“A good place for lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Talent, OR
“A good place for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We ate here on a recent trip to Gold Beach. I had the Polish Beer Bomb and my wife had the Grilled Portabella Panini. The entrees were very good, and the fries were freshly made from potatoes, not something frozen out of a bag.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Lyss, Switzerland
“Best Burger ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We ate at Barnacle Bistro on our way south the coast. It's a small, friendly room with a few tables and nice staff. The Burgers were absolutely delicious, the fries were great too. We enjoyed our stay and can recommend it!

Seattle
“Avoid Fisherman's Melt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Had lunch here yesterday (7/22), as we try to do every time we're in Gold Beach, and decided to try something different. The Fisherman's Melt sounded like a good taste combination: albacore (canned, since they're not running yet) with extra-sharp white cheddar and a basil pesto. I should have sent it back when it came out with a slice of American cheese. I asked our waiter and got a response that maybe the distributor hadn't delivered the cheese. On one half of the sandwich, I couldn't notice the pesto, on the other half the pesto overpowered everything else. No apologies from the chef for false advertising and full price was charged. We sat in the patio area, since the weather was nice. Not that attractive, sharing the space with spare cooking equipment and listening to the unseen semi's go by 25 feet away.

On the other hand, the fish & chips were very good (I think they've been better but that's hard to say when we only eat there every three or four months) and the mussels in curried apple cider are always absolutely wonderful. I have to agree with Leroy Z about the fresh ling cod & chips: we tried them last time and found them nowhere near as good as the frozen Alaskan cod.

The 'burgers remain overpriced, especially when Vista Pub in Brookings (27 miles south on 101) serves the best 'burgers I have ever eaten (in 65 years) for 3/4 the price!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
eboley, Manager at Barnacle Bistro, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
A couple things I'd like to clarify here..
# 1. The yellow cheese you mislabel as American was in fact xtra sharp cheddar which is 5.50 a lb and was replacing a crumbling block of the Tillamook sharp I usually use throughout the menu! I (as well) am not a big fan of the American cheese flavor either!
#2 . The used restaurant equipment is a smoker which I consistently use for the bistro. It can not be placed inside the building and I'm frankly perplexed at people when they voice concern for sharing patio space. In the future maybe I'll be able to afford a building that can accommodate and hide all the nuances of restaurant life some of you don't like to think about.... but probably not...
#3. I ask that you actually try a burger! You and your wife had an appetizer, fish n' chips, and the Fishermen's melt panini..... yet you still name drop another restaurant as you disparage our burgers? Was the burger dessert or just a good opportunity?
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Fresh Fish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We are spending a month in Gold Beach, so we decided to investigate as may local restaurants as we can.

Barnacle Bistro was our first experience, and it was OK.
It is located on the north side of Gold Beach on Highway 101.
The restaurant is rather small, and parking is adequate.

The server was friendly, but he was the only one "waiting" tables, and service was a bit slow.
The view of the kitchen is open, and one can watch the cooks preparing the meal.
They seemed to be a cheery crew, and is was fun to see them interact with each other and with the server.

I found the menu to be a bit pricey, but really, GB is a tourist town of about 2,500 people and it is isolated.

The fish in chips was good.

I learned that they were using frozen Alaskan Cod for their lunch menu and fresh Ling Cod for their dinner menu. We were having a late lunch at 2:30, and the chef said that he would prepare the meal with fresh Ling Cod.

The fish was absolutely delicious. It was moist and perfectly prepared. The portions were quite small, two small pieces.

Multiple styles of French Fries were available. I chose the garlic fries, and they were greasy.

We split a piece of cheese cake for desert. It was good, but like the usual cheese cake, it is a desert that is high in fat and not a good choice to end an already fatty meal.

The clam chowder was good, but like most that we've tried along the coast, you have to search for the clams.

In summary, good fresh fish, small servings, suboptimal French Fries, higher prices than expected. I would eat there again, but I would ask for an extra piece of fish, no fries and maybe some vinegar based coleslaw.

PS: The serving size is larger if you have the frozen Alaskan Cod.

Cheers.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“great lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stopped here for lunch on a road-trip vacation along the Oregon coast. Had a burger (very good) and the garlic fries were fantastic, don't miss them. Service was very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere