“Traffic Noise Mars This Over-Rated Motel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Buona Sera Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grants Pass
Buona Sera Inn
You added Buona Sera Inn to your Saves list
1001 NE 6th Street, Grants Pass, OR 97526   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Grants Pass
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Davis, CA
“Traffic Noise Mars This Over-Rated Motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have been making use of TA for several years and I have found that if one takes a "consensus" view of the reviews it is an invaluable guide. However, I regret to say that in this case, having just re-read the reviews after my stay, that at the Buona Sera Inn I did not get quite what I had hoped for and expected. Most important to me (a light sleeper) and my wife (a moderate to good sleeper) is quiet. When making my reservation I asked the woman owner about noise and she re-assured me. I had also read all of the TA reviews in full, and out of 40 or so reviews, I think only one mentioned traffic noise, and several reviews described the place as quiet.

The problem is that Buona Sera fronts 99, the main arterial street in downtown Grants Pass. Indeed the rooms are not set back very far from 99. Arriving in early mid afternoon, as politely as I could, I raised the issue with the owners. They assured me that the room was quiet, and the woman said that noise was something that was "just in ones head." She said the noise would die down and indeed with the TV on it was not too bad. However, shortly after 5.00 AM I, and my wife, were awakened by a constant stream of traffic. In fairness two things: 1) When I raised the of noise on arrival the owners offered to allow me to cancel my reservation--but I was not about to go hunting for rooms on Friday afternoon evening in peak season at such a major stopping off point; 2) Many, or most, of the motels/hotels in Grants Pass are near I5 or 99. I have concluded that I will not stay in Grants Pass again. If I need to stopover in S. Oregon again I would go to Cave Junction on 199 if going on to the coast (as one reviewer mentioned), or stay at some other town in S. Oregon if continuing on I5 such as Ashland or Medford.

The rooms were clean and well furnished, and the price was very reasonable, though not a steal. The continental breakfast was pretty bare bones by today's standards.

If early morning traffic noise does not bother you then maybe this is a place to consider. I also appreciate that the owners have put a lot into this motel over many years, but at the end of the day what matters, at least to me, is a good night's sleep.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

No doubt the owners (a very nice couple) have prettied up the place, but make no mistake that this is still just a motel. We were in their one 2-bedroom suite with kitchenette, but the bedrooms were really tiny and the mattresses really need replacing. It worked for one night for our family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Portland OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I attended a wedding in the Applegate Valley. We typically choose Marriott's, Hilton's others with minimum of 3-1/2 star ratings. We were not familiar with the Grants Pass area and relied on Trip Advisor for guidance. Because the room rates were so low, we were worried how the place would actually look. WOW, were we pleasantly surprised! Our room, bedding and linens were absolutely spotless and comfortable. The air conditioner was quiet. Price even included breakfast of coffee, yogurt and fruit. THIS PLACE IS A STEAL. If ever we stay in the area again, Buona Sera will definitely be our first choice!

Room Tip: Road can be noisy. Select room closer to office for more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We were just passing through Grant's Pass for the night and stayed here based on other TA reviews and ratings. The service was excellent, the room was clean, and the staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed here one night while passing through on a weekend road trip up to Seattle. The proprietors are a lovely couple who are attentive and friendly. I had the "Rosetta" room (all the rooms have themes and are decorated slightly differently, see their website). Room is small but very clean and well-maintained, and conveniently includes a small kitchenette with microwave, small fridge, sink & dishes/dishdrainer, and even a small cafe table & chairs to eat at. The VERY reasonable price includes cable (HBO) and FREE wi-fi!! And like I said, the management couldn't be friendlier or more attentive. A great place to stay with that unique touch you just don't find at a chain motel!

• Stayed August 2011
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Enjoyed the clean and quite room. The Inn Keepers were very friendly and accommodating
Next to a beautiful rose garden. A 5 - 8 minute walk to downtown.. 5 star for a 2- 3 star price!!! Lori Tacoma :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Atherton, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We spent one night on our drive from San Francisco to Portland. The owners are extremely nice and welcoming. Their dog is a hoot, also. The one drawback is the bed was tiny and both my wife and I had our feet hanging off the end. So I recommend that you make sure you get a bed large enough. Otherwise, no complaint.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Buona Sera Inn? Share your experiences!