“Ruined our weekend” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ireland's Rustic Lodges

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gold Beach
Ireland's Rustic Lodges
You added Ireland's Rustic Lodges to your Saves list
29330 Ellensburg Road (US 101), Gold Beach, OR 97444   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Grants Pass
“Ruined our weekend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

Incredibly impolite. Incredibly uncooperative. False advertising regarding rates and a total unwillingness to remedy.

Absolutely the worst of the worst. I actually can't believe there are people this inhospitable in the "hospitality" business.

Check Better Busines Bureau for complaint.

• Liked — Beach access
  • Disliked — Honestly, the front desk was so incredibly rude, I did not check in.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid. Run. Don't look back.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Fortuna, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My wife and I have stayed at Ireland's 4 times, and we have always enjoyed it. We like the ability to bring our dogs and light a fire. We decided to celebrate our anniversary at another Gold Beach lodge on July 28 - 29 (Friday and Saturday nights) which charges around $300/night. We wanted to extend our vacation, so on either July 12th or 13th, we called Ireland's Rustic Lodges, and booked one night, a Thursday, July 27th. As our anniversary weekend approached, we began to reconsider our choice as we didn't really have the money to spend an extra day, so on Monday, 4 days before our reservation, we called Ireland's to cancel, and we were then rudely informed that they had already charged our VISA and that they had left the key out for us all night, and we had missed our reservation on the 21st! When we explained that we had made the reservation for the 27th, the man on the phone became outright hostile and dogmatically stated that they verified all their reservations with their "triple check" proceedure. He refused to refund our VISA stating that was their policy, and they were sticking with it.
OK, first of all, when we made the reservation around the 12th, the girl was extremely flustered because she was also checking people out of the hotel. Secondly, she did not triple check the date. Third, a 27 can look a lot like a 21, especially when written down hurriedly. And finally, we never received a confirmation letter, email, or phone call to verify any date either way. The man continued to behave aggressively and demanded to know why we wished to cancel anyway. I don't know, but that seems to me not to be any of his business. We were offended by this treatment and ended the call.
We called back later that day and got a woman. She was also rude and confrontational. My wife and I had not promoted this behavior as we were trying to be calm and nice as that usually gets better results than anger. At this point, I asked to speak to a manager, and I was denied. I gave my number and a time frame when I would be available and asked to have the manager return my call when she got in. She called back outside that time frame and left a message in a confrontational tone.
For the next 4 days, I called twice a day in an attempt to talk with a manager. I never spoke with a manager even though Shar told me Cindy or Dawn (the managers) were always there between 10am and 3pm. A different woman, Kelly, said they were always there after 5pm. I completely got the run around. I was tempted to physically stop by on our way out of Gold Beach and get some results, but I didn't because I knew I would get angry and negatively color the wonderful time we spent at the other lodge.
At this point, it is not about the money any more. I just want to talk to somebody with some authority and get a little satisfaction. If what they claim is true, then we booked a random Thursday in the middle of the week when, in reality, we booked a Thursday to extend a planned vacation that was reserved a year in advance. Hmmm, now who made the mistake here? I have read other reviews stating similar customer service complaints regarding Ireland's staff. They made the mistake, not us. Offending a steady customer, not providing a manager when requested, and no confirmation notice speaks volumes about my frustration and their shoddy business practices. So now I am writing letters to Ireland's management, their president, and their C.O. I am also pursuing matters through the Better Business Bureau. This is regrettable and could have been easily avoidable if I was just afforded a little customer respect. Ireland's is a nice place that we have enjoyed before, but I will not recommend them to my family, friends, or community any more.

Todd Flackus

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude employees. No manager - run around. Absence of customer service.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't patronize them. They do not appreciate you or your money.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

My husband and I stayed in this wonderful. relaxing setting last year and we plan to return again this year. We had a corner room facing the ocean with a fireplace and balcony. It was a pleasant surprise as it was our first stay, and we felt like we were back in time, stepping into the room with pine paneled walls and a rustic stone fireplace, but it was clean and very comfortable. The grounds were clean as well and the surrounding area serene. The beach was just a short walk away down a path. For someone who wants an antiseptic chain hotel feel, or resort, this isn't the place for you. There are no extra amenities and you will feel truly as if you are in a lodge or cabin setting, but provisions are adequate. The owners and staff work hard to keep the place in great shape and the breakfast served in the front office area is no frills but adequate. We had a small balcony off our room and and could hear the ocean at night. With the addition of the owner's beautiful and friendly cat Smokey to keep us company, we felt right at home as we missed our cats. Much of the Oregon coast is still undeveloped by huge chains and impersonal strip malls, this lodge retain part of that rustic old coast feel, and many of us appreciate that. Face it, the Oregon coast has a wet climate, you are going to find a little mildew here and there and if you want a resort that has a sterile atmosphere with little personality, go spend a fortune somewhere else. Reasonably priced and memorable!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

We stayed in the Sequoia room - Room 18.

First the positives - they live up to the rustic name, the fireplace was nice, good tv channel choices & checking out was effortless.

Now the negatives - the room smelled bad - it was very musty. The room was far from ocean front - what we had was an ocean view. The room should be billed as parking lot front, as people were in front of our sliding glass door in the back of the room getting out of their cars. Limited hours for "breakfast" - which is done, I'm sure to get you out earlier.

This was very rustic & basic - no extras whatsoever. We more than likely won't stay again. For $149 a night plus tax, we expected more. It's a typical Oregon coast stay though - if spending under $175-200 a night, you're going to get a "rustic" place.

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

I called and made reservations for Unit 20, but when I got there, a mix-up had occurred and they gave us Cypress Cabin instead. It was WONDERFUL! We have been to the Irelands several times, but never stayed in the Cypress. It had the wood burning fireplace, knotty pine walls, and so cozy and nice! This place is indescribeable! We love it here and would recommend it to anyone. It's clean and most of all, AFFORDABLE! So many places on the Oregon coast are sky high in price. This one... you get a lot of BANG for your BUCK! When you sit in these cabins, you feel like you're a million miles from civilization... it is great! And we walked down the street for dinner. The management gave us coupons for discount dinners at two local establishments. COME HERE.. you won't be disappointed!!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

We absolutely loved our stay at Ireland's Rustic Lodges! We had a stand-alone cabin with a balcony, wood-burning fireplace, vaulted ceilings, interior cedar panelling, and two easy-chairs to enjoy the fire in. The ocean view was superb - you could see the waves crashing on the beach even when lying in bed! All of the service staff were so nice and helpful, the beds were comfortable, and the room even came with an adorable, flluffy gray cat! The fireplaces are great, and the staff refill your woodbox everyday (we had a fire 3 of the 4 nights we stayed there). I cannot convey what a wonderful experience we had - we plan to try to come back on each of our anniversaries.

Some people might not like the "rustic" touches (no phones, and not the most attractive sink area), but everything worked great, and my husband and I were perfectly happy to not have a phone to disturb us. The cabins have TVs with cable, microwaves, and refrigerators, so they aren't entirely rustic.

When we were there, the new owners were building new spas - two spas on a wooden deck surrounded by plexiglass, almost right on the beach. Pretty soon, you'll be able to sit in a spa, and watch the sunset on the beach without the wind (which we discovered is ever present in Gold Beach).

When we went to a bed and breakfast near Mount Shasta later in our trip, we discovered that every one of the other guests had stayed at the Lodges and loved it!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

Following a popular Travel with Your Dog book's recommendation we stopped at Ireland's Lodges and requested one of the few rooms that allows dogs rather than rent an entire cottage for only one night. (Rooms 25, 26 & 27 for those curious.) These three room are in one building lined up next to each other and all have a glass sliding back door that opens on to a large grassy area. This make it convenient for taking Fido for a walk - though there's a wood railing you have to get over first while your dog, if small enough, can go right through it. By following a rough trail, the beach is a short 5 minute walk away.

The room was large with an excellent heater. The decor is very "woodsy" with dark paneling and high beamed rough wood ceiling. Two queen beds, several comfy armchairs and a small TV (with HBO and other cable channels) also graced the room. An added bonus was the minifridge. Excellent shower with tons of hot water and pressure. To get to the rooms you must go down a short flight of stairs though the rooms themselves are all on one level.

The Comfort Suite Hotel right next door owns and operates Ireland's Rustic Lodges and it was there we had to go to check in, grab our breakfast in the morning and check out. They gave us a coupon for dinner (15% off) at Spinners Seafood, Steak & Chophouse just up the street which was a good place to eat, lots of ambiance overlooking the ocean. We learned that Ireland's Lodges once belonged to the Ireland sisters which is how it aquired it's name.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Ireland's Rustic Lodges? Share your experiences!