champagne and so it was warm on our arrival. Truffles were the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bridge. If you want to see the river ask for 2nd floor. There are onl...
Coos Bay, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Girl's Nights Out!!! was a wonderful experience at The Lodge at Riverside in Grants Pass. We were pampered by the Friendly and extremely helpful staff. We walked over every morning to the yummy comp breakfast(up to as late as 10:45 am) with cheerful & helpful Pam making sure we had all we needed. Jake,Jessie,&girls(in the cozy Lobby area)had wine,cheese,&crackers out for us each afternoon; &"warm"chocolate chip cookies every evening! Our room was clean,beds were comfy,and a nice pool area overlooked the river. All the staff were great-but,I have to say that JAKE went out of his way to answer all our questions & make sure we were as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: They have no elevator,so-for us, being on the ground floor was very handy.
Murphys, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Extremely friendly staff .
Jesse was very engaging and helpful.
Good location. The breakfast server was very cheerful. Would recommend this hotel. They also have The Weasku Lodge. Really nice cabins on the rivet

• Stayed September 2012
Shelburne, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We traveled with another couple and picked this town for a stopover on our drive from Crater Lake to the Coast. It was listed as a Foder's Choice and didn't disappoint. Large, comfortable rooms. Free WIFI service. AC unit was faulty in our friend's room and was reported on check out. Fortunately, it cools down at night, so AC wasn't a major issue. We selected rooms on the parking lot side which tended to be a bit noisier from party people in the lot.
We happened to be there on the hottest day of the month (over 90). Nice hospitality at 4:30 PM with wine and cheese. Exceptionally good free breakfast. Friendly front desk with lots of suggestions on where to eat. We were too tired to drive downtown and it was too hot to walk the mile, so we chose the restaurant across the street called Tap Rock. Big disappointment. Was not one of the recommended restaurants. Will write that up a separate review.

Room Tip: Rooms facing river are much nicer but priced higher.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Lodge at Riverside? Share your experiences!