“Delicious food, not quite the view I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
South Orange, New Jersey
“Delicious food, not quite the view I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had a clam chowder, quite delicious, and a nice fresh salad, and a seafood fettucine. The pasta was cooked just right, with many plump shrimp in a tasty alfredo sauce. I couldn't get a table right by the windows, and the harbor view was not as exciting as I might have thought. Not that much going on in gold Beach. Friendly waitstaff, and the price was about right for the quality of food and ambiance. this restaurant is up a flight of steps, don't know if there's an elevator or not. and they could use a little more parking, too.

Visited August 2014

Branford, Connecticut
“not so fine dinning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Diane and I went to dinner on our last night in OR. We went to the nor'Wester after looking at the reviews. We started with a beef eater on the rocks for I had Bombay on the rocks both fine drinks. Diane had Dungeness crab cocktail this was very good. I started with the clam chowder it only came in a bowl no cup to be had. The chowder was tasty. Now the bad news Diane ordered the oysters sauteed off the tapas menu and took 1 bite the oysters thay tasted like snot out of a can nether she or I could stand them. The good part thay did take them off the bill. I ordered Dungeness crab with blue and brie also smoked samon with Asiago both off the tapas. Nowhere on the menu did it say there dishes were both au gratin so after a bowl of clam chowder that the flour should been cooked more 2 dishes of cheese. We took home the last 2 dishes but watress dumped them both in the same contaner real smooth. we also had a bottle of wine that was good becauce we had been to the winery 3 days ago. If you come here ask how your food is going to be perpaired I had no clue looking at the menu. Good buy and good eats.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Roseburg, OR
“Service was good, water view nice,food was just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Dined at this restaurant last night, of a 4 night visit at Gold Beach. After reading the reviews, majority really good, I anticipated some awesome seafood. Was seated right away, orders taken quickly. I was impressed by a really good wine list, but when served my excellent wine, disappointed when it was served in a heavy, thick, small bowled wine glass. This could and should be improved. Just saying, I am a wine consultant, and if you are serving expensive wines, serve them in good glasses please? And, I'm not a snob, just like what I pay for. Started with the clam chowder, which I will say was really good. Compared quite well with clam chowder on Cape Cod where they make the best (IMHO).
Ordered both pan fried oysters and breaded fried razor clams. Both were good, but heavy on the breading. Razors were tough, but that could be just the razors.
Overall, not very impressed, especially when I saw the prices. Couldn't help but overhear other diners voicing the same opinion on the prices.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Good food, good service. We love fresh seafood and this place didn't disappoint. The clam chowder is in my top 5. Service was good, staff friendly. Would recommend.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Henderson, Nevada
“Great views and staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We ended up here because Mangia Buff was having some sort of family night and only serving pasta. We wanted a nice dinner for my husbands birthday so decided to head elsewhere. We noticed the restaurant earlier when we were in the parking lot for Jerry's River Boat ride. The restaurant is right on the water in an older building. The interior is a little tired. It reminded me of the older casino steakhouses in Vegas. That's kind of what the food reminded me of as well. Typical old school steakhouse fare with the addition of a lot of seafood based on the locale. They did have a kids menu. I was hoping for a grilled chicken of some sort but the chicken options were on the heavy side. Cordon Bleu, some other fried something and then the Piccata (my selection). My husband ordered a breaded calamari steak. Your side options were rice or baked potato. It would have been nice to have a veggie option. Wine prices were inexpensive (at least to us Las Vegans. It seems like everywhere we've eaten in Oregon has had reasonable prices for bottles of wine. Not like home at all!). We got a bottle of Frog's Leap for like $40. Food was fine. Nothing terribly exciting, certainly not bad. The staff were WONDERFUL though. We very much enjoyed our conversations with them. Very nice, great service, lots of good tips on places to visit, and great with our 6 year old. They made the evening enjoyable and we appreciate that.

• Visited June 2014